Q2 with SF60 x2 and remote

Welcome. Have you tried googling? That is quite specialized. You are more likely to find videos on using strobes, and adapt to your needs. I tend to think of the Q as an available light camera, but it should be easy to operate with a trigger.

• 1 month later...

I have a Q2 and purchased the SF60 and SFC1 remote.  I am having a lot of difficulty in getting good results from the TTL setting.  I come from a Canon background with speed lights that worked extremely well both on camera and off.  Searching for some advice on settings for flash and remote as well as camera so I can continue enjoying the move to Leica.....tks

If you will show problematic shots it will help to determine what is going wrong 

I use sf-58 on Q with zero problems in reflected mode and find it’s ttl working far better then my canon and better then Nikon, in direct mode I can’t say the same but with a little tweaks (setting flash to wide mode and adjusting expo correction on flash to minus and on camera to plus) it is op-par

Without seeing your problems the only thing I can advice you is setting camera to “default flash setup” - lock your aperture to the one you need, lock your shutter speed to required one, lock your ISO to, say, 100 for the start. Then make a shot - if you find that there is too much flash and not enough background light, start increasing ISO value - this will change balance between flash and natural light getting more natural light to the shot. If you find that there is not enough light from flash, check that your aperture and shutter speed are not requiring more light then your flash can provide and adjust them to allow more light get to the sensor (open aperture or decrease shutter speed)

If you have problems with variable results (too much flash and to few flash light in series) ensure you are not shooting in continuous mode with weak batteries and try to make several shots with central focusing point selected without recomposing shot after focusing - I don’t know about Q’s ability to measure incoming light across the sensor, but some systems can do it only in the central part, while I doubt it is key problem because I don’t have problems with recomposing and using side focusing dots 

Luetz

What type of photography and what isn't working well?  I use TTL for people shots in crowded rooms when things happen quickly but for other things I go manual.  Even on TTL I use the flash compensation settings to tweak and keep everyone at that specific distance. Takes some time to get used to flash output, ISO and shutter speed.  Usually watching histogram will help you in tuning, dont use the LCD.  

Tom

Edited by tharsh

• 2 weeks later...

I  put the SF60 on a Tripod in a fixed location and take my Q2 with the SFC1 remote in the hotshoe and have everything set and confirmed on TTL.  My camera is set at ISO100 and shutter @ 250 and aperture @F4.  The TTL function should compensate the strength of the flash(duration) when changing aperture to F 5.6 to give very similar exposure with slightly more DOF.  I can of course play with the exposure compensation for fine tuning, but the whole idea of TTL is to do this automatically(within reason).

I have had great success with my previous Canon system, using off-camera flash and Cactus V6II transceivers.

I will keep experimenting until I find an acceptable level of TTL operation.  I love the Q2(too much) to give it up for the quirky TTL(off-camera) issues.

Thank you for the people that responded...