Leica Perspective Control . Any experience to Share?

Leica Land

Well, the perspective control is quite a useful tool in my opinion. Of course, this can also be done in post-processing, but if there are no vertical lines in the image, then it is not easy to get the perspective right, and with the frame displayed, you can quickly estimate the usable area. And you can undo it very easily in Lightroom if you don't like it.

Greetings

Wolfram

• Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 1:43 PM, strohscw said:

Well, the perspective control is quite a useful tool in my opinion. Of course, this can also be done in post-processing, but if there are no vertical lines in the image, then it is not easy to get the perspective right, and with the frame displayed, you can quickly estimate the usable area. And you can undo it very easily in Lightroom if you don't like it.

Greetings

Wolfram

thank you

I find it moderately useful. I don't normally shoot stuff like architecture so haven't used the in-camera function, where it shows the edges of the corrected image, much. But the extra data is always written to the file and it will tell Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw what to do if you select the "Guided" option under the perspective transforms. This can really be quite nice if I haven't got it quite straight, or had to shoot from a slightly strange angle.

I think it has been implemented very intelligently and there is no real down-side as long as you process raw files rather than in-camera JPEGs.

John

The following applies only for raw files.

The perspective control (PC) feature consists of two parts—the first part stores the pitch and roll angle in the raw file. The data is always stored regardless of whether you have turned the PC on or off. It means that you can do automatic leveling or vertical transformation with any file created with the appropriate firmware installed.

The second part shows correction lines in live view and EVF and helps determine optimal framing when perspective control (pitch and roll) is applied.

Note that the corrections applied in Adobe software are modifiable.

I do not always use it, but I find perspective control very helpful. Sometimes I use it only for leveling. I wish my other cameras would also implement it.

• Like 1