Recommendation for Flash Trigger for Compatibility

tedwill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Little by little, I am doing more and more indoor shots - products and people.  In the past, I used Canon gear and Canon flashes - both on camera and remote.  I now have an SL2 and love the image quality.

Recently I started shooting products using small light cube and lcd lights for fill light.  But more recently, I've been asked to shoot larger products as well as corporate headshots.

I would like to start small with a studio flash and flash trigger.  I've only started researching this and I have not seen any triggers that specifically work with the Leica SL2.  I've looked at the SF C1, but I'm unsure if it works with other lights like Profoto.

What products have you worked with that support the SL2 using a flash trigger and studio lighting?  I've heard great things about Godox and Profoto.  I'd like to start small - with a single light and be able to grow from there.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Ted

If you want to use TTL, your only options are the Leica branded (rebadged Nissin) flashes or the Nissin hammerhead flash with a firmware update. So a SF60 and SFC1 as a commander.

For manual flash you can chose pretty much anything and use the simplest trigger they have. You’ll be controlling the flashes manually and you’ll be limited to the flash sync speed.

Personally, in studio, I think manual is just as fast and offers more consistency. I only use TTL for dynamic situations outdoors like outdoor portraits in changing light. I use Godox because it’s cheaper than Prophoto and does the same job. I also use some legacy Elinchrom and Broncolor gear I’ve accumulated over the years with no issue. With the Godox I use either a Fuji or Nikon trigger because I already have them. You’re only using the middle pin in manual mode.

Gordon

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tedwill said:

Little by little, I am doing more and more indoor shots - products and people.  In the past, I used Canon gear and Canon flashes - both on camera and remote.  I now have an SL2 and love the image quality.

Recently I started shooting products using small light cube and lcd lights for fill light.  But more recently, I've been asked to shoot larger products as well as corporate headshots.

I would like to start small with a studio flash and flash trigger.  I've only started researching this and I have not seen any triggers that specifically work with the Leica SL2.  I've looked at the SF C1, but I'm unsure if it works with other lights like Profoto.

What products have you worked with that support the SL2 using a flash trigger and studio lighting?  I've heard great things about Godox and Profoto.  I'd like to start small - with a single light and be able to grow from there.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Ted

I would highly recommend a Godox trigger for the panasonic/olympus models which works on Leica SL2 as well.. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B2QJVBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the Godox AD200 (or the pro version) 

https://www.amazon.com/AD200-Monolight-2900mAh-Speedlite-Flashlight/dp/B06WVTCDHD/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=godox+ad200&qid=1637283097&s=electronics&sr=1-3

these are incredibly capable strobe lights!! the battery goes on and on.. i have had it sit without being used for 6 months and it still had a lot of charge left... 

I think it has TTL but I only use Manual mode in all the flashes I own.. 

Edited by aksclix

4 minutes ago, tedwill said:

Thanks!  This is exactly what I need.

you're welcome.. and i recently added an explor600 to my lighting kit as well. They're on sale at Adorama for almost the same price as the ad200 pro.. it's a super powerful strobe.. ad200 itself is quite powerful though.. so a couple of ad200s on either side should work wonders

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 minutes ago, tedwill said:

Does the explor600 work with the Godox AD200 as well or does it have its own transmitter?  

Explor600 and ad200 are both strobe lights.. they don’t communicate with each other.. they’re controlled by the Trigger I mentioned above.. the trigger works with both.. you can use them both together as well with the trigger

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aksclix said:

The AD200 does not do TTL with Leicas because it does not work with the Leica triggers that offer TTL, as @FlashGordonPhotographywrote.
They are still great devices - I have two which I use with Godox XPro triggers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, aksclix said:

I would highly recommend a Godox trigger for the panasonic/olympus models which works on Leica SL2 as well.. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B2QJVBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and the Godox AD200 (or the pro version) 

https://www.amazon.com/AD200-Monolight-2900mAh-Speedlite-Flashlight/dp/B06WVTCDHD/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=godox+ad200&qid=1637283097&s=electronics&sr=1-3

these are incredibly capable strobe lights!! the battery goes on and on.. i have had it sit without being used for 6 months and it still had a lot of charge left... 

No. This is not correct. The Pansonic/Olympus trigger (or 4/3rds system trigger) is not the same protocols as the Leica system. Panasonic L mount cameras do NOT share flash protocols with the SL/CL/TL/S or M systems. Godox flash systems do NOT support TTL on Leica cameras, except the D’Lux series.

You can use the trigger for manual flash control. You can get the same use from a Nikon, Fuji or other Godox triggers. Godox supports TTL for every system EXCEPT Leica because Leica won’t release the protocols. Maybe this will change in the future as it’s a major PITA for flash wielding Lica photographers.

If you want TTL the ONLY option are the Leica branded flash guns or the MG10 hammerhead flash from Nissin combined with the Leica remote trigger.

Gordon

• Thanks 1

here are my 2 cents.

I have a canon, sony and leica system for cameras. Elinchrom , Profoto, godox, and leica for flash.

In the last 2 years I have been using a few SL2  in studio portrait, and architectural. in most cases Manual flash setting are used. In this case you can use any trigger that just uses the single pin in the middle that just sends a trigger signal to the flash. Most trigger work for this, just the sony does not fit.

I use the Godox trigger X2Tn on the leica for most cases (and the reason comes clear on events photography). the receiver works on Elinchrom and Profoto and godox natural, all in Manual mode.

When using it on flash camera in TTL the only option is the SF-60 for me. It takes external power pack from godox and can do wireless  with the Leica transmitter . I have not invested in the MG10 or more Nissin products. Nissin flash never gave me luck. Overheating issues, the controls are not great and firmware is not always stable.

For event photography I will use lights in the room, most of the time the godox smaller lights like the AD200 and AD360. Why godox? The implemented  the combination of hotshoe flash and transmitter in one. With the V860IIIc I can set the flash on manual and controls the other lights on channel B,C,D in the room by setting M mode power output.

on the other SL2 I will have the X2Tn and of top of that the Leica SF60 in M mode. the godox trigger for Nikon will let the signal go true the SF60 in manual mode only, No TTL.

If I need TTL I will take the godox transmitter off and use the SF60 directly quickly.

I have tried many trigged and the Nikon version is the only one that will let the hot-shoe signal true. You can interchange triggers in the godox system, they all talk to each other, and you can set multiple cameras to use the same set of lights in a room.

Make sure to use the latest firmware on the Sl2 cameras, the was a bug that just got fixed in v3.0 ( only took 18 months )

It seams to me that Leica thinks about their lenses and cameras too much and Light is the afterthought. Poor performing devices and the lack of support force you into M modes most of the time. Leica needs to make it easier for their user to use flash photography by allowing the companies to make flashes for the SL system.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

No. This is not correct. The Pansonic/Olympus trigger (or 4/3rds system trigger) is not the same protocols as the Leica system. Panasonic L mount cameras do NOT share flash protocols with the SL/CL/TL/S or M systems. Godox flash systems do NOT support TTL on Leica cameras, except the D’Lux series.

You can use the trigger for manual flash control. You can get the same use from a Nikon, Fuji or other Godox triggers. Godox supports TTL for every system EXCEPT Leica because Leica won’t release the protocols. Maybe this will change in the future as it’s a major PITA for flash wielding Lica photographers.

If you want TTL the ONLY option are the Leica branded flash guns or the MG10 hammerhead flash from Nissin combined with the Leica remote trigger.

Gordon

But the OP didn’t mention anything about TTL.. it is usable with the xpro trigger on Leica and that’s all that matters.. 

@tedwill not sure if TTL is important to you.. the XPro trigger for olympus/Panasonic works perfectly well with with AD200 in manual mode which is more than enough.. it comes with a couple of light options, it is tripod mountable.. get a beauty dish or some diffuserthat fits your need as well and you'll be all set!

I also have the SF c1 with SF60 and SF40.. (SF40 is not directly compatible with c1, it must be used in addition to SF60 or SF64) they're very expensive and less powerful.. if you want TTL this is definitely an option  

1 hour ago, tedwill said:

At this point, TTL not critical.  I can set to manual mode.  I mainly need compatibility for future growth and working with other cameras - Fuji, Sony, etc.  For now, my primary systems are Leica SL cameras.   Thanks!

That's the beauty of this godox system.. I have the xpro trigger for different camera systems and use the ad200 with all of them.. 😀

• Like 2

@tedwillxpro triggers for Fuji, Sony, Nikon, Olympus/Panasonic/Leica and canon

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by aksclix
  • Like 1

Godox is certainly an option. I use a Profoto A1 in the Nikon version and B1 strobes, and they both work perfectly with the Air Remote (classic version, not ttl). If you are ok with manual, they work great. I would also love to have TTL for dynamic situations, but honestly, manual is not such a problem with digital. Or, get even more old school and just use a flash meter, which is what I typically do. As everyone said, if it is TTL you are after, then the Leica branded flashes are the only game in town.

19 hours ago, aksclix said:

But the OP didn’t mention anything about TTL.. it is usable with the xpro trigger on Leica and that’s all that matters.. 

No but your last sentence was abiguous. Just a clarification.

I also use Godox with Leica cameras as well as multiple other systems.

Gordon

• Like 1