Almost traded my Q2M for an M10M…..

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I REALLY want an M10M so I can use all my M glass on an M body - it’s fantastic on the SL2, but for street especially I’d like to try a 35mm on an M10M. Nearly traded my Q2M today for an M10M (plus cash) - but I realized that it is a unique camera in and of itself, and as much as I would like an M Monochrom, I’d miss the Q2M package. I really think Leica nailed this camera, the sum is greater than the parts. Curious if anyone else has traded up and what your thoughts were after doing so. Figure I would just save longer and buy the M10M outright in a few months.

Edited by trickness

Nope... got tempted also with a M10M and even a M10-R, the last one has an upgrade from a M240

Thing is, the M240 does all I need, and I don't need better than the  Q2M - which I am not sure the m10m is....also I Ilke the Q format for a monochrome, ...The regular Q2 does not fit me as color sensor 

I think you made the right move.  I currently have the Q2M (used to have the Q2), SL-2-S and the 35 and 75 APO Summicron-SL lenses.  I tend to convert anything wider than 35mm to monochrome and I think the SL2-S has better colors than the SL2 (which I also used to own).  The ability to crop the Q2M files with a full 47MP of grey tones allows incredible versatility, and between the Q2M and SL2-S low light performance is never an issue.

If a SL2M is released I would love to try it - the contrast, microcontrast, sharpness and rendering of the APO Summicron-SL lenses combined with the resolution and (assumingly) better low light performance than the SL2 should produce stellar images.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 2:20 AM, Dr. G said:

I think you made the right move.  I currently have the Q2M (used to have the Q2), SL-2-S and the 35 and 75 APO Summicron-SL lenses.  I tend to convert anything wider than 35mm to monochrome and I think the SL2-S has better colors than the SL2 (which I also used to own).  The ability to crop the Q2M files with a full 47MP of grey tones allows incredible versatility, and between the Q2M and SL2-S low light performance is never an issue.

If a SL2M is released I would love to try it - the contrast, microcontrast, sharpness and rendering of the APO Summicron-SL lenses combined with the resolution and (assumingly) better low light performance than the SL2 should produce stellar images.

That's a good combination.  I also had the SL2 and sold that as well, so my Q2M is now paired with the M10R.  My M lenses are 35mm APO, 50mm APO and 50 Noctilux (the recently reissued f1.2).  I've thought about adding a 75mm, but the 50mm APO is so good and a slight crop to 75mm is perfectly feasible.  The Noctilux is just something different - good fun to play around with.  

I still have a regular Q2 but it doesn't get much use, so that maybe my next sale.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, T25UFO said:

That's a good combination.  I also had the SL2 and sold that as well, so my Q2M is now paired with the M10R.  My M lenses are 35mm APO, 50mm APO and 50 Noctilux (the recently reissued f1.2).  I've thought about adding a 75mm, but the 50mm APO is so good and a slight crop to 75mm is perfectly feasible.  The Noctilux is just something different - good fun to play around with.  

I still have a regular Q2 but it doesn't get much use, so that maybe my next sale.

I thought about the M10R and, when I had the original SL, I had the 50 APO M and loved it.  I do a lot of low light photography which is why I chose the SL2-S to pair with the Q2M.  Better high ISO performance and the image stabilization is worlds better than my Sony Alpha 1.  As I get used to the focus system on the SL series I’m thinking of selling the alpha 1.  I’ve slowed down in the way I shoot and, although the eye-AF of the Sony is stellar, even with the GM lenses I much prefer the imagery I achieve with my Leica glass.

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2021 at 10:47 AM, Ba Erv said:

I’m relieved to know some people have the sense to swerve at the last moment instead of staying on the GAS.

Yeah I came really close to doing the swap, but I really did think to myself “is this going to make my work any better, or do I just want it because I want it?” - And if I’m being honest, I just wanted it. I don’t think the photographs would be really different at all, other than the fact that I could use different focal lengths. I’m confident I will get an M Monochrom camera at some point, but at the moment it’s a good feeling just bonding with one camera so it becomes an extension of my hand. The Q2M really is a fantastic piece of kit.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, trickness said:

Yeah I came really close to doing the swap, but I really did think to myself “is this going to make my work any better, or do I just want it because I want it?” - And if I’m being honest, I just wanted it. I don’t think the photographs would be really different at all, other than the fact that I could use different focal lengths. I’m confident I will get an M Monochrom camera at some point, but at the moment it’s a good feeling just bonding with one camera so it becomes an extension of my hand. The Q2M really is a fantastic piece of kit.

In hindsight I wish I would’ve had the willpower to resist…I’d be $12,000 smarter.

• Haha 1