Jump to content

"Four Eyes": a thread for goggled lenses


stray cat
 Share

Recommended Posts

According to Ken Rockwell Leica apparently prefers to call the goggles a "finder attachment". Whatever. We need more FA photos:

oops 2016

m6ttl, 135mm Elmar-M, silvermax 100

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just got my third 35mm Summaron. I keep selling them and they keep coming back to me LOL.

Here's a test shot I took. It may be 61 years old, but it's pretty dang sharp.

📷Leica M-D 262 👓Summaron 35/2.8

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My 35mm f3.5 goggles Summaron has returned to me after spending the past 45 years with a friend, so it had a trip to the seaside. (M3, FP4, Darkroom prints.)

 

Edited by Pyrogallol
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of the thread and the photos. Though I have some silly questions:

20 hours ago, stray cat said:

M2, 35mm summaron f3.5

The M2 had proper framelines for 35mm, so it didn‘t need the goggles. Are you sure, the picture wasn‘t taken with an M3? The goggles were made for it.

17 hours ago, stray cat said:

135mm Elmar-M

… no goggled version for the Elmar.  Was it the Elmarit?

 

Edited by UliWer
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UliWer said:

I like the idea of the thread and the photos. Though I have some silly questions:

The M2 had proper framelines for 35mm, so it didn‘t need the goggles. Are you sure, the picture wasn‘t taken with an M3? The goggles were made for it.

… no goggled version for the Elmar.  Was it the Elmarit?

 

Thank you Uli for your interest in the thread and for correcting me about the 135mm lens - it is indeed a goggled Elmarit (f2.8) not an Elmar. The 35mm Summaron I used to take the picture of the boats is, however, the goggled version which was made for the M3 but which I use on my M2. I actually have an M2 version (ungoggled) of the same lens but in some ways I prefer the goggled version, even on the M2 (I don’t have an M3) as it has a shorter minimum focus distance which I find handy at times. I think it also brings up a different set of frame lines in the M2 finder than the ungoggled version but that’s neither here nor there for me in use.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, UliWer said:

I like the idea of the thread and the photos. Though I have some silly questions:

The M2 had proper framelines for 35mm, so it didn‘t need the goggles. Are you sure, the picture wasn‘t taken with an M3? The goggles were made for it.

 

I like using the goggles on my M2 because I wear glasses and 35mm framelines are too difficult to see. Using the 35mm Summaron with 50mm framelines work perfectly for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, stray cat said:

Thank you Uli for your interest in the thread and for correcting me about the 135mm lens - it is indeed a goggled Elmarit (f2.8) not an Elmar. The 35mm Summaron I used to take the picture of the boats is, however, the goggled version which was made for the M3 but which I use on my M2. I actually have an M2 version (ungoggled) of the same lens but in some ways I prefer the goggled version, even on the M2 (I don’t have an M3) as it has a shorter minimum focus distance which I find handy at times. I think it also brings up a different set of frame lines in the M2 finder than the ungoggled version but that’s neither here nor there for me in use.

Hello Phil,

All of the "goggled" 35mm lenses, of all maximum apertures, bring up the 50mm frame lines on all M cameras.

Some 35mm "un-goggled" 35mm  f3.5 Summarons bring up the 35/135 mm frame lines on whichever M camera they are used on.

There are also some early "un-goggled" 35mm f3.5 Summarons that bring up the 50mm frame lines because they were manufactured for use on an M3 before the M2 with 35mm frame lines was released. These early 35mm f3.5 Summarons were designed to be used with a SBLOO external finder.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Phil,

All of the "goggled" 35mm lenses, of all maximum apertures, bring up the 50mm frame lines on all M cameras.

Some 35mm "un-goggled" 35mm  f3.5 Summarons bring up the 35/135 mm frame lines on whichever M camera they are used on.

There are also some early "un-goggled" 35mm f3.5 Summarons that bring up the 50mm frame lines because they were manufactured for use on an M3 before the M2 with 35mm frame lines was released. These early 35mm f3.5 Summarons were designed to be used with a SBLOO external finder.

Best Regards,

Michael

Oh, thank you Michael. That certainly fills in a few gaps in my knowledge. These are tricky little things, these goggled lenses!

I wonder if Leica would consider bringing back one, for their retro series? Perhaps one based on the early 35mm Summilux "steel rim" might be a popular item, with that .65m minimum focus distance?

Thank you also plaidshirts, Pyrogallol and Dave (SailRonin) for your brilliant pictures, all of which show of the best of Leica quality that these lenses exude. And let's see more FA-photos folks - post 'em if you've got 'em!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Luther Burbank Park beach, November 2021

LEICA MP w/50mm Summicron DR on Rollei RPX 100 souped in Rodinal 1:25 and scanned with Plustek 8200.

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, stray cat said:

Oh, thank you Michael. That certainly fills in a few gaps in my knowledge. These are tricky little things, these goggled lenses!

I wonder if Leica would consider bringing back one, for their retro series? Perhaps one based on the early 35mm Summilux "steel rim" might be a popular item, with that .65m minimum focus distance?

Thank you also plaidshirts, Pyrogallol and Dave (SailRonin) for your brilliant pictures, all of which show of the best of Leica quality that these lenses exude. And let's see more FA-photos folks - post 'em if you've got 'em!

Hello Phil,

Please keep in mind that:

"goggles" on an M3 with 0.91X image magnification becomes 0.6X image magnification. Quite usable with the depth of field of a 35mm lens.

With the image magnification of 0.72X of an M2: That becomes 0.48X image magnification. Still usable. But not quite the same.

Best Regards,

Michael

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Everybody,

It would also be interesting to know the apertures used. 

Some of these "goggled" lenses are remarkably good on at tripod, at apertures 4, 5.6 & 8

I prefer a small, strong table tripod, with soft, non-marking slippers (For using against interior walls, etc.), with a large ball head & a cable release when it is possible to put it on or against something solid. Which is most of the time. It also gives me + 2 stops of stability if I hold it against my chest. The cable release is also important then.

Best Regards,

Michael

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...