Are they really that bad?? Please let us know.

dougdarter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Doug,

I have used the M8 since December and really like it.

Now to tell you the thruth, there might be some things which could be improved, but in the end I dont mind if the AWB is a little better or worth than that of other cameras.

The IR was an issue but is solved.

The biggest issue for me is the need for very accurate calibrated lenses regarding focus and focus shift. This is only crtical for few lenses like the 35/1.4asph.

Is the image quality much better, a little better or even a little worse than that of some DSLR like a 5d or d2x or whatever? I think its slightly better but even if it wasslightly worse its not the point for me.

I use the M8 because i like using rangefinders and I am glad that there is a camera now which does not struggle with the vignetting problems of the rd1 and which offers more resolution than the rd1.

If some people bash the M8 in this forum-who cares. We dont have to read the threads we are not interested. If others discuss things of the M8 which can be improved-thats fine for me and important IMO.

For example only through this forum I learned about the Milich filter adapter for the WATE, which helps a lot and makes the WATE usable for the M8.

Also I learned that I can hang on my B&W filters for the longer lenses, but should use the Leica filters for the wider lenses. ...

And then there is alot knowledge shared in this forum.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I actually find the AWB pretty good on the second shot from camera on.

It seems to me that the camera needs a test shot to gage the WB for a given scene. Yes I have seen it change slightly with repeated shot of the same scene and sometimes it is just off. But so is my Nikon D200 and that never corrects itself.

Since I received my first M8 my D200 has been used very rarely and most of the time it's used to take shots of the M8 for one reason or another, that is until I got a second M8.

I can only agree with you, Ed, AWB is indeed not bad at all. The main thing I notice in fast shooting in single mode is that it tends to thow in a blue shot every once in a while. Clearly the camera is running faster than the software can run up to the correct value then. Leica could help here by putting the default value for whitebalance at 5000 Kelvin or so. It would be much less noticable.

Guest tummydoc
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Pete.

Sorry to dull your point but the full quote is 'Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but the highest form of intelligence'.

I bought my M8 back in November. Camera made its little trip back to Germany for its fix.

Obviously I wasn't very happy during that particular month that it was away. But I love this camera.

I would have liked a quieter shutter - and maybe even a manual winder like the R-D1.

But all in all, I've never been happier to spend nearly $5,000 on a piece of camera equipment.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Fantastic image Wilfredo.

Just a reminder that the Forum does have moderators and every one of them is willing to help you if you run into a problem here.

You can PM at:

abrewer

andybarton

erl

stuny

philipotto

We have all "been through the wars" over the years, and appreciate that civility reigns here.

Thanks.

Allan

M8 Experience: 2 cameras, 1 that I finagled from the first batch during the hiatus, 1 that I bought in March. The first had a maladjusted RF (V and H) that was fixed when I sent it in for the banding repair, the second has no focus issues. Both have had one instance of "freeze" - solved in 2 minutes by pulling/replacing the battery. Camera WB is sloppy, but immaterial since I shoot JPEG for 1 shot in a 1000. Venetian blinds I've never seen since the first thing I did in setting up each camera was to turn off the auto-review (the next picture is the one that counts - not the one it's too late to do anything about).

Gripes? Sure. I'd like Nikon D3/Canon 5D-style ISO 2500 performance, 4fps on continuous (I'm not greedy) and a 16 f/2.8-3.5 lens. Probably some other things if I think about it long enough.

Through careful planning and asset management, I have had 4 existing lenses upgraded to zebra coding for only the shipping cost, via Leica coupons. I have spent a net of $450 for IR filters, spread out over 9 months. In the meantime I got 5,000 frames, and perhaps 150 special images, where the IR tint was nonexistent or immaterial.

Commentary: If I had had full-camera melt-downs, as a few have, I would be as disappointed (or worse) as they are. I can feel sympathetic disappointment for their experience, as well.

But I've had 2 M8's perform outstandingly for me. That's a simple factual statement, not Pollyanna talking.

Guest tummydoc
Clearly sarcasm is not the highest form of intelligence so your post is meaningless.

I didn't invent the quote, I merely amended the partial quote someone posted with the actual quote in its correct entirety. Though I acknowledge the popularity of qualifying as meaningless anything that one doesn't comprehend.

Guest tummydoc
I do comprehend it thanks, Vinay, and it still has no meaning.

Well then there's nothing left I can say that someone wouldn't rightly construe as patronising.

Sorry to dull your point but the full quote is 'Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit but the highest form of intelligence'.

Ignorant sarcasm is hardly intelligent. To cut to the quick one first has to have some clue what he or she is talking about. Otherwise, its just ready-made, ticky-tacky, received thought cliche. And, even at its best, sarcasm is certainly not the highest expression of intelligence, sardonism is closer but still no cigar.

I highly recommend the use of the ignore list as opposed to battling it out in forums. If someone consistently annoys you, click on their username, and choose "View Public Profile". Then near the top right find the "add <user> to your ignore list" and click it. It keeps the arguing down and both parties happier.

I highly recommend the use of the ignore list as opposed to battling it out in forums. If someone consistently annoys you, click on their username, and choose "View Public Profile". Then near the top right find the "add <user> to your ignore list" and click it. It keeps the arguing down and both parties happier.

Or...call a spade a spade as opposed to creating a veneer of the same.