New M10-M Owner

rpsawin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just ordered my new M10-Monochrom and I should see it later this week. I am excited and am looking forward to full immersion in B&W photography again. I shot B&W analogue for many years and my transition to digital has been a bit rocky and unfulfilling. I don't enjoy getting tangled up in layer after layer of tech. I'm just so excited to get back to my love of B&W shooting.

Bob

• Like 5

Well, the tech in the M10 Monochrom is the same as in the M10-R, minus the color array, so glass filters become an option.  The rest is more about mindset and ‘seeing’ in b/w mode, but still requires a disciplined PP workflow to get the best results, just as in b/w darkroom days. My b/w prints from my M10 or SL2 conversions can be just as rewarding as those with my M10 Monochrom (or M Monochrom), but the latter offer a different shooting experience. There’s no getting away from the digital tech to optimize results to your own taste.

Enjoy.

Jeff

...There’s no getting away from the digital tech to optimize results to your own taste.

True, but the M10 Monochrom frees you from the concern of white balance.  With the M10M and any of Leica's Monochrom cameras, light is light.

If you use Lightroom, processing a Monochrom file is also less fiddly.  I would think Photoshop would be the same.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

True, but the M10 Monochrom frees you from the concern of white balance.  With the M10M and any of Leica's Monochrom cameras, light is light.

If you use Lightroom, processing a Monochrom file is also less fiddly.  I would think Photoshop would be the same.

I shoot both color digital and Monochrom, and my workflow is equally disciplined and dependent on critical editing and printing decisions, regardless of any technical nuances.  (Color conversions actually provide more PP flexibility through use of color channels.). ‘FIddly’ is not a term I’d use to describe my process. YMMV.

Jeff

• Like 1

I received the camera late this afternoon and am getting batteries charged, camera set up and my lens kit ready to go. Currently it is raining. Tomorrow the weather looks to be clear and cold. I just can't wait...

Edited by rpsawin
  • Like 2

Rpswain,  Congratulations on your new M-10 Monochrom.   I am certain you will enjoy the amazing photographs that you will create with the camera.  Herr Barnack is quite correct about the files being less fiddly.  If you use Light Room, it will be even more enjoyable to achieve the final look and feel that you experienced when you created the photograph.  r/ Mark

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rpsawin said:

I received the camera late this afternoon and am getting batteries charged, camera set up and my lens kit ready to go. Currently it is raining. Tomorrow the weather looks to be clear and cold. I just can't wait...

Go out in the rain too...........damp gives texture, atmosphere and glow to B&W imaging, no reason to limit yourself to clear days.

Good luck with your new M10-M, it's a fine camera, one of the best two in the recent M lineup in my opinion.

Edited by petermullett

Peter,

I lived in the PNW (65+ years) of the USA and spent most of my time in the coastal rainforests and ocean beaches. I have as well developed sense of what you are talking about and I dearly miss it. I currently live on the east coast and it is much different here. 

2 hours ago, rpsawin said:

Peter,

I lived in the PNW (65+ years) of the USA and spent most of my time in the coastal rainforests and ocean beaches. I have as well developed sense of what you are talking about and I dearly miss it. I currently live on the east coast and it is much different here. 

I lived in the Baltimore / Washington area for close on 30 years after originally beginning my US sojourn in NYC in the early 80's......But my work in film took me all over the States, invariably ending up in Seattle after every job where I had, still have, my favourite film transfer "artist" who has been my colourist of choice for more than twenty years of my work over there. He has even "timed" three short films made here in recent years too. I loved Seattle, should have moved there for all the time I spent in the area..........Even the frequent wet weather wasn't a deterrent to this ex-Londoner. I hope to make a visit there in Spring  2022.............If only because they know how to brew a decent beer, reason enough.