Leica 90mm Macro Elmar

LeicaS2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My Macro Elmar M 90mm is a favorite lens

I choose  to use an M system for its compactness with quality.

So I also choose compact lenses which for the most part are quite compact versus autofocus lenses. But when I wanted a medium telephoto, the 75mm and 90mm lenses get long and relatively heavy compared to the other M lenses. The collapsable 90 MEM has been the answer for me.

Maybe in the days of film, I might have needed the extra stop or two of bigger faster lenses in low light. Recent advances in ISO range mean f4 is not an issue for low light.  Depth of field on a 90 @f4 at six feet is quite close to the 2.0 Cron.  Specifically  four inches vs two inches.  Frankly if you are using a 90 for a portrait wide open at f2.0 or faster you should consider autofocus rather than manual. The collapsed size and weight of the MEM versus Cron is half the weight and half the length. The MEM is one of the sharpest lenses Leica makes for the M.

The result is that when I am going out, even if I am thinking 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, or 50mm and have that lens on my camera, tucking my 90mm MEM in my pocket gives me a lot of flexibility for very little space or weight. See that photo of my jeans? There is a collapsed 90 MEM in my left pocket. That insurance of the 90 in a pocket has paid off so many times.

I have also gone out with the little 90 on the camera and found people very relaxed having their picture taken with what looks like a very unimposing camera and lens vs my autofocus S-120mm on my S. Admittedly the 90mm MEM  on an M is not a macho looking combo and I think that’s a positive.

Note that I have not mentioned Macro. Yes, that’s in its name, but without the adapter it is not a macro lens. I initially bought it without the adapter and only after watching a Red Dot Forum video purchased the adapter, but I’m not really a super close up photographer. On that video Josh sings the praises of the 90mm MEM, and so do I.

Do you have one, or want one?

Jack

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Leica S2,  Thank you for sharing your 90mm Elmar photographs.  The lens is a real Leica M gem.  Although I currently don't own the lens now, but when I did, it delivered exceptionally highly resolving, crisp photographs.  It is a compact masterpiece IMO.  In years past, I used it for my personal works for macro and portrait photographs.  I found the lens renders the character of a person's face is a unique way, very much like your most exceptional post portrait photograph.  When I would do personal exhibits of my different genres of works taken with this particular lens, the viewers often commented how they were drawn into the photograph and look into subject's eyes.  Most often those photographs were of people with years of character scupted into their face and eyes.  I recall one woman once said to me, "The eyes are the window to person's soul".   I think she was correct.  The M 90mm Macro Elmar renders in a unique way on various levels and IMO, all good.  Keep creating...and again, thanks for sharing.  r/ Mark