Lumix S5 and flicking lights is slow mo

Yickman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi guys, I've just bought a new Lumix S5 and it's been great, only problem is that lights flicker on the screen in S&Q mode.

I live in the UK and thought that if I set the region to Pal that everything would be ok? It still flickers, even when I adjust the shutter speed to double the frame rate, or any other shutter speed for that matter.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong please?

Thank you!

Yickman

22 hours ago, jaapv said:

LEDs and fluorescents? In that case it is normal to have stroboscopic effects. Welcome to the forum :) 

Thank you! 🙂 I've got no idea now, maybe led. So those lights cause flicker no matter what fps setting or shutter speed you set the camera to?

Thanks

Yickman

• 4 weeks later...

Experiment with setting the shutter speed at levels other than 180" shutter angle. In some Panasonic cameras, there's a function called Synchro Scan which allows you to adjust the shutter speed in very fine increments in order to reduce flicker.

If you're in a European country, setting the camera to PAL and shooting in frame rates that are multiples of 25 helps. I find that a shutter speed of 1/250 for 100fps eliminates most flickering issues here in Australia. The only place where I've encountered almost unsolvable flicker is in an art gallery which uses dimmable LED lighting - dimming the lights changes the flicker frequency to something outside of the usual PAL rates, and it's difficult as heck to deal with.