TTArtisan 28mm f5.6

davorb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@egrossman thanks!  I hope the lens is decent.  I'm drawn to small lenses on Leica Ms - I have no interest in the large ones.  It just ruins the enjoyment IMO, and goes against the original design brief.  I sold my 7A 20 1.4 because it was a huge pipe, and replaced it w a Summicron Asph v2  because I did not want the size of the Summilux 28.  I actually was conflicted as I had the Elmarit Asph 28 which was superb, but wanted the one more stop of speed as I am a film shooter.

1 minute ago, Huss said:

@egrossman thanks!  I hope the lens is decent.  I'm drawn to small lenses on Leica Ms - I have no interest in the large ones.  It just ruins the enjoyment IMO, and goes against the original design brief.  I sold my 7A 20 1.4 because it was a huge pipe, and replaced it w a Summicron Asph v2  because I did not want the size of the Summilux 28.  I actually was conflicted as I had the Elmarit Asph 28 which was superb, but wanted the one more stop of speed as I am a film shooter.

I'm not drawn to a particular size of lens, rather lenses in the same focal length that are very different in the way they each draw.

For example, because I already own the 28mm Summilux, I chose the Summaron because to offers something very different.

In this same vein, I'd eventually like to get a 35mm Summilux pre-ASPH to pair with my pre-FLE

Erik

23 minutes ago, Huss said:

If a lens is too big, I'm not going to use it.  A purely personal decision.  I don't like the bulk, the VF blockage, the way it unbalances the camera.

+1

24 minutes ago, Huss said:

the VF blockage

My reason #1.

On M cameras, It's so beautiful the VF, and so important for the composition. To use a small lens that doesn't block the VF at all, honestly, it's a pleasure for the eye.

• Like 2

I just don't see viewfinder blockage as a big deal. Let's take an extreme example with the 50mm Noctilux 1.0 v4. In this example, is viewfinder blockage going to really prevent you from composing your picture?

With regard to balance: the weight of this Noctilux is 584.3g and the M10-D is 660g so I would say balance is pretty even.

Just my 2 cents.

Erik

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by egrossman

9 minutes ago, egrossman said:

Let's take an extreme example with the 50mm Noctilux 1.0 v4. In this example, is viewfinder blockage going to really prevent you from composing your picture?

Of course, cause it uses the 50mm frame lines.

Try to compose with a 28 Lux, then you tell me if there is a difference.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Of course, cause it uses the 50mm frame lines.

Try to compose with a 28 Lux, then you tell me if there is a difference.

Here you go. I don't use hoods but for the sake for fairness, pics with and without the hood.

Erik

• Like 1

On 6/23/2022 at 4:27 PM, egrossman said:

Well the used copy of the TT Artisan 28mm lens that I received from B&H was a bust. What looked like veiling flare could be seen across the frame no matter how I took pictures with the lens. Back it went to B&H...

Sorry to hear that the copy you received was a dud.

Just out of curiosity, Erik, would you mind sharing the serial number if you know what it was? Exclude the last couple of digits if this will make you feel more comfortable.

I ask because (as has been written and commented upon several times in this thread) there does seem to be a very marked difference in performance between the early lenses and those which came about later on with the early-release examples being especially susceptible to veiling flare in particular. In contrast (no pun intended) owners of later lenses don't seem to have encountered this phenomenon.

On the plus side I'm sure you will be delighted with the in-coming Summaron. Hopefully the weather in London will be kind to you during your visit!

Philip.

Sorry Philip, but I've already sent the lens back to B&H and didn't make note of the serial number.

WRT London, I lived there from 9 through the end of University. I do hope we'll see a nice August; I'm sure it will be hot!

Erik

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, egrossman said:

Here you go. I don't use hoods but for the sake for fairness, pics with and without the hood.

Erik

show me the frame lines of a 28mm, it doesn't make sense w/o them

9 minutes ago, Dennis said:

show me the frame lines of a 28mm, it doesn't make sense w/o them

Sorry. There is no way to get the iphone see the 28mm frame lines. The iphone camera just can't get close enough to the viewfinder.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Erik

• Like 1

3 hours ago, egrossman said:

Erik

Your images through the viewfinder are nothing like one would actually see!  You have taken them several inches behind the vf to hide the blockage!  Clue # 1 is we can see the VF surround - which you would not if you were actually using the camera.  And clue # 2 is where are the frame lines?

This is what it actually looks like through the VF of my M10r with 35 FLE and Nokton 50 1.1

Edited by Huss
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, egrossman said:

Sorry. There is no way to get the iphone see the 28mm frame lines. The iphone camera just can't get close enough to the viewfinder.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Erik

I'll oblige.  Here are the 28mm frame lines on my 10r taken with my iphone.  This is using my Summicron 28 Asph v2, which is much smaller than the Summilux 28.

As you can see, the vf blockage is significant.

• Like 3

And here is the 10r with the lovely CV 28 3.5 including it's hood!  This package is just delightful to use.

Almost zero vf intrusion!  This is why I love small lenses. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Huss said:

I'll oblige.  Here are the 28mm frame lines on my 10r taken with my iphone.  This is using my Summicron 28 Asph v2, which is much smaller than the Summilux 28.

As you can see, the vf blockage is significant.

I just don't see this as significant blockage or a big deal. I guess that why it's great to have choices! Small, slower lenses or fast larger lenses.

My default lens is the 35mm Summilux pre-FLE (I also own the tiny 35mm Summicron v4 but I enjoy the extra stop).

Happy shooting.

Erik 

On 6/19/2022 at 2:58 AM, Dennis said:

And don't forget to post some snapshots you took with your new 28mm... 

I have gone travelling and have mounted the TTArtisan 28mm f/5.6 onto my M10-R and I have been shooting it. I have started uploading my shots (although my edited and scaled down shots are still too large for the forum).

This link (https://twitter.com/search?q=%40LifeByStills %23TTArtisan&src=typed_query&f=live) will lead you to a search of my posts involving TTArtisan (I only have the 28mm f/5.6 at the moment) where I have uploaded images.

I quite like the vignette and so have no played with getting rid of the vignette in post. Nor have I found the need to play with sharpening. The lens flares like no tomorrow, and you can see with the shot of the soldier on sentry duty, where some of the centre of the photo loses contrast due to flaring (but with no obvious visual indication that flaring was occurring unless you know under what condition it was shot at).

My copy seems accurate, and certainly fun to use too. I have been using my Q2 alongside and so can see the difference between a clinically sharp lens, and this retro one. I wouldn't necessarily say I prefer one over the other - I like both, but the TT does give that vintage look about it which I cannot describe in words, which the Q2 doesn't do.

I'll upload more as I continue on my travels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Life By Stills said:

I have gone travelling and have mounted the TTArtisan 28mm f/5.6 onto my M10-R and I have been shooting it. I have started uploading my shots (although my edited and scaled down shots are still too large for the forum).

This link (https://twitter.com/search?q=%40LifeByStills %23TTArtisan&src=typed_query&f=live) will lead you to a search of my posts involving TTArtisan (I only have the 28mm f/5.6 at the moment) where I have uploaded images.

I quite like the vignette and so have no played with getting rid of the vignette in post. Nor have I found the need to play with sharpening. The lens flares like no tomorrow, and you can see with the shot of the soldier on sentry duty, where some of the centre of the photo loses contrast due to flaring (but with no obvious visual indication that flaring was occurring unless you know under what condition it was shot at).

My copy seems accurate, and certainly fun to use too. I have been using my Q2 alongside and so can see the difference between a clinically sharp lens, and this retro one. I wouldn't necessarily say I prefer one over the other - I like both, but the TT does give that vintage look about it which I cannot describe in words, which the Q2 doesn't do.

I'll upload more as I continue on my travels.

Thank you for posting.
Good that you have both 28mm to choose from. The Summilux of the Q is just wow. And the TTA is just great. For the latter, for me, cause of the size, weight, and easiness to use, it's a win-win. Sharp enough w/ a lovely vignette. I use it exclusively at f8 and be there, you know. It just delivers what I ask for.

I want to find a tiny 50mm to add to the pocket-size family lenses: CV 21/4 + 28TTA + 35/2 LLL ... 
When I just want to keep everything small and light, the TTA is a perfect choice.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Thank you for posting.
Good that you have both 28mm to choose from. The Summilux of the Q is just wow. And the TTA is just great. For the latter, for me, cause of the size, weight, and easiness to use, it's a win-win. Sharp enough w/ a lovely vignette. I use it exclusively at f8 and be there, you know. It just delivers what I ask for.

I want to find a tiny 50mm to add to the pocket-size family lenses: CV 21/4 + 28TTA + 35/2 LLL ... 
When I just want to keep everything small and light, the TTA is a perfect choice.

The CV 40 2.8 is tiny.  But not a 50...  The tiny 50 choice is the M 50 2.8 collapsible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dennis said:

Thank you, I'll check it out! I don't know nothing about this lens. Is it an Elmar-M, right?

Summicron collapsible 50 is also a great choice.

• Like 2