TTArtisan 28mm f5.6

davorb

Am 30.11.2021 um 09:13 schrieb Simone_DF:

The optical design is different compared to the Summaron. 

By looking at the optical design and the MFT charts, I thnk the TTArtisan has a more modern rendering and it's definitely sharper in the corners, at least on paper. We'll see once lens samples and reviews start popping up. I'm considering getting one!

And that are the best news!
We don't need another replica, but a great modern lens in wonderful housing is worth a buy.
Especially for the price and build qualilty!

Chapeau, TTartisan !!!

• Like 3

Of interest to me at least is that if tt artisans are going for maximum performance instead of the "vintage look" is just how much performance they can get out of such a tiny lens.

Made easier of course by the slow speed but still of interest.

3 hours ago, cp995 said:

We don't need another replica, but a great modern lens in wonderful housing is worth a buy.

Very true. I'm baffled as to why they feel the need to so blatantly rip off the outer design. This is just going to cause irrelevant debate and comparisons between two radically different optical designs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ianman said:

Very true. I'm baffled as to why they feel the need to so blatantly rip off the outer design. This is just going to cause irrelevant debate and comparisons between two radically different optical designs.

Not that I agree with it but them doing so has created a lot of chatter on the web and more publicity for them

1 hour ago, ianman said:

Almost as if they are laughing at leica or maybe paying a tribute/homage to leica?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, ianman said:

...I'm baffled as to why they feel the need to so blatantly rip off the outer design...

Well, there are probably a great many reasons for doing so; familiarity of shape and the mental 'reassurance' which that suggests being one.

But the outward basic form of the Summaron has been (roughly) copied to a certain extent by pretty much all of the main players for sixty years or more. Here is an early Nikon LTM 28mm as an example. It is, I grant, a trifle larger than both the original and the TT 'modernisation / replication' but, in its defence, it is one-and-a-half-stops faster to allow for that extra speed;

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I would have liked TT to have 'distanced' their design slightly more but, in all honesty, personally I don't give a hoot as to the external shape as long as it is ergonomically and optically fine. I accept that the TT release is particularly similar in most ways to the original Summaron but the game of "Who Copied Whom?" can be (IMO) a very long-winded waste of time.

Philip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, graphlex said:

The W-Nikon was an estimable lens in its own right and no mere copy...

Agreed. As I'm sure most of us already know Nippon Kogaku was originally formed by the merger of three Optical manufacturers so it's not a surprise to find that their lenses were - and still are - superb performers from the earliest days.

It's not easy to find much info regarding, specifically, the 2.8cm f3.5 W-Nikkor. From what I've read it seems to be very similar, optically, to the pre-war 2.7cm Zeiss Orthometar but as this latter lens, in turn, simply used a variation of the ubiquitous Double-Gauss design we return to manufacturers using existing formulae as a rough basis from which they can modify their own lenses to suit their own needs and preferences.

As far as the TT is concerned, and as Simone_DF pointed out in post #63, it uses a very different lens-formula from the Summaron so it will be very interesting to discover how it renders.

Philip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

Philip......some samples, in this video...

Thanks for posting that link, Arnaud!

I always find his reviews very interesting and informative. Oddly enough right at the end he touched on something I was thinking about just the other day in that it would have been a stroke of genius had TT made it with an LTM mount but sold it with the M-mount flange pre-fitted in the same way that Leica themselves did with, for example, the original 21mm f4 Super-Angulon. Using it with a Barnack would be fun!

He does seem to confirm various guesses that it renders in a way which is similar to the Summaron but with a bit less vignetting. I wasn't intending to consider the lens for myself but I could always become convinced that as it renders in a very different way from my Elmarit ASPH........

In the clip Mr. Osborne mentions a street-price of £230. I haven't seen any for sale at that price and in stock here in the UK but I might not be looking in the correct places. If that price also includes the hood - and it certainly looks like it does - then it would be really hard to pass the opportunity by.

Philip.

Edited by pippy

OK; I've had a really good look around the (UK) web and nowhere I've found has this thing available yet I took a screengrab of this bit from Mr. Osborne's web review;

Does anyone have any ideas where this can be found?

Philip.

2 hours ago, pippy said:

OK; I've had a really good look around the (UK) web and nowhere I've found has this thing available yet I took a screengrab of this bit from Mr. Osborne's web review;

Does anyone have any ideas where this can be found?

Philip.

Google TT artisans uk pergear  and you will find it available to pre-order at £231. 

I used this site to order the 50mm f0.95 noctilux copy on the 30th november and it arrived yesterday 8th december ,incredible really but clearly the 28mm f5.6 is pre-order.

Not had a chance to do anything with my lens but the build quality is unbelievably good.

7 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

Google TT artisans uk pergear  and you will find it available to pre-order at £231. 

I used this site to order the 50mm f0.95 noctilux copy on the 30th november and it arrived yesterday 8th december ,incredible really but clearly the 28mm f5.6 is pre-order.

Not had a chance to do anything with my lens but the build quality is unbelievably good.

Was going to do the same and order but ill wait for the voigt noct.

軒下デジカメ情報局 (@nokishita_c) Tweeted:
コシナが「NOKTON 50mm F1 Aspherical VM」を近日中に発表するらしい。発売予定日は2022年1月。 https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/1468775539070873603?s=20

• Like 1

7 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

Google TT artisans uk pergear  and you will find it available to pre-order at £231...

Thanks for the help, Steve! Pre-order is now complete.

My understanding is that TT has been swamped with pre-orders so it will be interesting to see how long it takes before it turns up at my door...

Philip.

A few things one might want to consider:

The Leica Summaron is absolutely brilliant in Contre-jour situations. It is one of the main reasons to own this lens imo.
According to Mr. Osborne the TTArtisan lens flares horribly when shot against the light.

The published MTF curves for the TTArtisan lens end at 13-14 (mm?). That seems odd.

1 hour ago, anickpick said:

...The Leica Summaron is absolutely brilliant in Contre-jour situations. It is one of the main reasons to own this lens imo...According to Mr. Osborne the TTArtisan lens flares horribly when shot against the light...

Yes, anickpick, he did make that point very clearly. Happily for me I seldom shoot contre-jour and, when I do, it's almost never with the sun fully in the image (which was how Mr. Osborne framed many of those snaps) so an aspect of the TT which is pretty much wholly academic from my point of view (Ho!Ho!).

The main 'issue' (if one can call it that) which might be inconvenient is the size of the hood causing finder blockage. I'll just have to wait to see what works best (IMO) when it eventually arrives. There are a few ideas which spring to mind...

Philip.

1 hour ago, anickpick said:

The Leica Summaron is absolutely brilliant in Contre-jour situations. It is one of the main reasons to own this lens imo.
According to Mr. Osborne the TTArtisan lens flares horribly when shot against the light.

Thank you. Looks to me that it's worth to have both lenses. Should I find a good offer on the Summaron, I'd definitely consider it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

Thank you. Looks to me that it's worth to have both lenses. Should I find a good offer on the Summaron, I'd definitely consider it.

For myself one of the workarounds I have in mind for dealing with any potential flare issues is that, considering the tiny sizes of both the TT and the Elmarit ASPH, I'll keep them both in the bag; the TT for use mainly with the Monochrom and the Elmarit for the M-D. If there is a desperately pressing need for me to use the Mono shooting into the sun and the TT isn't going to cope then I could simply swap lenses for that snap.

Philip.

Edited by pippy

Surprising the lens has that flare, almost haze. Should it be sent immediately to a shop like van Maanen for a CLA? I have an Orion-15 28mm/F5.6 which I like, little sun flare, sometimes I see a slight focus difference between left and right corners wide open. And the corners are fantastic.