How bad is this dent on an M3?

anitsirk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Offered to buy this but I just noticed this dent on the top plate. I've been searching for a single owner M3 SS. Is this worth $1k?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

In view of those pictures, I'd pass this one waiting another one.

Having it redone would be very expensive 😝.

Have a look at the shutter button which has some marks from the wind-on lever poking ... let me thinking of careless use(r) ...

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Like 1

More photos

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 11/13/2021 at 5:52 PM, anitsirk said:

yes, if the price is right.

Well, to start with you need to find a new top without serial number (not the easiest thing)  have it engraved and have to think about what to do with the Vulcanite. Then there is the question, if it looks like this, what has happened to the mechanics? Even if you clear these hurdles you'll be left with a rather common M3. Better and cheaper to buy a nice one in the first place. I personally wouldn't even consider it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, earleygallery said:

One owner? I'd rather buy a camera that's had unknown amounts of careful owners that a battered one owner example (why is number of owners important to you? Do you have proof of that anyway, cameras aren't like cars with ownership records).

It'll come with the paperwork, according to the seller it was bought in 1963.

4 minutes ago, anitsirk said:

It'll come with the paperwork, according to the seller it was bought in 1963.

Unless there's some special reason for wanting this example (very cheap, famous ex owner) I would personally look for a better one. Apart from the dents (and unknown damage inside) you would have to scrape off the rest of the vulcanite to fit a replacement covering. You can get ones that look a bit like vulcanite, but it won't be vulcanite.

As others have pointed out, I think there's quite a bit more wrong with this M3 than just the top dent....I wouldn't touch it . 

You can get an M3 in this condition  peace of mind ( @Red Dot Cameras is a member here), use it right away, avoid grief & the possibility of throwing $1, 000- away.

Edited by michali
  • Thanks 1

Personally I would consider this at less than $500.  I know M prices have risen a lot in the market, but this one almost certainly will need considerable work.  It has seen significant impacts; do we know if the viewfinder is not blacked out? 

I am actually casually looking for something like this to use in a restoration of another M3 I have.  However, I need a DS model and won't pay unfair price.

This one could easily double in price by the time it gets fully sorted.  We don't know what else may be lurking under that top plate.... Likely NOT a bargain.

FWIW I'm yet another who would say "Avoid" mainly because of doubts regarding rangefinder accuracy but also just general worries about the internals. Are the blinds light-tight? Is the shutter-speed accurate? Does the self-timer work - and if so why has the seller photographed it in a way that makes it look like it might be faulty?

The list of "What if's?" is so long that it would probably need to be sent off for a CLA. Even if that verifies that the camera is working OK once the cost of the CLA and a new covering is added to the asking price you are probably already at the going-rate for an example from a dealership which would be in better condition and come with a guarantee.

Like all of the other respondents have already said I, too, wouldn't even consider it at that price.

Philip.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...