Serial Numbers about the 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M III

Movelv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, it is my first post on this forum

Most Leica lens have their serial numbers on the inscription. However, I saw some of the 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M III without serial numbers on their inscription.

I can sure it is a 28mm Elmarit 3rd version because it come with the hood 12536.

The inscription of this lens is  : " LEITZ LENS MADE IN CANADA ELMARIT-M 1:2.8/28 "

According to the wiki page about 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M III, it was possible that the inscription write as " LEITZ LENS MADE IN CANADA ELMARIT 1:2.8/28" 

The only difference is "Elmarit" and "Elmarit-M" 

How can I find the serial number of the lens in this case?

Thanks,

Hello a.noctilux,

I only saw the photo of that lens and didn't get one on my hand. But when I looked at the photo carefully I did find a part of the serial number at the rear of aperture ring.

The serial is 316XXXX. Thanks for your help, it is very useful !

May I ask why some lens had different inscription? Especially for the 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M III.

The wiki said that all 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit II and 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M IV don't have such problem, they only have one type of inscription that with the serial number.

I can't find more information from the wiki.

Thanks,

26 minutes ago, Movelv said:

...May I ask why some lens had different inscription? Especially for the 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M III.

The wiki said that all 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit II and 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M IV don't have such problem, they only have one type of inscription that with the serial number...

As you have probably seen on the wiki entry for the v3 it seems that there were two styles of engraving used;

"LEITZ LENS MADE IN CANADA ELMARIT 1:2.8/28" and "LEITZ ELMARIT 1:2.8/28 3XXXXXX".

Here's the link on the off-chance that you haven't yet seen it;

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/28mm_f/2.8_Elmarit-M_III

From these two versions it would look likely that the first mentioned - with 'Made in Canada' on the front ring - has the serial number engraved on the barrel of the lens whilst the second swapped these places and has the ser. no. on the front ring and will have 'Made in Canada' engraved on the barrel.

Similar things have been noticed on other lenses - such as the 90mm f2.8 'Thin' Tele-Elmarit.

Sometimes things change. Nothing to worry about.

Philip.

Leica has used the aperture ring as a "fall-back position" for serial numbers, if the other lens engraving gets to be too wordy to allow room. Numerous lenses from about 1980± due to the "Made In Canada" wording - but also the 75mm APO-Summicron-M-ASPH (whew!).

Not sure when the filter-size engraving (e.g. E49) started being used - maybe when production migrated to the Solms factory after 1986 or so.

Edited by adan