How bad is this dent on an M3?

anitsirk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Avoid unles $500.

The value of the sum of useable parts is probably worth 500 - but you will need to know what to do with them.

As a restoration project on the other hand, the camera in question is a potential (and likely) money pit, and you will end up with an unattractive camera in the end anyway. Top plate replacement and we are already deep into the pit.

Professionally used cameras may have ding, dents and visible wear but they are normally respectfully cared for, as craft people care for their tools and make sure they are mechanically and functionally sound.  This camera does not look like it falls in that category. It looks abused and there is a big difference between used and abused.

• Like 1

These dents are not very rare, but the price is exceptionally insane. If you have a good repairman who you know very well and if it’s your shared hobby to renovate, I would pay 350$ at most

Edited by otto.f

Looks like real user condition.

I managed to have less devastating bent.

But from my experience, then top plate shows this, it was significant impact.

RF goes bad after it, and frames visibility also. 

1K is at least 500 bellow of low range price for undamaged m3 in  user condition.

2 hours ago, otto.f said:

These dents are not very rare, but the price is exceptionally insane. If you have a good repairman who you know very well and if it’s your shared hobby to renovate, I would pay 350$ at most

I would like to know his name...

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

To begin with, over 1000 Euro for an unnumbered top plate...

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/265403791927?hash=item3dcb4c7a37:g:V54AAOSw79xhj8KW

:lol:

Well, there are some available on the same page (from other dealers) for a few hundred but even that's nuts. I paid £80 / $110(?) for my NOS M2 top-plate not that long ago. But I got mine from an authorised Leica Dealership rather than through eBay so that's probably why it was so cheap!...

:lol:

Philip.

Edited by pippy