SL2-S overexposure issue

Renata

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all -
I've always got perfectly exposed shots with my old SL, but my SL2-S overexposes every single time. All settings being exactly the same on both cameras, the SL2-S always increases the ISO and ruins the exposure. Of course I can adjust the exposure in Lightroom, or I can simply set exposure compensation to a negative value and stop complaining, but I really would like to get to the bottom of this. Am I missing something? Am I the only one experiencing this issue?
I reset the camera to default settings, it didn't help.
The overexposure happens when I use SL or M lenses.
Thank you in advance for your help!

3 hours ago, Renata said:
Hello all -
I've always got perfectly exposed shots with my old SL, but my SL2-S overexposes every single time. All settings being exactly the same on both cameras, the SL2-S always increases the ISO and ruins the exposure. Of course I can adjust the exposure in Lightroom, or I can simply set exposure compensation to a negative value and stop complaining, but I really would like to get to the bottom of this. Am I missing something? Am I the only one experiencing this issue?
I reset the camera to default settings, it didn't help.
The overexposure happens when I use SL or M lenses.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Yep .... have that with mine.

It seems very generous with the ISO if you use auto ISO .

I usually set everything manually but sometimes things are moving and changing so what I`m doing now (if I use auto iso) is turn on highlight protect (or whatever is called ) .

Renata,   You might check to see if your Exposure Compenstation setting was accidently activated.  You can check in the menu.  I agree with SrMi as well. There is a meter setting that compensates for over exposed highlights and you might try that meter setting to see if that helps.  Since you already did the reset, your SL2-S might need a holiday to Leica Customer Care for a check up.  Going that route, give a detailed letter of explanation that describes the issue(s) and what things you did to resolve the problem.  Like going to the doctor, the more symptoms you give the better the diagnosis.   Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10

I don't have this problem.

Please tell us what exposure metering method/pattern you use. Can you post examples? Is it the main subject which is overexposed, or is the problem blown highlights? Have you tried highlight-weighted metering (though this is not something I use).

I never just set the camera to auto exposure and forget. I check the histogram, watch the blinkies, and use exposure compensation to stop blown highlights. There is almost always enough info in shadows to recover underexposed areas. *

If you are using centre-weighted metering, or spot metering on your subject, and there are significant bright areas like sky, then you will risk blown highlights. 

*Edit. This is the same practice I use on my CL, and was the same when I had a SL and SL2, and I haven't noticed any changes in the SL2-S - except a lesser propensity to blown highlights!

Edited by LocalHero1953

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have not run into this issue, auto ISO is working just fine, but I like to stuur your attention to M lenses sometime not working in auto iso. the camera need to know what lens is connected to work properly. If you are using the M-L leica adapter and a 6bit coded lens, Auto Iso should work fine, otherwise make sure to select the correct lens from the menu or don't use auto ISO.

17 hours ago, Michael Markey said:

Yep .... have that with mine.

It seems very generous with the ISO if you use auto ISO .

I usually set everything manually but sometimes things are moving and changing so what I`m doing now (if I use auto iso) is turn on highlight protect (or whatever is called ) .

Thank you Michael. It's good to know I'm not alone. I will try the highlight-weighted method again. It didn't help much the first time. 

15 hours ago, LeicaR10 said:

Renata,   You might check to see if your Exposure Compenstation setting was accidently activated.  You can check in the menu.  I agree with SrMi as well. There is a meter setting that compensates for over exposed highlights and you might try that meter setting to see if that helps.  Since you already did the reset, your SL2-S might need a holiday to Leica Customer Care for a check up.  Going that route, give a detailed letter of explanation that describes the issue(s) and what things you did to resolve the problem.  Like going to the doctor, the more symptoms you give the better the diagnosis.   Hope this helps.  r/ Mark

Hi Mark - Thank you. The exposure compensation is set at 0. The highlight-weighted metering didn't work for me, but I will try again.

Unfortunately, everything in the SL line needs to go to Germany and I'm trying to avoid that route. I will try to speak with someone in Leica New Jersey, maybe there is a quick fix like reinstalling the latest firmware. Wish me luck!

16 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I don't have this problem.

Please tell us what exposure metering method/pattern you use. Can you post examples? Is it the main subject which is overexposed, or is the problem blown highlights? Have you tried highlight-weighted metering (though this is not something I use).

I never just set the camera to auto exposure and forget. I check the histogram, watch the blinkies, and use exposure compensation to stop blown highlights. There is almost always enough info in shadows to recover underexposed areas. *

If you are using centre-weighted metering, or spot metering on your subject, and there are significant bright areas like sky, then you will risk blown highlights. 

*Edit. This is the same practice I use on my CL, and was the same when I had a SL and SL2, and I haven't noticed any changes in the SL2-S - except a lesser propensity to blown highlights!

Thank you for responding!

The exposure metering methods I normally use are center-weighted and spot. The whole frame is overexposed, not just the main subject. I tried highlight-weighted metering but it didn't help.

I can avoid overexposure when shooting with the SL2-S if I'm careful, but sometimes I just don't want to be careful. I use all of my digital Leicas (SL, CL, Q2, M10, M-D) the same way and always get perfect or close to perfect exposures in Auto mode, even when I'm being careless. Only the SL2-S overexposes like crazy. 

I have attached a typical SL2-S file taken in Aperture Priority mode and auto ISO: f/8, 1/60 sec, ISO 3,200. I have NO idea why the camera decided that ISO 3200 was appropriate. My old SL knows better and would never give me an unnecessarily high ISO! 

13 hours ago, Photoworks said:

I have not run into this issue, auto ISO is working just fine, but I like to stuur your attention to M lenses sometime not working in auto iso. the camera need to know what lens is connected to work properly. If you are using the M-L leica adapter and a 6bit coded lens, Auto Iso should work fine, otherwise make sure to select the correct lens from the menu or don't use auto ISO.

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Driften said:

I  haven't had any issues with my SL2-S, but I use the red dot forum SL2 presets on import into Lightroom. I haven't noticed any issue with Lightroom CC where I don't use a preset. So can't help....

Thank you.

7 hours ago, Renata said:

Center-weighted and spot. I'm getting 1 stop overexposure regardless of the metering mode I use. I tried them all. 

So you also tried multi-field and it results in same overexposure? And no matter which metering mode you use, you get exactly the same results? If so, there is certainly a defect. Spot metering is a great way to overexpose most of the frame in high-contrast situations for obvious reasons. Center-weighted does consider the whole image field, but then the weight is given to the subject elements in the center and overexposure in rest of the frame is to be expected in high contrast scenes. Note the camera decides what those "subject elements" are. 

4 hours ago, Renata said:

I have attached a typical SL2-S file taken in Aperture Priority mode and auto ISO: f/8, 1/60 sec, ISO 3,200.

I don't see the lens focal length listed here, but if it was a 50MM lens and assuming the FL was passed to the camera (via the M-L adapter for M lens or if using native SL lens) then the camera made the right calculation here using ~ 1/f shutter speed.

What does the histogram look like in live-view? Is it indicating overexposure?

The sample you posted doesn't look too bad to me. 

None of this is to say that your camera may not have an issue, just trying to eliminate any configuration issue.

Edited by ravinj

5 hours ago, Renata said:

Thanks. I guess I will have to do that too - shoot only in M mode.

Actually, you don't have to. I would suggest (in order):

1. If you haven't already done so, reach out to Leica Store Soho and ask them if you can try out a SL2-S from their demo units to compare it to your SL2-S.

2. If all of the configuration issues are ruled out, reach out to Leica NJ and ask for a loaner while your camera is being serviced.

Edited by ravinj