TTArtisan 28mm f5.6

davorb

2 hours ago, mmradman said:

In good light most of my pictures with Summilux M 28mm are taken at f5.6 to f8, speed is for dark.

I may look into the TTArtisan once it becomes available as price is probably going to be a small fraction of the Leica Original.  

About $300.00 on pre order.

10 hours ago, dante said:

That's definitely a small fraction!

Based on B&H Photo pricing (22 November 2021) the TT appear to be less than 10%, direct link to TT indicate 10% ($300) of Leica original, the B&H price of $49 is probably a preorder placeholder. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=leica 28mm f5.6&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

For a fun & slow lens $300 sounds about right.  Both TT and Leica provide compact 28mm solution, such slow lens should provide similar picture quality (maybe i should take cover now 😂). 

Leica M 28mm f5.6 was about reproducing heritage & milking customers while TT seems to be about tapping into the premier segment at the expense of Leica.  I suspect TT will make good number of sales.  Once purchaser opt for cheaper version even the choice of filter thread, 37mm on TT compared to 34mm on Leica is makes easier to utilise such lens.

27 minutes ago, erniethemilk said:

...I’ve had 7artisans lenses (35mm f2) in the past and have been left pretty disappointed so even if it’s cheap, I’ll wait to see how good it really is. 

I know what you mean. I've owned three 7Artisans lenses and while two were / are fine (although a PITA to calibrate perfectly) one was returned as it was utterly impossible to make it work.

The lens here, though, is by TT Artisans and, whilst they might share certain manufacturing aspects with 7A, from what I've read the TT offerings are clearly superior products.

Looks very nicely machined but with an Elmarit ASPH in the bag I can't imagine I'd be interested in picking up one of these as I'd never use it.

Philip.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, pippy said:

The lens here, though, is by TT Artisans and, whilst they might share certain manufacturing aspects with 7A, from what I've read the TT offerings are clearly superior products.

To be on point, I've been disappointed by other Chinese lenses I've tried.... I have heard good things about TT so hopefully things will be good!

• Like 2

Guys, I would like to set the record straight on the Summaron.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation floating around regarding the Summaron, ALL SPREAD by non-owners.

The Summaron is very sharp all the way to the corners.

The Summaron is a HIGH-contrast lens.

The Summaron has falloff. But falloff does not mean “soft” nor “Low contrast”. It means that it vaccuums the attention to the center of the image. Adds a mood.

The Summaron is a masterpiece lens. I don’t know about the chinese offerings but the Summaron is not what non-owners think it might, and might not, be. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, KFo said:

...“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”

- Confucius, or maybe Sun Tzu I forget.

I believe the quotation is usually attributed to that other well-known Chinese philosopher : Benjamin Franklin...

Whilst there has certainly been a number of owners of 7A products who have been disappointed I can't say I've read many complaints about the TT lenses. None in fact. Also whilst it might be a bit of a challenge to manufacture a high-performance 75mm f1.25 lens (*) designing a 28mm f5.6 throws up nowhere near the same level of optical difficulty for a modern optics firm. I, for one, would be astonished if the TT 28 is anything other than a stellar performer all things considered.

We'll have to wait to see.

Philip.

* The source of my own disappointment - although other members here have written rave reviews about their own examples so there seems to be sample-variation going on here. Mine was also a very early copy so there might have been a few manufacturing / assembly issues into the bargain which were resolved subsequently.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

Guys, I would like to set the record straight on the Summaron.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation floating around regarding the Summaron, ALL SPREAD by non-owners.

The Summaron is very sharp all the way to the corners.

The Summaron is a HIGH-contrast lens.

The Summaron has falloff. But falloff does not mean “soft” nor “Low contrast”. It means that it vaccuums the attention to the center of the image. Adds a mood.

The Summaron is a masterpiece lens. I don’t know about the chinese offerings but the Summaron is not what non-owners think it might, and might not, be. 

That's cool, but if the TTArtisan can replicate all that, or at least get very close to it, for 300€ instead of 2500€, I'll take that. If not, no problem, I won't buy it. It's just a lens, no big deal, more will come. I'm actually hoping for Voigtlander to release a 28mm 1.4 sooner or later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gobert said:

Why not? Same factory.

Good question.

Consider Voigtlander and Zeiss; both share much in their manufacture from the same root - Cosina - but their product-lines are very different. Not only that but Cosina has also manufactured SLR equipment for the likes of Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Konica and so on. One Factory does nor equate to One Product-line.

Much the same as the Fuji-Gen factory in the 'Guitar' world where, in addition to the countless Japanese domestic brands they were making and unlikely as it may seem, they were building instruments and components for the two largest electric guitar companies - and renowned competitors -  in the USA; Gibson and Fender.

7Artisans and TT Artisans might share a certain amount of factory space but that doesn't mean these different companies use the same components nor the same optical designs.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1