Recommendation for Flash Trigger for Compatibility

tedwill

I’m a fan of buy once and cry once.  The profoto packs are heavy duty and very flexible with separate heads.  I used to own some profoto monolights but found them very fragile when traveling under an airplane…  so just sold them and added other profoto packs.  I also like elinchrom studio strobes. I have never used broncolor but would like to try them also.  Most other manufacturers have kind of funky color that can be less consistent.  

the profoto regular air transmitter for canon works great with my SL2.  You can also use pocket wizards although they have a smaller pin centered in the hotshoe mount.  Depends I guess how many flash units you plan to link up with.  you can buy profoto units with built in triggers that sync with pocket wizard.  I only shoot strobes in M mode inside or out so that keeps things simpler.  I’ve never felt I missed out from shooting in manual, but I go back 35 years….

some other cameras have built in triggers and some others won’t trip the transmitter from the hotshoe if the pins are in the wrong area.  

Robb

Edited by robb
Autocorrect spelling made errors :)

• 1 year later...
On 11/19/2021 at 4:32 AM, Simone_DF said:

unless you really need TTL or HSS, I can't recommend spending 500€ for the SF60 + 300€ for the commander. I have a SF60 here with me that I purchased a couple of weeks ago (but for a very good deal) and it's inferior from every point of view compared to a Godox A1. 

However, as you've noted, it's not inferior for TTL which is what most people, unfamiliar with proper flash/strobe operation, are seeking.  They want easy.  Additionally, as i'm sure you know, the trigger must be compatible with the body of choice, which is not the case with all triggers.  What's unfortunate, to me, is what Leica charges for their re-branded speedlight equipment.  With no synch-cord port on the M11 or Q2, you're left with shoe-mounted triggers. 

Edited by DenverSteve

7 hours ago, DenverSteve said:

However, as you've noted, it's not inferior for TTL which is what most people, unfamiliar with proper flash/strobe operation, are seeking.  They want easy.  Additionally, as i'm sure you know, the trigger must be compatible with the body of choice, which is not the case with all triggers.  What's unfortunate, to me, is what Leica charges for their re-branded speedlight equipment.  With no synch-cord port on the M11 or Q2, you're left with shoe-mounted triggers. 

I sold the SF60 long time ago, went with a Godox and never looked back.

Also Godox and ProFoto have started supporting Leica, initially with their remote triggers. I guess that if they sell enough units, native TTL support will be extended to the flash units too

• Like 1

If you’re looking for full flash/strobe functionality including TTL and HSS on remote controlled Off Camera Flash, you’re only down to Leica (Nissin), Godox & Profoto. Within the 3 brands only Godox & Profoto offers the range from 70Ws to 1000Ws. While Leica (rebadged from Nissin) like most camera makers only offer up to 160Ws.

From my own experience, the reliability & accuracy of TTL flash control is way better than a decade ago. Besides the TTL flash output can easily be added & subtracted from the first TTL test shot. Getting the right flash output can easily be achieved within 3 test shots. Unless you’re a professional portrait or wedding photographer who works with flash/strobe everyday, getting the flash output you want is way faster from TTL settings on first test shot compared from using a light meter or manual flash setting. Taking too long to adjust your flash settings often gets on the nerve of your subject’s patience as well.

• Like 1