DAG, Don Goldberg

ldhrads

58 minutes ago, ldhrads said:

I've had great results with Don. But recently he seems to have dropped off the planet, no answer to emails etc. Anyone know if he's OK?

I corresponded with Don via email 10 days ago. He was still his old crusty self 😆

Edited by plaidshirts

Don is doing fine - I've spoken with him several times, about my camera repair, and many other things.  So much that I could say, but I think I will just post the "thank you" email I just sent Don:

Don,

Hello again from Mike Myers - my re-born(re-hatched ?) Leica M3 arrived just a few minutes ago.  I am very, very pleasantly shocked/surprised at what I found.  I knew it would be “better”, and “fixed”, but looking it over just now, it looks, and feels, and sounds like it’s a brand new M3 that was sent to me from the Leica factory!  That it’s clean, and shiny, and immaculate, with the new “vulcanite” fitted perfectly exceeded my already very high expectations!

When I pressed the shutter button, it reminded me of why I loved it so much in the 1970’s - I used to photograph plays being put on by a local school, and the people in charge were flat out amazed how quiet this camera was.  Now, once again, it just makes this barely audible “snick” sound, that I can barely hear.  It’s just as clean on the inside, and the “flaws” in the viewfinder and rangefinder are all gone, even the ones I was barely aware of.  The viewfinder is clearer than I can ever remember it being.  The label on the baseplate says “June 18, 1975”.  Since the serial number tells me it was manufactured in 1960, and since I was using it around 1970, I must have taken it in for service about that time.

To me, it seems like I was able to put myself in a time machine, and bring back a brand new M3 from when they were still available, new.  In terms of sound, it puts all my other cameras to shame.  The viewfinder now looks as clear and bright as all the write-ups on the M3 describe.

I sent it to you on September 3, so everything took about two months, which is less than I anticipated.  I’m looking forward to using it again - I’m confident the camera is now perfect, but I wonder if I know enough to get the results it is now capable of!

Thank you for being so thorough, and for getting it back to me this soon.  

I think I’ll copy this email into the Leica Forum.

(P.S. - When is the least busy time of the year for me to send you my M2 ?)

-Mike Myers

(I need a light-box to take a photo of the camera, because all the screws are so shiny they reflect other things in my room!)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

Good to know that Don is out there, his usual crusty ol' self, fixing Leica stuff to perfection 🙂 I sent him my 50mm collapsible Elmar f/2.8 a few months ago, and he had that thing dialed in perfectly before I knew it.  

Edited by Muso

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Don did such a great job of making my M3 "like new" that I  recently cancelled the waiting lists at B&H and Adorama for buying a new film Leica.  I love the M3 viewfinder so much, I'm wondering why I would also want to get my M2 restored....    

We exchanged emails about camera repair shops from half a century ago, and he knew the people (such as Marty Forscher at Camera Repair Center in New York) that I used to use way back when to work on my early rangefinder cameras (mostly Contax II).  

I think what I call "perfection", Don just considers "normal".  As more and more people re-discover film, he's likely to get even more busy bringing those old cameras back to life.

I sent Don some of my infrared photos from my M8.2 and he sent me back some Photos that he has taken - he gave me permission to post this one, which brings back so many memories to me of when I lived up north...:

• Like 2

On 11/16/2021 at 10:52 PM, MikeMyers said:

Don is doing fine - I've spoken with him several times, about my camera repair, and many other things.  So much that I could say, but I think I will just post the "thank you" email I just sent Don:

Don,

Hello again from Mike Myers - my re-born(re-hatched ?) Leica M3 arrived just a few minutes ago.  I am very, very pleasantly shocked/surprised at what I found.  I knew it would be “better”, and “fixed”, but looking it over just now, it looks, and feels, and sounds like it’s a brand new M3 that was sent to me from the Leica factory!  That it’s clean, and shiny, and immaculate, with the new “vulcanite” fitted perfectly exceeded my already very high expectations!

When I pressed the shutter button, it reminded me of why I loved it so much in the 1970’s - I used to photograph plays being put on by a local school, and the people in charge were flat out amazed how quiet this camera was.  Now, once again, it just makes this barely audible “snick” sound, that I can barely hear.  It’s just as clean on the inside, and the “flaws” in the viewfinder and rangefinder are all gone, even the ones I was barely aware of.  The viewfinder is clearer than I can ever remember it being.  The label on the baseplate says “June 18, 1975”.  Since the serial number tells me it was manufactured in 1960, and since I was using it around 1970, I must have taken it in for service about that time.

To me, it seems like I was able to put myself in a time machine, and bring back a brand new M3 from when they were still available, new.  In terms of sound, it puts all my other cameras to shame.  The viewfinder now looks as clear and bright as all the write-ups on the M3 describe.

I sent it to you on September 3, so everything took about two months, which is less than I anticipated.  I’m looking forward to using it again - I’m confident the camera is now perfect, but I wonder if I know enough to get the results it is now capable of!

Thank you for being so thorough, and for getting it back to me this soon.  

I think I’ll copy this email into the Leica Forum.

(P.S. - When is the least busy time of the year for me to send you my M2 ?)

-Mike Myers

(I need a light-box to take a photo of the camera, because all the screws are so shiny they reflect other things in my room!)

That is one immaculate M3 :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Don does the easy stuff fairly quickly like MP finder upgrades and CLA, collimating lenses. I get mine back within weeks. Complicated jobs like mods and conversions can take years. He does beautiful work so I leave him alone. One day unexpectedly a package arrives when you have forgotten all about it.

What is a "finder upgrade"?  What is done, and changed?  I think that's what he will be doing to my M2 eventually, but I don't know how it improves the camera??

I've got one more photo Don sent me - will post it here maybe tomorrow, along with a question about it.

47 minutes ago, MikeMyers said:

What is a "finder upgrade"?  What is done, and changed?  I think that's what he will be doing to my M2 eventually, but I don't know how it improves the camera??

I've got one more photo Don sent me - will post it here maybe tomorrow, along with a question about it.

The MP finder has a condenser lens the M6, M6TTL and early M7 (before serial number 288xxxx?) lacks. The upgrade lowers flare which whites out the focusing patch when light comes in at certain angles. It’s a worthwhile upgrade. Your M2 doesn’t need it.

Aha!  Don does sell and install some kind of viewfinder upgrade which works in an M2, but I didn't really look into it:

https://www.dagcamera.com/store/p111/Aperture_for_M2_Rangefinder%2C_20%_larger-_just_like_M4.-.html

I was planning on getting my M2 brought back to like-new, but I'm not really sure I need it, since he's already done my M3...

On 1/5/2022 at 3:18 AM, MikeMyers said:

Aha!  Don does sell and install some kind of viewfinder upgrade which works in an M2, but I didn't really look into it:

https://www.dagcamera.com/store/p111/Aperture_for_M2_Rangefinder%2C_20%_larger-_just_like_M4.-.html

I was planning on getting my M2 brought back to like-new, but I'm not really sure I need it, since he's already done my M3...

I had this installed in M2. It makes a moderate difference. 

Can you please elaborate?  In what way does it improve the M2 from the original setup?

I'd like to get my M2 renovated, but I'm not sure how often I might use it in the future, as most of the time I'll likely use my M3 instead.  If I want a "film look", my M8.2 comes pretty close, with a never-ending roll of film.  For the overwhelming majority of my photography I pick up my M10, my D750, or my M8.2 - in that order, more or less, and for film I now have a perfectly restored M3 (thanks to Don!), and an equally clean Nikon F4.  I guess the repair cost will be between $400 and $500 depending on what's needed - the M2 works, but the vulcanite is falling off, and there are light leaks, perhaps in the door.  The shutter closes, but sometimes not quite all the way.

Don will let me know when it's a good time to send it in - between now and then, I need to sort this out.

• 1 month later...