M10-R original leather strap rubbing off the camera

hirohhhh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not that I don't like wear on the camera, but this kind of wear from the strap doesn't look pleasing to me. Leica put the leather bumpers to protect from metal rings scratching the camera, but now the paint starts wearing off by the leather just after a month of more-or-less everyday use. It's not much YET, but it will be completely removed in a few months if I continue carrying my camera around my neck with this strap. Am I doing something wrong? What's your experience?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A piece of leather that covers the upper part and it's done 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hirohhhh said:

Not that I don't like wear on the camera, but this kind of wear from the strap doesn't look pleasing to me. Leica put the leather bumpers to protect from metal rings scratching the camera, but now the paint starts wearing off by the leather just after a month of more-or-less everyday use. It's not much YET, but it will be completely removed in a few months if I continue carrying my camera around my neck with this strap. Am I doing something wrong? What's your experience?

Had you tried to erase with a rubber eraser ?

Maybe it's only trace of the leather strap and not the metallic body "rubbing" ?

It's a typical "sign" of the M10 range - most of them have it after a while of use. I have it, too, on my M10 which I bought used. It came with this kind of wear. On your black one you could try to use some black adhesive tape. It doesn't look exactly good but it does the job.

I would have wished that Leica used a different material or some kind of protection on a luxury tool like this😕

Edited by Knipsknecht
  • Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb hirohhhh:

This seems normal to me. My M10 looks the same. 

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb elmars:

If You want that Your Leica looks unused then do not use it. But it is a tool, it is made to use it. 

Sorry, Elmar, but that answer is a little too cheap - at least for me. I am not a collector and of course I use my tools. But especially on such very expensive tools I would like to see a little bit more diligence in respect to surface treatment. If the surface isn't able to withstand the rubbing of the leather protectors of the straps, something has gone wrong. Other cameras, much cheaper cameras can be used and abused much harder without any sign of it. The coating of the M10 is definitely not a premium product.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Knipsknecht said:

Sorry, Elmar, but that answer is a little too cheap - at least for me. I am not a collector and of course I use my tools. But especially on such very expensive tools I would like to see a little bit more diligence in respect to surface treatment. If the surface isn't able to withstand the rubbing of the leather protectors of the straps, something has gone wrong. Other cameras, much cheaper cameras can be used and abused much harder without any sign of it. The coating of the M10 is definitely not a premium product.

I offer my agreement with this view.  While my M10P Safari looks cool or vintage or whatever people think, I am frankly surprised at the fragility of the surface treatment on this camera.  It wears no better than a good coat of Rustoleum applied in my garage.

• Haha 1

My 11 months old Silver M10-R that was also used daily with a Leica leather strap has zero signs of wear in the same area.

Is this only a "problem" with the Black version?

Anyhow, I personally wouldn't be bothered much by this but I understand someone can be a bit upset if the coating of an 8k EUR camera wears off like this..

vor einer Stunde schrieb Knipsknecht:

This coating has a long tradition. The M9 had another one, but too many of us wanted the old one back - for them part of the Leica look and feel regardless the disadvantages. I myself was never a big fan of it. But due to environmetal law reasons it has no future anyway. 

4 hours ago, TeleElmar135mm said:

My M262 has a plastic stick at the side of the body. Perhaps you can order one in Wetzlar and put it on - or a linen ribbon tape from Tesa (it's nicer than the duck tape from Apollo 13 :) )

The plastic protectors were integral to the top plate, not glued on, and presumably removed from the M10 to improve weather sealing.  But there are alternative add-on solutions discussed in this thread…

I use Leica #14312 straps on my Ms, and added a simple leather ‘donut’ piece to my M10 bodies to avoid rubbing the top plate. I don’t baby my cameras.. wear is normal…but I haven’t seen any strap rub marks on either my silver M10 or black M10 Monochrom.

Jeff

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jeff S said:

The plastic protectors were integral to the top plate, not glued on, and presumably removed from the M10 to improve weather sealing.  But there are alternative add-on solutions discussed in this thread…

I use Leica #14312 straps on my Ms, and added a simple leather ‘donut’ piece to my M10 bodies to avoid rubbing the top plate. I don’t baby my cameras.. wear is normal…but I haven’t seen any strap rub marks on either my silver M10 or black M10 Monochrom.

Jeff

I use those on my M10 series. I’ve made them myself from protective automotive tape.

I like wear on Ms, especially brass on black paint versions. Maybe I'll like mine, when it starts wearing on other parts too, so it shows the actual usage of the camera, around the shutter release button, or wherever I put my fingers the most often. It's still new and the only wear I can see now is from the strap, and that bothers me a little bit. It looks like I'm not touching the camera, just wearing around my neck, which is not true :)

My experience. M7 & black paint M9 I had were unmarked after a decade of constant use. (Both feature plastic tabs on top plate.) Black chrome M-A (no plastic tabs on top plate) started to show visible wear from the leather strap almost immediately. Not through to the brass yet, just very obvious scuff marks. I bought it to use and am careful with equipment. I was somewhat surprised as black chrome is supposed to be a durable finish. Brand new camera felt secondhand very quickly! I think it’s unavoidable. Don't worry. 

I see virtually no wear from strap rubbing on my four year old chrome M10. On my black chrome M10-P which I acquired in July, I am seeing wear from the strap rubbing. I just put some small pieces of gaffer tape above the strap lugs. It does seem that the current black chrome is not as durable as it used to be.

Factor in the fact that black chrome is not environmentally friendly, but apparently silver chrome is OK in this regard, it will be interesting to see what the future finishes will be.

• Like 2

Black chrome gets scuff marks quite easily. I got some marks on the top plate of my M6TTL from the velcro inside the camera bag. M10 has marks from the strap. Black chrome will expose a grey surface when worn off, not yellow brassing like black paint Leicas (e.g. M9). There are several threads on this topic.