35mm for M10 recommendation

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I close to buying a used M10 silver, once I find the right copy. 😊

I want to get a compact 35mm lens. I mainly shoot daily documentary of my life with my family and some “mood”/landscapes to set the scene/tell the story around my life.

The M10 will be my color camera a long side Q2Mono for my B/W documentary/reportage.

I can decide between:

- 35mm f/2.5 Summarit (prefer this design over f/2.4 version)

- 35mm f/2 Summicron ASPH. v1 or v2 (any real life difference on digital?)

- Older version of 35mm f/2 Summicron pre-asph. Love the compactness of the v4, but maybe not as good on digital?

Would love to hear some advice.

Best,

Mads

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, Steven said:

Also, if you're on a budget, you forgot to consider a little gem: the Summaron 35 f2.8. I truly love this lens. 

Good points, Steven.

At the 2-3k Euro mark what then?

f/2.8 might be a bit slow. Then Summarit would be a good option also.

As we know that I use (still have some ...)  or used those 35mm.

To be short,

Summaron 2.8/35 is not bad, but Summarit-M 2.5/35 is my favorite now.

Each Leitz/Leica 35mm is a winner anyway, so they are all different needing to be discovered.

• Like 1

Choose Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5 if you're looking for a budgetary lens fitting colors documentary via M10.
You might consider Summarit-M 50mm f/2.5 since this lens is also another affordable gem as well.

V1 aka. 8e is great for monochrome, and it also produces vivid/stunning colors while the light source is good enough.
V4 is stunning on CCD and also CMOS base camera, but the color rendition shall be different. Both of them are elegant.

Edited by Erato
wording

43 minutes ago, mcpallesen said:

f/2.8 might be a bit slow

I'm not sure that the difference between 2.8 and 2.5 is really noticeable in real life. 

I personally would go for the summaron over the summarit. But if you love your Q2M, you might like the more modern output of the summarit. Although the Sumamron is surprisingly sharp for a 60 year old lens. 

27 minutes ago, Erato said:

Choose Summarit-M 35mm f/2.5 if you're looking for a budgetary lens fitting colors documentary via M10.
You might consider Summarit-M 50mm f/2.5 since this lens is also another affordable gem as well.

V1 aka. 8e is great for monochrome, and it also produces vivid/stunning colors while the light source is good enough.
V4 is stunning on CCD and also CMOS base camera, but the color rendition shall be different. Both of them are elegant.

Thanks Erato, how is color different from Cron V4 on CMOS?

47 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

As we know that I use (still have some ...)  or used those 35mm.

To be short,

Summaron 2.8/35 is not bad, but Summarit-M 2.5/35 is my favorite now.

Each Leitz/Leica 35mm is a winner anyway, so they are all different needing to be discovered.

Yeah, I quite like the idea of the summarit. And the front element looks quite recessed, meaning I can prob skip the hood for protection, which would be ideal for “compactness”. But not sure if summarit is very bland in rendering and summicron offers more in that respect? Else I really like the idea of the summarit. Last time I had a M, I shot the 35Lux FLE, but would like smaller and lighter to be honest.

Everything looks great in Denmark even it's Summarit-M 35mm.

I'd like to share some reference photos from a photographer(Es&Mar) at Denmark as a good reference to you.

SUMMARIT-M 35mm f/2.5

SUMMARIT-M 35mm f/2.5

SUMMARIT-M 50mm f/2.5

SUMMARIT-M 50mm f/2.5

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I have the Summilux FLE, the Summicron ASPH v.1 and the Summaron f2.8.  They’re all excellent, differentiated more by speed, size and ergonomics (not a fan of the infinity lock on the Summaron) than any IQ issues, as all serve my shooting and print needs and taste given camera profile and PP flexibility. I could do well with just the Summicron as an all-purpose lens.

Jeff

16 minutes ago, Erato said:

Everything looks great in Denmark even it's Summarit-M 35mm.

I'd like to share some reference photos from a photographer(Es&Mar) at Denmark as a good reference to you.

SUMMARIT-M 35mm f/2.5

SUMMARIT-M 35mm f/2.5

SUMMARIT-M 50mm f/2.5

SUMMARIT-M 50mm f/2.5

Yeah, they look great! But would prob be as nice with Cron - photographer and PP. 😊

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, Artin said:

For 3 K euro you can pick up mint shape Summicron V2 6 bit .... 2 K euro you can get a mint 6 bit V 1.  
for 2.5 to 3 K euro you can get what in my opinion the best 35mm. That would be the Summilux pre Asph. I would consider this. ( IMHO ) 

And the Lux pre-asph is also nice on digital and not too glowy?

4 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

I have the Summilux FLE, the Summicron ASPH v.1 and the Summaron f2.8.  They’re all excellent, differentiated more by speed, size and ergonomics (not a fan of the infinity lock on the Summaron) than any IQ issues, as all serve my shooting and print needs and taste given camera profile and PP flexibility. I could do well with just the Summicron as an all-purpose lens.

Jeff

I would prefer to shoot without hood for compactness. Here the Cron ASPH v2 becomes almost as big as the LUX FLE with hood. But maybe too risky not protecting front element…

8 minutes ago, mcpallesen said:

I would prefer to shoot without hood for compactness. Here the Cron ASPH v2 becomes almost as big as the LUX FLE with hood. But maybe too risky not protecting front element…

I have v.1 ASPH…very compact even with hood.  

The Summarit is also a good choice, as it has better flare resistance than the Summicron.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S