TTArtisan 28mm f5.6

davorb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just come back from a week in Croatia where I used the little TT Artisans 28mm f5.6 for more than half of the 500 photos I took for the week.

I'm really pleased with the quality I'm seeing from the lens, I'm trying to justify a 28mm that's a bit faster, but for most of the time where speed isn't a need, the TTA 28mm works great for me.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, erniethemilk said:

I'm really pleased with the quality I'm seeing from the lens, I'm trying to justify a 28mm that's a bit faster, but for most of the time where speed isn't a need, the TTA 28mm works great for me.

I agree. It is genuinely a little tiny beast. I enjoy the brass and how it feels (when changing the lens ). So far, so good: I didn't find any issue. IQ is better than expected. I don't often use the 28mm, only when I wake up 'very' 28. F8 all day long and don't worry about f-stops anymore. So it makes sense to have only one 28mm for M (and my Q2M). But I have several 35s because it's my favorite and most enjoyable way to go. More than anything, because of the frame lines. No for the focal length itself.

Speaking about the devil. I will be traveling by car with my wife soon (at least 2500 miles), and I'm still struggling with which lens should I take. The funny thing? I already picked a CV 21/4 and an Elmarit-M 90/2.8, but which 35mm? I want three lenses, todo! But this is a question for another thread  ... Just kidding.

• Like 1

Again, no issues. But maybe, on harsht backlight conditions, it could be a little prone to veiling flare. Look with an heavy dehaze in LrC (test, 1-2-3).

SOOC on the left.

And then against the sun, and nothing... 

• Like 1

Click on for the high rez. There is pop at f8 ... 

👏 👏👏

• Like 2

Just received my copy and used it on my M11.   More than a little surprised at the quality, contrast and pop.   It’s easily the equal of my Elmarits and Summarit.  I haven’t seen any decentering or unmanageable vignette either.   It’s a tiny, daytime street photography monster and is becoming a goto 28 for me.  

• Like 2

Leica M7, C200

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have zero regrets in regards to trading in my Summaron 28/5.6 after receiving my black copy of the TTA 28/5.6. That trade, with two other Leica lenses, helped get a good deal on two new Summicrons, 35/50, plus I traded an older 28 Elmarit for the new version too.........It was a busy "trade-up" month as I pared down lenses I didn't use much to ones I wanted to own now..........I rarely used the 28 Summaron anyway so exercising it's still considerable value was a good move for me. The TTA 28/5.6 doesn't disappoint in any way at all and having it in the black version is a bonus. It truly is an amazing value for it's build and performance.

56 minutes ago, petermullett said:

I have zero regrets in regards to trading in my Summaron 28/5.6 after receiving my black copy of the TTA 28/5.6.

I myself didn't trade in - I spent a good hour playing about with the Summaron in the Leica shop and outside, and then bought the TTA. When looking at the results from both, I have zero regrets in putting down the Summaron and choosing the TTA instead. I got some really lovely shots with it when I went on holiday - what a joyous compact set up!

• 2 weeks later...

Just loving this lens.   Here are some more using it on the M7 w Kentmere 400 & DF96

• Like 7

I bought a Voigtlander 25mm Snapshot Skopar, which seems to have filled any need I seem to have had for a tiny, cheap lens in the mid-twenties focal length range. I later added a well-preserved, pre-owned Summaron, Leica Threaded Mount. So, I am not a candidate for owning the TTArtisan 28mm lens, no matter how inexpensive. (I also have 28mm Elmarit-R and Elmarit-M Version III lenses, but they are notably larger, and so not really on-topic.)

If something were to destroy or otherwise deprive me of all of my 28mm M-mount lenses, I believe that I would simply buy a Voigtlander 28mm Ultron II VM, and be done with it, as the Ultron II is compact enough, and so optically good, that it seems to be a better value. $300 may seem inexpensive, but I would rather pay $900 US for the Ultron II. (I have never used a 28mm Ultron II, but have some other Cosina Voigtlander lense, for reference.)

I tend to fumble Summaron-sized lenses; a lens can be TOO compact, especially for my clumsy self.

Edited by RexGig0

6 hours ago, RexGig0 said:

I bought a Voigtlander 25mm Snapshot Skopar, which seems to have filled any need I seem to have had for a tiny, cheap lens in the mid-twenties focal length range. I later added a well-preserved, pre-owned Summaron, Leica Threaded Mount. So, I am not a candidate for owning the TTArtisan 28mm lens, no matter how inexpensive. (I also have 28mm Elmarit-R and Elmarit-M Version III lenses, but they are notably larger, and so not really on-topic.)

If something were to destroy or otherwise deprive me of all of my 28mm M-mount lenses, I believe that I would simply buy a Voigtlander 28mm Ultron II VM, and be done with it, as the Ultron II is compact enough, and so optically good, that it seems to be a better value. $300 may seem inexpensive, but I would rather pay $900 US for the Ultron II. (I have never used a 28mm Ultron II, but have some other Cosina Voigtlander lense, for reference.)

I tend to fumble Summaron-sized lenses; a lens can be TOO compact, especially for my clumsy self.

I also have the Snapshot Skopar, and the rf coupled version of it.  Super lenses.  And the Summicron 28 Asph v2.  I am not ashamed to say what drew me to the TTA 28 was the black paint finish.  I just love the design.  The fact that it also works so well is a thankful bonus!

If I was pragmatic/sensible etc, I only need one 28 (I forgot to mention I also have the CV 28 3.5 - another super lens).  But I do think the 25 is significantly wider than the 28, so for me the two do not create redundancy.  All you need to do it take a pic w the 25, then one w the 28 and compare.

Anyway, if I only could have one 28, it would be the Asph v2.  The CV Ultron v2 by all accounts is excellent but I really dislike its looks.  Others love it, so it's just how we are.

My one and only 28 would not be the TTA just because its max aperture setting is too small.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Huss said:

...My one and only 28 would not be the TTA just because its max aperture setting is too small...

At the start of this week I had to select a few lenses to bring with me on holiday and for the 28mm spot it came down to either the TTA or the Elmarit asph. I chose the latter primarily because the f5.6 might be slightly problematic if I found myself in an 'low-light indoors' situation. It's a pity because for outdoor snaping, which I expect will account for c. 95% of my photo's, it would have been a wonderful option.

Philip.

• Like 3

On 7/16/2022 at 5:23 PM, jakontil said:
On 7/16/2022 at 3:43 PM, Matlock said:

Yeah hard to say, everything comes down to the budget, and some people might actually think that 20% alone justify the price difference

Same to why we shoot Leica. You may say the same about a Fuji. It’s got the fully manual controls and analog dials and gets you the shot. Costs a fraction of the price of a Leica. So why don’t we all just shoot Fuji? 

Some people actually think the differences are worth the extra $7,000. 

Edited by Cthulhu

55 minutes ago, Cthulhu said:

Same to why we shoot Leica. You may say the same about a Fuji. It’s got the fully manual controls and analog dials and gets you the shot. Costs a fraction of the price of a Leica. So why don’t we all just shoot Fuji? 

Some people actually think the differences are worth the extra $7,000. 

I would point out that the post you are quoting is from jakontil not me.

• 3 weeks later...

with an M10

f8 and be there...

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Huss said:

Very nice!  How did you convert it to B&W?

Thank you! The light was already very playful to work with, I didn't do it very much. I applied a personal BW preset I usually use for the Q2M, w/ LrC. No color channels changed.

I hope this answer your question.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dennis said:

Thank you! The light was already very playful to work with, I didn't do it very much. I applied a personal BW preset I usually use for the Q2M, w/ LrC. No color channels changed.

I hope this answer your question.

Thanks!  Very dramatic!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Leica MP, TTA 28mm 5.6 Black paint, Kodak E100VS

Edited by Huss

Leica MP, TTA 28mm 5.6 BP, Kodak E100VS