M10-R original leather strap rubbing off the camera

hirohhhh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This seems to be typical of all of the M10s in black chrome. My M10-P has seen a lot of use and it shows extreme wear. My M8 seems to have much more durable finish, although it is also starting to show wear.

Perhaps the chemical treatment was changed due to environmental reasons? The "black chrome" is very similar to parkerizing found on firearms which will show similar wear under heavy use.

The obvious solution is to use a strap that won't damage the camera. Here is a Peak anchor with the original Leica a-la-carte strap.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Happened to me as well. It‘s just utterly embarrassing from Leica that they are not able to deliver the camera with a strap that does not fuck up the camera after a few days. And they even have straps with protective sleeves!

Imagine another luxury brand like Lamborghini would deliver their car with an add-on that would scratch the car, people would freak out!

7 hours ago, trequartista said:

Happened to me as well. It‘s just utterly embarrassing from Leica that they are not able to deliver the camera with a strap that does not fuck up the camera after a few days. And they even have straps with protective sleeves!

Imagine another luxury brand like Lamborghini would deliver their car with an add-on that would scratch the car, people would freak out!

Yeah but you can’t take a photo with a Lamborghini, just as you can’t tear up a race track with a Leica.  Equally, driving a Lamborghini at all will cause the tyres to wear. 

Seriously, if you don’t want to see any strap wear, don’t use a strap. I don’t, and I far prefer it. I use a Billingham 72 in lieu of a strap, which offers both protection and a very comfortable way of carrying the camera with no noticeable added bulk. 

As for Leica being embarrassed, well that’s probably unlikely, but who knows?

I am sure Leica will not be "embarrassed" by the M10-R supplied strap. But they should be ashamed. I just traded away my M10 for an R, and when I saw that crappy little strap, I quickly removed the strap from my M10 and put it on the R. That strap is also from Leica, but it's the nylon one with the non-slip rubberized shoulder pad and metal rings secured by plastic locks. The part # is 14312. IMHO, I think it is the best strap in the world, and I use one on all of my cameras, Leica or not.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 hours ago, lukeadair said:

The part # is 14312. IMHO, I think it is the best strap in the world, and I use one on all of my cameras, Leica or not.

I use it as well, but on any M10 based camera, I add a small round leather ‘donut’ over the lug before attaching the strap to prevent abrasions to the top plate, since the M10 platform eliminated the built-in plastic protector piece (presumably to improve weather sealing) that had been present above the lugs on earlier M models.

Jeff

• Like 1

18 hours ago, lukeadair said:

I am sure Leica will not be "embarrassed" by the M10-R supplied strap. But they should be ashamed. I just traded away my M10 for an R, and when I saw that crappy little strap, I quickly removed the strap from my M10 and put it on the R. That strap is also from Leica, but it's the nylon one with the non-slip rubberized shoulder pad and metal rings secured by plastic locks. The part # is 14312. IMHO, I think it is the best strap in the world, and I use one on all of my cameras, Leica or not.

You should try the Upstrap. Similar to the Leica strap but stays even more securely on the shoulder imo, without any shrugging. I've used them for the last 25 years. The company changed it's name at some point but I got one of the new "Friendship" models for my M10-R BP and love it. https://journeycamera.com

Ived use these for years and are perfect for protecting from strap wear. From deadcamera straps

Edited by cboy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just paste a  normal clear stationery Scotch Tape. Cheap and good. Can see thru regardless of Black or Chrome body and yet it offers so much protection. I use this method on My Leica M10R Black Paint and Leica MP Black Paint. Frankly, with the Scotch Tape on, you don't even notice it exists unless on very close inspection!

3 hours ago, Ryuuenji said:

Just paste a  normal clear stationery Scotch Tape. Cheap and good. Can see thru regardless of Black or Chrome body and yet it offers so much protection. I use this method on My Leica M10R Black Paint and Leica MP Black Paint. Frankly, with the Scotch Tape on, you don't even notice it exists unless on very close inspection!

In that case, I'd rather have naturally wear body than scotch tape on it :) It all good now, after having it for almost a year, it started to wear naturally everywhere and I don't care anymore for that one spot around the straps.

It’s gonna happen. That strap though is really tough. I don’t like it. But yea. It’s gonna rub and rub and you’ll see marks. Most used M10 or 10P are going to have those marks. I like marks on my Leica. Sometimes I just rub it on purpose to see if I can rub out a little paint. The 10P takes a golden hue after a while. I guess the 10R will be the same.

Keep rubbing and tugging… if you know what I mean. Mark away. Unlike other cameras Leicas look better scratched and worn. And you got the best one. The M10R. This is probably going to be yours forever. When it breaks, send it to fix it. This is yours to scratch and dent all you want. 

10 years from now you should look at that scratch which should be much worse by then and say; oh yea, I remember that started with the Leica strap. This deep scratch here I got it getting up from a coffee place in Europe. And this chunk came off when I was at the beach in Thailand and rubbed it up against a rock. Each mark should be unique and have a story. Leicas are like diamonds.. forever  

Edited by KeyofG
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 12:12 AM, jaapv said:

use a strap that won't damage the camera

Lets not be dramatic. The only strap that can “damage” a camera is the one that breaks and your camera going crashing down to the pavement. 

Scratches don’t damage cameras. Scratches should be welcomed. It makes your camera yours.