TTArtisan 28mm f5.6

davorb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve had mine for over a week now. I attached it to my mp and have only shot a roll through it. Haven’t developed the roll, so I can’t comment on the image it makes but it sure handles well. It’s tiny, and feels solid. Only two critiques I have so far is that it’s so small it’s hard to change the aperture while the camera is up to your eye. Also the hood screw and design doesn’t hold up too well. Just the slightest bump of wiggle with make it offset on the lens, leading it to eventually fall off. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, pippy said:

Well; "Talk of the Devil" / "Cause and Effect"?...

This morning, four hours after having written my post #158 (and at 03:30 so the notification to my 'phone woke me up!.....grrrr...), I received this automated update from Pergear;

"Your order is on the way!...Your order is on the way. Track your shipment to see the delivery status...."

I have not yet checked to see whether it's still in China; in transit heading this way or wherever but at least I know it's now on its way to me...

Philip.

EDIT : Having just checked the Tracking Number on the WanbExpress website(*) it has an entry underneath the heading; "Origin (Carrier) / GB : United Kingdom";

"Lastest Event --21-12-16 02:05----Parcel Data Received"

As a guess does that simply mean that a UK postal carrier has received notification that the parcel is on its way?...

Philip.

* New to me! Has anyone used them previously? Any experiences to share?...

I had the same email from them when i bought my TT 50mm f0.95 ,as i recall it arrived pretty quickly after that [4 or 5 days] ,i checked the tracking and it had a chinese name at first but shortly after had "avonmouth" my local royal mail depot and was delivered by them either that day or the next.

Very similar experience with my 7 artisans 75mm lens and again royal mail.

Both my lenses were in stock already when ordered and i was amazed how quickly the arrived.

9 hours ago, NigelG said:

...less that 48hr from (China) to US customs clearance, but will apparently now take FedEx till Jan 31st to get it from Memphis to NYC (having paid for FedEx Expedited shipping...

On the upside, Nigel, I find it rather charming to know that FedEx are still relying on the serives of the Pony Express.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Haha 1

Well they must have got a faster horse as the lens arrived this morning so basically 7 days from placing the order...

First impressions - very nicely made from brass, dense and hefty with good quality satin chrome finishing. Nice slide on cap and very nice shallow brass rear cap - the only issue being that if you change lenses (like when I switched out my 28 Summicron ASPH v2 to mount it) you can't use the cap on the lens you've taken off...🙄

My copy seems to match the RF calibration on my M240P + Edition 60s but seems a tad out at nearer distances (as far as one can really tell with a 28 at f5.6) on my M9M. Given that that's the body I'll probably use it on the most I might try tweaking it - it is adjustable like their other M lenses. Seems to be easily sharp enough in the centre but I haven't really tested it yet - although I don't think I'll be using it for anything where across-frame sharpness is at all critical.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Probably used one of those new-fangled 'Iron Horse' things that I've heard folks talk about...

Seven days start to finish is rather impressive! I haven't had a look to see what status mine has since the e-mail arrived a couple of days ago but it will arrive when it arrives and that's pretty much all there is to it.

I wonder why there seems to be a fashion for shallow rear caps these days. The Light Lens Lab '8 Element' 35mm Summicron re-creation I picked up a fortnight ago also has a short-depth metal rear cap. I bought a few generic M-mount rear caps last week partly so that I can use one for the 8-E when it comes out to play if I have other lenses in the bag. I suppose I should ear-mark another for the TTA.

Slightly disappointed to read that your TTA might need some fine adjustment. I, too, will be expecting to use mine primarily with an M Monochrom and it would be interesting to know what its distance-performance stopped-down would be like if the lens was calibrated to work 'properly' wide-open and close up. I suppose I will find out the situation for myself in due course.  Watch This Space...

Philip.

I think it’s only because my M9M finder is a bit off compared to my others…I don’t think it’s a lens issue.

I’ve been meaning to send the M9M to DAG with my black 50 Lux ASPH to get the RF readjusted to suit as that lens is perfect on my other bodies but needs the “slippy” aperture ring tightening to match the feel of my silver chrome version…

In the meantime I can employ the supplied little screwdriver…

• Like 1

I ordered mine on the 17th and it left China on the 19th will see how long it takes. I have also added the 7Artisans 28mm f 1.4 "fe plus" version and the 75mm f 1.25 so far I am very happy with the results I have gotten from both of them. Both of those are on the larger size and I use them on my Sigma fp as they remind me more of a L glass in size then a nice compact M lens. My other 28 mm lens is a Elmarit so these 28mm lenses are one too big, one too small and one just right. So far I really like the 1.4 and use it more often wide open, time will tell which one gets used the most.

14 hours ago, NigelG said:

I think it’s only because my M9M finder is a bit off compared to my others…I don’t think it’s a lens issue......In the meantime I can employ the supplied little screwdriver…

Would you not be better served by taking a wee Allen Key to the R/F cam of your M Monochrome, Nigel? If it's the body and not the lens which is out surely it would make more sense? It's adjustment also involves a LOT less faffing-around!...

Philip.

I’ve tried but it’s not the simple infinity adjustment of the cam roller but a more complex interaction involving bending the arm/adjusting the stop point I think.
The lens adjustment via the 3 screws is simpler until I get the camera to DAG…but I’ll test it a bit more first to see how “off” it is in proper use before adjusting it.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, NigelG said:

I’ve tried but it’s not the simple infinity adjustment of the cam roller but a more complex interaction involving bending the arm/adjusting the stop point I think.
The lens adjustment via the 3 screws is simpler until I get the camera to DAG…but I’ll test it a bit more first to see how “off” it is in proper use before adjusting it.

If you manage an update I would be interested to know how the situation was resolved.

On a completely different matter if I may? The TTA has, as we know, a 37mm filter thread. Do you (or anyone else!), by the slightest chance, have an A36 cinch-clip filter to hand in order to check whether there is enough play - in seating terms - to enable these to work with these lenses instead? I don't mind buying a few more filters and the front rim of the TTA looks to be quite thick but I have this strangely quaint 'Three Filters in One' thing which I'd quite like to use for a bit of fun if possible. It was also Made in Scotland which is rather unusual;

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Philip.

Edited by pippy

On 12/13/2021 at 4:59 PM, pippy said:

I will look forward to reading your comments once you have had the chance to carry out some useful comparison images. I don't really care too much about whether or not it performs the same, better or worse than the Leica original; in terms of rendering I like a very broad spectrum of different lens 'signatures' from the clinical to the, erm, 'characterful' so regardless of how it draws I'm sure it will find its proper place.

Yes; good news about the hood being included in the price! As far as finish goes; from a purely personal perspective the silver-chrome will suit me fine as I will be using it primarily with a silver-chrome Monochrom but I can understand that black-chrome would have been an extremely popular option. Perhaps they will bring one out if the demand proves to be there?

It will be very interesting to see when we and our fellow forumites start to receive their lenses!

Philip.

So Philip, I read that your TTA 28mm 5.6 is on it's way and you'll get it soon, hopefully..............Mine was still on order as of late last week from a EU supplier, but I gave up on it and switched that order to the Voigtlander Ultron 28mm f2 which I received in hand after a few days and I am really happy to have made that 28mm switch because the VC is a superb lens indeed. After a lot of testing I liked it so much that I've sold/traded in my little used Summicron 28mm f2 that I rarely used if only because of it's size and therefore VF blockage, nothing wrong with the Summicron at all other than the size, but the VC is it's equal optically and mechanically and has nearly zero VF blockage. It's a very sweet 28mm on a M body.

I will not regret the cancellation of the TTA 28mm, I do after all still have the Summaron 28, but at the same time I love how these non-Leica lens manufacturers are shaking up the market and giving M users a wealth of affordable, good, options now, that's great news in my book.

Cheers......

Edited by petermullett

1 minute ago, petermullett said:

...I will not regret the cancellation of the TTA 28mm, I do after all the the Summaron...

I can understand your viewpoint completely. Having the Summaron already the TTA would, in effect, have been a bit surplus to requirements in any case unless it rendered in a way very differently to the Leica 'original' and as such would probably spend much of its life back at base. I've read some wonderful reviews concerning the v2 Ultron so do appreciate why you are so content with your lens.

As it happens I already have the 28mm f2 Voigtlander Ultron v1 (which is still a superb performer IMO) as well as a 28mm f2.8 Elmarit ASPH so, for me, the TTA will not really be a close 'duplicate' of either of my existing 28s and might bring something else to the party.

As far as my own TTA goes the latest info I have is..."United Kingdom--Parcel departure in Sorting Centre."...but I have absolutely no idea what that really means!...

Not sure where in the SW of France you are but if you are ever anywhere near La Rochelle during any of the school holidays and fancy trying the TTA......once it finally arrives......

Philip.

36 minutes ago, pippy said:

I can understand your viewpoint completely. Having the Summaron already the TTA would, in effect, have been a bit surplus to requirements in any case unless it rendered in a way very differently to the Leica 'original' and as such would probably spend much of its life back at base. I've read some wonderful reviews concerning the v2 Ultron so do appreciate why you are so content with your lens.

As it happens I already have the 28mm f2 Voigtlander Ultron v1 (which is still a superb performer IMO) as well as a 28mm f2.8 Elmarit ASPH so, for me, the TTA will not really be a close 'duplicate' of either of my existing 28s and might bring something else to the party.

As far as my own TTA goes the latest info I have is..."United Kingdom--Parcel departure in Sorting Centre."...but I have absolutely no idea what that really means!...

Not sure where in the SW of France you are but if you are ever anywhere near La Rochelle during any of the school holidays and fancy trying the TTA......once it finally arrives......

Philip.

Thanks Philip, we have about the same "28mm stable"!

I too have the 28 Elmarit and it is one of the best M lenses ever as far as I'm concerned, it's a brilliant in all respects. But now with the Ultron, the Summaron and the Elmarit I guess I'm covered for what is my favourite focal length on an M, ( I discount the 'Lux's and the other "fast" choices out there.......they're all too big on a M for me, clumsy too ). I might have stuck with the TTA 28mm order, but it was dragging on too long, so I lost patience and switched the order but it would have been interesting to compare and at that price it's a good "knock about " lens that I probably would have had bolted on my "knock-about" camera, a Bessa 4.

The Summicron was traded this week together with my Q 116 for a new Q2M, adding it's contribution to my 28mm obsession quite nicely I hope. The Q2M however is presently "stuck in transit", a mire that seems to be effecting a lot of deliveries these past couple of weeks. A Nikon Scanner, shipping from Liverpool UK, took 21 days for Fedex to deliver yesterday, arriving "out of the blue" just before I filed a "lost" claim.

PS. I'm in the Aveyron, some way from La Rochelle I'm afraid, and anyway it looks like I will have to return to the US for some work "stuff" during that time, but thanks for the offer!

Edited by petermullett

Re the filter size I’m not sure.

I don’t have any 37mm filters but was thinking of a 37-39 step-up. Depending on vignetting that would allow the use of the the little silver 50 Elmar hood and cap which I use on my silver 90MEM as well as 39mm filters, but looking at the supplied hood it might induce too much vignetting.

Some basic testing yesterday shows I can probably get away without adjusting the lens for how I’m going to use it...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, petermullett said:

...we have about the same "28mm stable"!...I discount the 'Lux's and the other "fast" choices out there...they're all too big on a M for me...

Yup. After buying the Elmarit I find that even the Ultron is a bit big for my taste - yet it's hardly a big lens - and I discovered f2.8 is fast enough for the way I use a 28.

46 minutes ago, NigelG said:

Re the filter size I’m not sure.....I don’t have any 37mm filters but was thinking of a 37-39 step-up. Depending on vignetting that would allow the use of the the little silver 50 Elmar hood and cap which I use on my silver 90MEM as well as 39mm filters, but looking at the supplied hood it might induce too much vignetting...

Glad to read that it should work fine just as it is, Nigel.

As far as the vignetting goes - and the filter-group pictured in post #172 - I was wondering whether the fact that the front element has a fair bit of 'space' between the edge of the element and the rim-edge would mean that vignetting might not be an issue so that the services of the proprietary hood - which is rather huge! - might be avoided?

I, too, was contemplating a 37-39 step-up as I have a number of 39 filters which would be a simpler solution for me than buying a new raft of 37's...

Philip.

Edited by pippy

On 12/9/2021 at 3:04 AM, anickpick said:

A few things one might want to consider:

The Leica Summaron is absolutely brilliant in Contre-jour situations. It is one of the main reasons to own this lens imo.
According to Mr. Osborne the TTArtisan lens flares horribly when shot against the light.

The published MTF curves for the TTArtisan lens end at 13-14 (mm?). That seems odd.

The lens flare is a huge deal for me, and Mr Leica ably demonstrates in his video how it completely ruins a shot.  I like to shoot in all sorts of conditions, not just with the sun at my back and unfortunately the TTA 28mm 5.6 fails miserably here.

Of note  - I am not a Leica snob wanting this lens to fail.. - I shoot with lots of lenses.  But even my Orion 15 handles flare much better than the TTA, and that lens is so basic and maybe 50 years old!  My other regular 28mm lenses - the Leica Elmarit, and CV 28 3.5 - are just superb with flare.  And pretty much everything else.  The CV 28 3.5 is actually smaller than the TTA 28 5.6!  Which is incredible really, given that for me it performs in a different league.

I also have the 7A 50 1.1, the 28 1.4 and have had the 35 f2.  Some claim that the TTA are 'different' than the 7A lenses, but this seems to be purely a marketing gimmick to me to make them seem more up market, as for better or for worse the 7A lenses now have a reputation as budget stuff.  The clue is the TTA (made in the same factory) suffer from the same faults of focusing way past infinity at the hard stop, but have the same RF adjustment mechanism on the lens mount.  Which allows you to adjust the accuracy of the focus patch, but will not bring the lens back from past infinity.

Perhaps for some focusing past the hard stop at infinity doesn't matter - but it will if you are using the DOF scales for zone focus because it means they are not accurate.  I've let it slide with mine as I've accepted the compromise of the RF patch showing correct focus (which is the number 1 thing for me), versus an accurate hard stop.  But I'm done now and will no longer buy 7A/TTA lenses until they themselves fix that issue as it now grates on me.

I've kept the 7A 28 1.4 because I use it when I need that 1.4 as I am primarily a film shooter.  Rest of the time I'll be using one of my other 28mm lenses which are much more pleasant and compact.  I've kept the 50 1.1 because this really is a unique lens in the way it draws at 1.1 through 2.0.  There is nothing else like it, plus this lens is dirt cheap used ($200).  But again, if I'm am not going to use those apertures then I'll pick my Summilux, Summicrons, Planar etc.

Anyway, the TTA 28 5.6 is a hard pass for me because of the lens flare, and the tiresome focusing past infinity at the hard stop.  Not because of the origin of manufacture.

My lens arrived on Saturday (so 7 days after 'notification') but possibly when no-one was at home as when delivered the package was tucked-away behind some 'stuff' in our vestibule for safety / security and there was no note left to say that it had been dropped-off. I only discovered it yesterday evening as I was locking-up......

Not yet had a chance to try it out 'properly' apart from checking focus at f5.6 at close-focus to around 4m and it seems to be spot-on with both bodies. So far so good. The thing is beautifully machined and all seems to function perfectly.

I've ordered a UVa and circular polariser which I will collect from a dealership in central town today so will take the oppottunity to grab some pic's to see what it's performance is like and report back. The hood does need a fairly firm hand when clamping-on to avoid slippage so I might look for a 37mm wide-angle hood when I collect the filters as an alternative.

Just for fun...

I've been asked by some photographers new to the game (generally those who have grown up in the digital age) why I use certain filters at the shooting stage instead of simply applying filter effects in Post-Prod so, for illustrative purposes, here are two 'Tourist' pics I snapped yesterday which demonstrate one benefit (IMO) of using a polariser. For clarification; the filter was attached for both snaps but rotated to what is in effect a 'neutral' position (for this particular horizontal snap) for the first image before being rotated 90 degrees for the second. Photo's were taken just a few seconds apart and - a bit of spotting aside - are effectively SOOC.

Camera was the M-D Typ-262; 35mm Summilux v2 with Leica Serie VII Circular Polariser;

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pippy said:

For clarification; the filter was attached for both snaps but rotated to what is in effect a 'neutral' position (for this particular horizontal snap) for the first image before being rotated 90 degrees for the second.

Very Interesting! Glad you posted!

For some reason, I prefer the first shot: darker shades and absence or water reflection. Plus "better" colors to my eyes. But maybe, the second files is more workable on the editing process? 🤔 Congrats for your new lens.

• Thanks 1