Replacement Olympus VF-2 - It's Alive!

sdk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had a Leica M-P since mid 2015, and love it, but I went pragmatic on the EVF, and so I didn't buy the Leica branded EVF-2 Visoflex. I got a used Olympus VF-2 instead, and it's lived on my Leica M-P on countless hikes and traveled from Boston to Main, North Carolina, The Orkney Islands, and Snowdonia in North Wales, working fine. I tend to focus with the RF and compose in the EVF, because I like to do multi-image compositions, and like to precisely move from one capture to the next. So I was a bit dismayed recently when the VF-2 stopped responding to presses of the back button. Was it dead electronics in the EVF or the camera? Live view on the rear screen worked fine on the M-P. So I decided to gamble on getting another VF-2 instead of sending the camera and original in to Leica for evaluation (I live in Maine now and far from a service location or Leica Store (the closest is in Boston almost 5 hour drive away). Today another VF-2 arrived from KEH, and I plugged it into the M-P and pressed the button on the VF-2, and it lit up and works fine! So glad it wasn't a bad connection inside the camera or other problem.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is why I like an EVF: The summit of Mount Katahdin (or just Katahdin) shot with Leica M-P, 35mm/1.4 Distagon ZM, and Olympus VF-2 for framing so that all five images line up for printing:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Good for you! I have two of the Leica-branded ones, first one came withy M-P; then I 'lost it' in a friend's home who could not find it. So a new one was purchased (there were no Olympus ones to be had locally at the time). A few days after the new one arrived, my friend asked me if I knew what 'this' was! So now I have two EVFs. I though of returning the new one at whatever financial loss, but decided to keep it in case of the first one going astray again or becoming disabled.  

• 2 weeks later...