Are they really that bad?? Please let us know.

dougdarter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

O.K. guys. We all have our opinions on the the M8, just as we do on ALL things. Don't expext anyone or everyone to agree with you. Furthermore, expect disagreement on issues. That does'nt make anyone right or wrong necessarily. Just accept it if someone holds an opposing view.

However, if personal attacks and disparaging remarks continue, you will be censored and maybe more. Waking in the morning to find complaint reports does nothing to improve my day so give me a break guys. Keep it nice.:)

For what it's worth, my view on the M8 is very positive. I have one of the first issue, so it went back to Solms for upgrade. It is back again at present for focus issues, which I am confident will be addressed. In my 40+ years as a working professional I have NEVER had a piece of equipment that was faultless. I have always bought the best (IMHO) that money could buy. Working tools should always be the best you can afford, but that is no guarantee of perfection. Nothing is!

The M8 has superceded all my other cameras for the work I do. It is not perfect. Nothing is, but the M8 is definitely the best possible tool for my work. That is not negotiable.

And now back to civilized disussion guys.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm, well at the risk of commiting the offence to which you refer, I have to say that compared to the other internet forums I've visited this is one of the most flame resistant.

Indeed, there's actual moderation here which can come as a bit of a surprise to some people who are new to the forum.

Cheers,

Sean

Notice to all posters in this thread.

I have considered the situation and taken note of comments sent to me. I have now deleted certain posts and copies thereof, to the best of my knowledge. Let it be known that action can and will be taken if slanderous or otherwise offensive posts are made. This action is has been taken on my judgement as Moderator.

Enough said. I suggest we all go out and take pictures or contribute constructively to other threads and leave this one at an end.

OK, enough is enough.

I was perhaps ill advised to start this thread. I was new, and really didn't guage the mood of the members correctly, not had I expected the thread to be so contentious. I certainly did not expect it to develop as it has.

I apologise to those who have been offended by posts in this thread, it was certainly never my intention that this should happen.

Mods, please lock this thread down now.

Thanks to all who have posted here in a responsible manner, you have addressed my concerns.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK, enough is enough.

I was perhaps ill advised to start this thread. I was new, and really didn't guage the mood of the members correctly, not had I expected the thread to be so contentious. I certainly did not expect it to develop as it has.

I apologise to those who have been offended by posts in this thread, it was certainly never my intention that this should happen.

Mods, please lock this thread down now.

Thanks to all who have posted here in a responsible manner, you have addressed my concerns.

Don't worry, Doug, we've seen worse. This is a rosegarden compared to last November to March..;) If you want to sniff the atmosphere, just wander over to DPReview on the M8 now. I can guarantee you'll be running back here for a safe haven.

Doug,

I don't check into the forum as much as I used to due to time constraints, but my experience is that the general mood on this fourm is very positive toward the M8, and interactions have been very helpful to those who have had problems, if anything else at least to vent. I bought mine on December 26th, second batch, no waiting, just went to a shop and found it. It is the best photographic tool I have ever used, and what I mean by that is that I get the best results I have ever gotten, consistently, when compared to any other Leica, Nikon, or Canon I have ever owned. Here's a very satisfying shot taken in Jerusalem this past Spring. This is the kind of shot that makes me a big fan of the camera. Copyright Wilfredo Benitez-Rivera.

52568d1189045385-they-really-bad-please-let-us-old-muslim-color-resize.jpg

Cheers,

Wilfredo

Hi Wilfredo,

Here is his brother:D

Gentleman.jpg

Guest tummydoc
Ignorant sarcasm is hardly intelligent. To cut to the quick one first has to have some clue what he or she is talking about. Otherwise, its just ready-made, ticky-tacky, received thought cliche. And, even at its best, sarcasm is certainly not the highest expression of intelligence, sardonism is closer but still no cigar.

I agree Sean. In fact I tend to be blunt and to the point most of the time because it takes more time concocting a sarcastic response than most remarks merit . That you quoted my post as a call-out is a case of shooting the messenger, as I was merely completing the entire quote that someone had only posted the first half.

I agree Sean. In fact I tend to be blunt and to the point most of the time because it takes more time concocting a sarcastic response than most remarks merit . That you quoted my post as a call-out is a case of shooting the messenger, as I was merely completing the entire quote that someone had only posted the first half.

Hi Vinay,

Sorry, I didn't mean to shoot the messenger at all. I just quoted that post because of its subject. In any case, I think we've now moved on to other topics.

Its hard to get far with a thread like this because, simply put, 1) the M8 (like any camera) has its pros and cons and 2) Different people have, do and will have different experiences with the camera. Trying to come to any large generalizations about the camera is, therefore, not usually constructive.

Doug,

If you look through forum posts over time, I think you'll see both pros and cons get covered.

Cheers,

Sean

I joined (discovered by chance) the forum in June, a month or so after getting the M8. I think Leica should package the link to this forum with the M8--I've experienced courtesy and support of a level I never anticipated: the knowledge base here is incredible (the opinion base is pretty impressive too!!) and the generosity of time of strangers in solving the problems of others is outstanding.

It takes a while to work around the idiosyncrasies of the M8, but the bottom line is when there is a problem, it's good to know you're not alone. And what's wrong with aspiring towards making a good product even better? Without inquiring minds and a bit of justified stropping to compensate for industrial inertia, where is progress going to come from?

Piers, at one time this forum was directly hosted and financed by Leica, but even then they were reluctant to 'market' it. I did suggest that they include a flyer in each camera box with the URL and a brief description of the site, but when that was communicated to Leica they had no interest whatsoever. I think they were afraid that any flame-wars here might sully the reputation of the camera.

Now that the forum is independent of Leica I don't see them changing their mind unfortunately.

Piers, at one time this forum was directly hosted and financed by Leica, but even then they were reluctant to 'market' it. I did suggest that they include a flyer in each camera box with the URL and a brief description of the site, but when that was communicated to Leica they had no interest whatsoever. I think they were afraid that any flame-wars here might sully the reputation of the camera.

Now that the forum is independent of Leica I don't see them changing their mind unfortunately.

Informative history! "Vairy inneresting, but shtoopid" as the guy on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-in used to say--Leica really missed a trick there--the great synergy on this forum AND the frustration for some new M8 users who may be floundering in the wilderness unless they happen across the mine of vital information here.