Is shooting film still worth it in 2022 ?

Steven

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, otto.f said:

No one ever owns a mechanical Leica, we just look after them until it's the next persons turn. 

3 minutes ago, otto.f said:

??? I own an M4 since 1990, and many Luf members with me, what are you talking about?

It is an old advertising quote from a Patek Philippe watch ad. "

"You never actually own a Patek Philippe.
You merely look after it for the next generation."

Edited by Al Brown

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

logan2z

I don't necessarily shoot film for the 'look' of the final result, although that's a nice side benefit.  I shoot it because I was tired of sitting in front of a computer, endlessly staring at a screen and dicking around with post-processing software.  I'm also sick and tired of constantly having to charge batteries for every single thing I touch.  Film divorces me from computers, screens and software and lets me focus on photography.  I pick up my M-A or M4 and it's ready to shoot.  My camera is

Herr Barnack

@Steven  Here are a couple of images made with a film MP, a 90/2 APO (the two monks) and a 50/1.4 Summilux pre-ASPH and Kodak Tri-X developed in D-76 (click on image for high res view). I'm not so sure this visual fingerprint can be reproduced with a digital M to be 100% the same - perhaps close, but not 100%.  Maybe I'm wrong, but that's JMHO.  The prints that resulted from these negs were scanned and made by inkjet printer simply because my printer no longer maintains a wet darkroom.

Steven

Just receive some Cinestill C41 mix and the Cinestill temperature controller.  Just developed this test roll of Portra 160 at home and scanned with a plustek 8200 that I had laying around. These are the non edited photos.  If you ask me, apart from the dust and scratches on some shots, I did a better job than all my labs in Paris ever did for me. And I didn't focus yet. I was on the phone during the dev and I leaked the Blix all over the floor.  Developing this roll cost me only 1

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Steven said:

After loving to shoot with a Mamiya 6 for the past month, I just ordered a Mamiya 7ii, to experiment with 6x7. Such a great camera. It's the M7 of medium format: AE, rangefinder, awesome lens, more compact than anything else... 

Yes! I regret that I sold it after my hikes in Patagonia. I found my Chamonix 4x5” a bit overdone, given the fact that these hikes don’t always give you a wealth of time to reach the next refuge. My experience is that 6x7 is a lot more than 6x6. Enlargements of 50x60cm are stunningly sharp with the 65mm on the 7ii. All the lenses for this camera are great btw. 

6 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

It is an old advertising quote from a Patek Philippe watch ad. "

"You never actually own a Patek Philippe.
You merely look after it for the next generation."

Thanks but still, I sold my first M4 for an M6, but I found the M6 rather fragile compared to the M4 so I turned back to it. 

16 minutes ago, otto.f said:

??? I own an M4 since 1990, and many Luf members with me, what are you talking about?

Someone had it before you, someone will have it after you. Mechanical M's are more than the sum of their parts. Like a '59 Les Paul or the 70 year old Omega I wore to work today (previously my grandfathers - he's still alive and loves to see me wearing it), a mechanical M is just something the photographer takes care of for a little while (or a long while) before it moves on to do other things. 

One person with ten Leica's is worse for the world than ten people with one Leica. They should all be out there doing what they were made to be doing (and no one can shoot ten cameras at once!). This hoarding "the person who dies with the most crap wins" mentality is bad for the planet and everyone on it. Some people have more money than anyone should have though and that's why we end up with millionaires burning a forests worth of carbon to fly along the edge of space just to feel something.

But I have swayed way off topic. Shoot what you like!  

EDIT:Al Brown is right, that is where that came from! A great bit of marketing that always stuck with me.

Edited by tedd

The Mamiya 7 is a great camera!

Anyhow, to the question, I find medium format digital has helped me get to a more filmic look much more easily than 35mm (the latter being digital Ms and SL2). In my case I got a GFX100S, but I really liked the rendering of others such as the Hassie X1D. What the medium format digital gives me is smoother transitions (better differentiation of shades of colour, and more smooth transitions between highlights/shadows), and it is this aspect that makes it easier for me to get to the look of film. Also, things like a Black Pro Mist filter can help (I often use the 1/4 now) to add some glow in the highlights, which looking at my E6 often seems to occur with film. 

Edited by Jon Warwick

Guest Nowhereman

I think photography is about light and emotion, which involves composition as well as "being in the moment" melded together in the direct act when pressing the shutter. This can be achieved by shooting either film or digital; but, for me, that means that the camera is a part of you that you don't need to be conscious or think about: there, then, is the zen moment of pressing the shutter and of interacting emotionally with the subject, whatever it is —  and, in my view, this applies equally to the dynamics of street photography or when photographing a still life or a setup portrait. 

If I wanted to shoot the equivalent of sone 20 rolls of film a week, I would do digital — and for the low-light facility I would also do digital, without thinking that in some images I could do better with film. I wouldn't be specifically thinking about how to make any one digital shot look like film — only how that shot itself looks and feels. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Steven said:

I've tried developing colour film, and I didn't like the process, nor the result. 

2 hours ago, Jon Warwick said:

Anyhow, to the question, I find medium format digital has helped me get to a more filmic look much more easily than 35mm (the latter being digital Ms and SL2). In my case I got a GFX100S, but I really liked the rendering of others such as the Hassie X1D. What the medium format digital gives me is smoother transitions (better differentiation of shades of colour, and more smooth transitions between highlights/shadows), and it is this aspect that makes it easier for me to get to the look of film. Also, things like a Black Pro Mist filter can help (I often use the 1/4 now) to add some glow in the highlights, which looking at my E6 often seems to occur with film. 

I have a GFX-R that I now use only for scanning. I too greatly prefer the Hassy's renderings.

But to my mind, there is no digital rendering (except maybe those of the Foveon sensors) quite as beautifully filmic as the Leica S. Really breathtaking. 

3 hours ago, Steven said:

After loving to shoot with a Mamiya 6 for the past month, I just ordered a Mamiya 7ii, to experiment with 6x7. Such a great camera. It's the M7 of medium format: AE, rangefinder, awesome lens, more compact than anything else... EDIT: oh, and every hipster on YouTube uses it. Like the M7/M6...

While I wouldn't trade my Mamiya 7 for anything, I recognize two shortcomings. 1. Its lenses produce more sharpness than character (in contrast to the Zeiss lenses for the Hassy and Rollei; 2. they are slower (the Mamiya 80mm is f/4 while the Zeiss is f/2.8). To get the sharpness that Mamiya lenses are capable of, a tripod is usually required. 

22 hours ago, Steven said:

This week, I shot 27 rolls of film. At around 15 euros per roll and 15 euros for the dev, I've spent 800+ euros just this week. 

I would quit instantly on film after this kind of spending. If not my wife would quit on me.

I cut on film use significantly this year. Keeping IIIc because it is nice to use once in a while  and M4-2 because one day third party digital retrofit kits will become abundant and it will be no reason to overpay for digital M anymore.

6 hours ago, Jon Warwick said:

Uh oh. I need a medium format digital camera now! 

Where can we see your work? 

2 hours ago, Steven said:

Sorry to be rude, but that's such a dumb comment. 

No, it isn’t. There are a limited number of them to go around and one person sitting on a pile like a dragon on treasure means others don’t get the opportunity to use them. Getting into the habit of doing that with other things also results in the waste of resources and excessive carbon going up into the atmosphere. 

Your attitude is selfish and if we all thought like that the planet will be burning in fifty years time. 

21 minutes ago, tedd said:

No, it isn’t. There are a limited number of them to go around and one person sitting on a pile like a dragon on treasure means others don’t get the opportunity to use them. Getting into the habit of doing that with other things also results in the waste of resources and excessive carbon going up into the atmosphere. 

Your attitude is selfish and if we all thought like that the planet will be burning in fifty years time. 

Yes, but then dragon craps they becomes available at better than average user shape. 

50 minutes ago, tedd said:

13 of my 14 MP bodies are collector items that were buried in a safe somewhere in Asia, for the past in ten years. I took them out to use them. I use them every.... wait. Why am I even justifying myself to you. I had already promised myself a while ago that I would never address people like you for the rest of my lifetime. Bye. 

10 hours ago, tedd said:

One person with ten Leica's is worse for the world than ten people with one Leica. They should all be out there doing what they were made to be doing (and no one can shoot ten cameras at once!). This hoarding "the person who dies with the most crap wins" mentality is bad for the planet and everyone on it. Some people have more money than anyone should have though and that's why we end up with millionaires burning a forests worth of carbon to fly along the edge of space just to feel something.

I've got 6 Leicas, 4 are digital 2 are film and I use them all although not all at once. I'm not hoarding them I like the flexibility I get from multiple bodies simple as that.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb tedd:

Nothing of this is really true!

There are sufficient used M available, so everybody who wants one can buy one. Or even 2 or 10, there would be still enough.Also you can go to eBay and buy one or some dozens of M cameras, I counted about 1000 offers there.

We (at least me and probably you) do not live in red China, where this kind of “resources” might be allotted to requesters by a distribution factor. We just work hard enough to be able to buy whatever we can afford.

I have to agree fully with Steven.

Edited by Helge

5 hours ago, Steven said:

Sorry to be rude, but that's such a dumb comment. 

Agree. Twenty Leica MPs cost less a than a new BMW 5 Series. As for film M cameras, Lwiki, which we know is not current, indicates there were over 700,000 produced.  Plenty to go around at reasonable prices. 

We all have our own priorities.