Battery for SL2 issues

Sheepdog1512

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After shooting for a few minutes (or after a certain number of shots), the EVF displays a message that “burst shooting or recording in 4K is not available” (or something similar to that). Even though I am using a fresh battery, completely charged, the battery level quickly goes to the 50-75% range. I have the camera (SL2) set to shoot in high burst mode and I may get about 50 or so shots before this message is displayed. If you can only get 50 or so shots on high burst mode, this makes the battery/camera very limited if you need these high burst rates. Since I am new to Leica, I guess I have something set wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.

55 minutes ago, Sheepdog1512 said:

After shooting for a few minutes (or after a certain number of shots), the EVF displays a message that “burst shooting or recording in 4K is not available” (or something similar to that). Even though I am using a fresh battery, completely charged, the battery level quickly goes to the 50-75% range. I have the camera (SL2) set to shoot in high burst mode and I may get about 50 or so shots before this message is displayed. If you can only get 50 or so shots on high burst mode, this makes the battery/camera very limited if you need these high burst rates. Since I am new to Leica, I guess I have something set wrong. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Leeeemeeeee guess: Pana or Sigma lens?

My guess is that it's the Sigma EF adapter. Unfortunately, EF lenses don't have the same power management data as L-Mount lenses, so the SL-2 errs on the safe side.

Sheepdog, you should make sure that your camera and your L-Mount lenses have the latest firmware. That seems to have fixed most power issues, although not for adapted EF lenses.

• Thanks 1

yes, heavier sigma and Panasonic lenses like 105 f1.4 and 70-200 f2.8 will draw way more power on the SL2 and so the battery indicator goes crazy when using those.. even smaller size third party lenses show some odd behavior on the SL2.. I purchased 3 batteries for that reason.. don't quite like the battery grips so never got that.. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, aksclix said:

yes, heavier sigma and Panasonic lenses like 105 f1.4 and 70-200 f2.8 will draw way more power on the SL2 and so the battery indicator goes crazy when using those.. even smaller size third party lenses show some odd behavior on the SL2.. I purchased 3 batteries for that reason.. don't quite like the battery grips so never got that.. 

I think the sigma adapter for EF lenses is the absolute worse in power consumption  no matter if you have a manual lens with no electronic on it or a simple AF lens.

I have the grip and it does deliver power, but there are so many thing wrong on it.
-No shutter lock on grip.
-batttery ofter discharge in camera first.
- U have to remove grip to change battery in camera.
- When you remove battery from grip and the battery in camera is full, the camera turns OFF. so no long recording or time-lapse possible with swapping batteries.

Edited by Photoworks
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

I think the sigma adapter for EF lenses is the absolute worse in power consumption  no matter if you have a manual lens with no electronic on it or a simple AF lens.

I have the grip and it does deliver power, but there are so many thing wrong on it.
-No shutter lock on grip.
-batttery ofter discharge in camera first.
- U have to remove grip to change battery in camera.
- When you remove battery from grip and the battery in camera is full, the camera turns OFF. so no long recording or time-lapse possible with swapping batteries.

Oh! Those are surprisingly dumb design choices.. glad I didn’t get the grip 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 1:15 PM, BernardC said:

My guess is that it's the Sigma EF adapter. Unfortunately, EF lenses don't have the same power management data as L-Mount lenses, so the SL-2 errs on the safe side.

Sheepdog, you should make sure that your camera and your L-Mount lenses have the latest firmware. That seems to have fixed most power issues, although not for adapted EF lenses.

Camera is updated. I will check the lens  thank you!

• 1 month later...