TTArtisan 28mm f5.6

davorb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Window washers ISO 200. f5.6. 1/3000. Black TT M10P Reporter 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

TT 28 vs Summaron 28 Original.

• Like 1

After thoroughly testing this lens I find it its behaviour quite odd (at least the copy I have): the hyperfocal scale is off by at least a stop AND hyperfocal infinity (at, say, f/8 or f/11) has the center sharp, but not the edges.

Let me rephrase: when I set my diaphragm to f/11 and focus on 3m, hyperfocal infinity is well within the markings by almost 2 stops (it sits near f/5.6 already) on the lens barrel - BUT the infinity image is only sharp in the center, not along the corners. Yet when I focus the lens all the way to infinity (ditching the hyperfocal setting), the corners become tack sharp edge to edge (all still at f/11).

3 minutes ago, Al Brown said:

After thoroughly testing this lens I find it its behaviour quite odd (at least the copy I have).....

It sounds as though your lens has field curvature which is showing even well stopped down. It would be worth trying to determine how evident this is at all apertures by selection of a suitable subject - a large area with detail within it which is oblique to the camera would be useful. FWIW I had a similar 35/2 which suffered significant field curvature wide open as evidenced by soft corners. It sharpened up as expected as it was stopped down though.

2 hours ago, Al Brown said:

After thoroughly testing this lens I find it its behaviour quite odd (at least the copy I have): the hyperfocal scale is off by at least a stop AND hyperfocal infinity (at, say, f/8 or f/11) has the center sharp, but not the edges.

Let me rephrase: when I set my diaphragm to f/11 and focus on 3m, hyperfocal infinity is well within the markings by almost 2 stops (it sits near f/5.6 already) on the lens barrel - BUT the infinity image is only sharp in the center, not along the corners. Yet when I focus the lens all the way to infinity (ditching the hyperfocal setting), the corners become tack sharp edge to edge (all still at f/11).

Does your lens focus correctly using the RF?  If you then focus the lens to the infinity hard stop, does it still focus correctly via the RF?  i.e. everything lined up correctly in the RF at infinity?

Mine focuses past infinity at the hard stop - like every single 7A lens I've used - but focuses accurately w the RF so I use that.

39 minutes ago, Huss said:

Does your lens focus correctly using the RF?  If you then focus the lens to the infinity hard stop, does it still focus correctly via the RF?  i.e. everything lined up correctly in the RF at infinity?

Mine focuses past infinity at the hard stop - like every single 7A lens I've used - but focuses accurately w the RF so I use that.

100% accurate. There must be a glitch with hyperfocal markings.

• Like 1

a few more with this little great lens:

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't given my copy a workout, so decided to take it on a morning walk, knowing I would typically on that walk be shooting smaller things and cropping the images. I was pleasantly surprised that the cropped shots held up well. (M mount lens but shot on a Sony A7rii)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ssian said:

Hello,

Could anyone with a black copy of this lens tell me how it's been going?  Is there any sign that black paint might flake off inside your camera?

Thank you!

Steve

No signs of that at all.  Why would you think it could happen?

24 minutes ago, Huss said:

Now available in LTM mount.

Really?!......😺......

If the LTM can be had in Black finish that would be a wonderful little lens to use with my 1930 Leica 1 Mod. A-to-C conversion. A truly pocketable point'n'shoot into the bargain!

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2

vor 16 Stunden schrieb pippy:

Really?!......😺......

If the LTM can be had in Black finish that would be a wonderful little lens to use with my 1930 Leica 1 Mod. A-to-C conversion. A truly pocketable point'n'shoot into the bargain!

Philip.

Here you go: https://www.35mmc.com/28/06/2023/news-ttartisan-releases-ltm-mount-version-of-compact-28mm-f5-6-lens/

K. 

btw: I´m still undecided. A black lens for my black Standard or a chrome lens for my chrome Standard....?  problems.... 😅 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kl@usW. said:

...btw: I´m still undecided. A black lens for my black Standard or a chrome lens for my chrome Standard....?  problems.... 😅 

Thanks for the link, Klaus, although at the moment there is no definite mention of whether the LTM will be offered in Black Paint.

I already have the M version in Silver-Chrome so picking up a Black LTM would allow me to have an all-black set-up with not only with the Leica 1 but also, using the LTM-M adapter, the M-D Typ-262. As my Leica 1 has Nickel fittings the S-C version would not (IMO) be a match made in heaven visually-speaking...

Philip.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2023 at 4:46 AM, pippy said:

Thanks for the link, Klaus, although at the moment there is no definite mention of whether the LTM will be offered in Black Paint.

I already have the M version in Silver-Chrome so picking up a Black LTM would allow me to have an all-black set-up with not only with the Leica 1 but also, using the LTM-M adapter, the M-D Typ-262. As my Leica 1 has Nickel fittings the S-C version would not (IMO) be a match made in heaven visually-speaking...

Philip.

Available in black paint via aliexpress!

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805571259323.html?spm=a2g0n.productlist.0.0.5168175f1Oi2yK&gatewayAdapt=Msite2Pc

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Huss said:

...Available in black paint via aliexpress!...

😻

Oooooh!!!! Now that is VERY tempting!

I have had no dealings with AliExpress so don't know quite how import duties / taxes would be handled. Pergear - the company from whom I bought my M-mount example - seemed to be able to deal directly within the UK therefore no 'extras' were payable but even in the 'Worst-Case Scenario' where Duty and Takes would be added as the lens is advertised at under £300 any additional charges would be relatively affordable considering we are in LeicaLand...

Thanks for the link, Huss, and I will have to give this some very serious consideration. Is having four 28mm lenses overkill?......:lol:......

Philip.

8 minutes ago, pippy said:

😻

I have had no dealings with AliExpress so don't know quite how import duties / taxes would be handled. Pergear - the company from whom I bought my M-mount example - seemed to be able to deal directly within the UK therefore no 'extras' were payable but even in the 'Worst-Case Scenario' where Duty and Takes would be added as the lens is advertised at under £300 any additional charges would be relatively affordable considering we are in LeicaLand...

Thanks for the link, Huss, and I will have to give this some very serious consideration. Is having four 28mm lenses overkill?......:lol:......

Philip.

I bought the Brightin Star 28 lens (waiting delivery) and they charged tax so hopefully nothing else to do on my end.

Also... apparently TTA made only one batch of LTM lenses, and will make no more.

2 hours ago, pippy said:

😻

Philip.

er... looks like it's sold out in black.  Only M available.

• Thanks 1