Athens - Dinner and Meeting Details

andybarton

4 hours ago, andybarton said:

But, you neither of you look a day over 60…

Well, Eileen doesn’t :) 

Thanks Andy, but Eileen had her 72nd birthday last week and I’ll be 75 next March. I’m still riding the BMW1200GS and in fact have just got back from riding the NC500, and playing tennis at least twice a week.

Edited by lanetomlane
  • Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After much soul searching, Marilyn and I have decided not to join everyone in Athens. We would be prepared to run with any enhanced COVID risk, given our vaccination statuses, but it's the situation with airports and cancelled flights that's totally putting us off. The consequences of flight cancellations for a relatively short weekend break are disastrous (outbound or inbound, for different reasons). There's no point in going if you can't be there in time, and there are other consequential losses, such as hotel costs, given that cancellations would arise at the last minute, beyond any refund window. Maybe next year? Have a great time everyone who is going.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am unable to attend the Athens Challenge.  After much internal debate, beating on my office adding machine, reviewing home improvement quotes, and prayer, I decided a solo trip will not work this year.  The deciding factor was when I told my wife we could not afford a large gazebo for our patio.  Her icy blue eyes saw through my attempt at financial distress.  I knew the next place those eyes would gaze is my shelf holding camera equipment.  

I'm alive, still married, but not going Athens.  

• Haha 4

On 6/20/2022 at 8:52 AM, masjah said:

After much soul searching, Marilyn and I have decided not to join everyone in Athens. We would be prepared to run with any enhanced COVID risk, given our vaccination statuses, but it's the situation with airports and cancelled flights that's totally putting us off. The consequences of flight cancellations for a relatively short weekend break are disastrous (outbound or inbound, for different reasons). There's no point in going if you can't be there in time, and there are other consequential losses, such as hotel costs, given that cancellations would arise at the last minute, beyond any refund window. Maybe next year? Have a great time everyone who is going.

Sorry to hear this, John, but I empathise.

Pete.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, richam said:

Anastasia and I are planning to attend.  Looking forward to seeing you all again, after missing a few years.  Has the general meeting/photo area been decided yet?

Oh that's good to hear, Mike!  It's been awhile since I saw you both - Istanbul in 2014 perhaps?

Pete.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richam said:

Anastasia and I are planning to attend.  Looking forward to seeing you all again, after missing a few years.  Has the general meeting/photo area been decided yet?

That will be a treat Mike.

I am in touch with Ravi, and will speak with him again when he is back in Europe in the next week or so. Then we can publish some more details.

• Like 1

Oh that's good to hear, Mike!  It's been awhile since I saw you both - Istanbul in 2014 perhaps?

Thanks, Pete.  Actually last time for a personal get-together was Venice 2010.  And I participated in the 2020 in-place challenge.  Anastasia and I did a lot of cruising in the intervening years; the schedules conflicted.  Add an occasional health problem plus the COVID-19 pandemic in recent years, and this year becomes the fist chance in over a decade that we could get together personally.  If you or anyone else can explain why the years are whizzing by so fast, please let me know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 7:12 PM, richam said:

Thanks, Pete.  Actually last time for a personal get-together was Venice 2010.  And I participated in the 2020 in-place challenge.  Anastasia and I did a lot of cruising in the intervening years; the schedules conflicted.  Add an occasional health problem plus the COVID-19 pandemic in recent years, and this year becomes the fist chance in over a decade that we could get together personally.  If you or anyone else can explain why the years are whizzing by so fast, please let me know.

Well, ask and you shall be informed. As a 5 year, one year between one birthday and the next is 20% of your life experience. As a 60 year, one year between one birthday and the next is about 20 dozen trips into a room and "why did I come here"; 26 bakers dozen of "where are my reading spectacles"; And countless retracing your steps just to see what you left behind. Oh and of course it is only 1.67% of your life experience

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• andybarton changed the title to 2022 Athens One Challenge - Meeting Details

Some news!

We are indebted to Ravi for some stirling work last year, road-testing virtually every restaurant and bar in the centre of Athens. As a result, I am pleased to confirm that the lunchtime rendezvous will be at 

Voliotiko Tsipouradiko
corner of Taki 24 and Lepeniotou 1, Λεπενιώτου 1, 105 54 Athens, Greece

Time: 13:00 - 1430 
Date: Saturday 15 October, 2022
https://voliotiko-tsipouradiko.gr/en

Please note the slightly later time to meet.

This venue has an internal courtyard, out of the heat and away from the street.

As usual, please advise below if you would like to join in the evening meal, so that we (Ravi) can confirm with a second venue (to be announced shortly). When we have a rough idea of numbers, we can confirm.

Thanks

(I will put all the rules etc into a PDF as usual later)

https://goo.gl/maps/pHtnuP16qZr7cbS49

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For Dinner:

Andy and Ann Barton

Tom and Eileen Lane

John and Sonia Cartwright

Pete Farnsworth

Philippe Octo

8 so far

Stefan Seider 

Mike and Anastasia Richards

Ravi Bindra