Lenses for video on SL2

hirohhhh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks hansvons. I'm mainly looking for R lenses because of their character, so I'm open to all the "issues" it comes with. I was referring to the heavy physical wear of the lens. It's probably hard to find the one that is 50 years old and in mint condition.

Regarding focal lengths, my goal is to collect the whole range from 24 to 90. I don't need anything wider or longer. Main main focal length for photography is 28mm which I use 85% of the time, although I have everything from 9mm to 280mm, but I rarely use anything else than 28, or in rare occasions 35 and 50, but I'm glad I have it when I need it.

Btw, what's the deal with Japan Leica lenses? Are they produced in Japan, or they just somehow ended up there? Are they original Leica lenses at all? Sooo many lenses from Japan on eBay that it feels suspicious.

On 1/22/2022 at 7:41 PM, hirohhhh said:

Btw, what's the deal with Japan Leica lenses? Are they produced in Japan, or they just somehow ended up there? Are they original Leica lenses at all? Sooo many lenses from Japan on eBay that it feels suspicious.

If you mean vintage - "made in Germany" R or M lenses "FROM JAPAN" as listed on eBay, it is just an annoying trend that mythical-y everything that comes from Japan(ese ebay) is trustworthy, in "MINT+++++EXC" 🙄 condition. There is nothing special about them, its a bit like the hong-kong hub, lots of collector people, shops that specialize in trading in and out...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I recall Japan camera Hunter mentioning that Japanese camera shops often sell their second-rate equipment overseas.

I budget for service on any used equipment. It's more realistic than thinking that you found a perfect copy of a lens for an incredible price. Some vintage lenses can't be serviced at any reasonable price, but an R 28 is fairly straightforward if the parts are all there and the glass is good.

On 11/13/2021 at 2:48 PM, hirohhhh said:

Few years ago I became interested in video. At that time I had SL Typ 601 and all kinds of SL primes and zooms.

Hi all I'm glad I found this thread before posting something similar. Firstly, @hirohhhh did you like the SL video quality and interface?

My question is: How does the SL 601 video quality/look compare to the M240 (because I actually like the full-frame 'look'...) vs my Fuji XT-20 (which I just bought cheaply for video, and have a few days left to possibly return), versus say a cheaper Nikon DSLR (for which I have a lot of film-era lenses). The Fuji is nice and easy to use and video quality on one hand is great, yet it doesn't have a depth that the M240 seems to have. 

I'm looking to make more of my own music videos as a singer/songwriter. So, often a basic premise of me shooting myself playing the song on location wherever, then some interspliced B-roll for a possible narrative, vibe, etc. Very basic but I'd like it to look great.

I'd be using my roster of M lenses. 

Should I get a used SL at a good price mostly for the video? I probably wouldn't continue to actually use the M240, though I like the look. Or keep the XT-20 and use my Fuji AF lenses and/or M lenses adapted (of which I do a lot).

thanks for any help-

brian 

Edited by bdolzani