CLA 1953 Summaron 3.5 f3.5 - Worth it?

anitsirk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have two 35mm f3.5 summarons. Both had some haze and I sent both to Youxin Ye across the other side of the world and they came back sparkling and absolutely clear. Cost of the CLA was $90 each (a couple of years ago) and they are spectacular lenses, well worth it in my opinion. 

But, yeah, before I forget. They are baaaaaad lenses. B)

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, pippy said:

The last time I saw an f3.5 M-mount Summaron for sale from a dealership here in London it was £690 / €800 and it was grabbed within a couple of days after appearing....

800 € ? That's a lot.... of the standard Summarons 3,5 (*)  there are just 3 variants that can approach that amount :

- The M3 version with black paint goggles (one offered at the next Wetzlar auction : I am tempted to try.... 😉)

- The M2 version (relatively scarce)

- The very last ungoggled M3 version of 1955 (has a small difference in the engraving of the DOF scale)

But must be VERY nice &  clean to justify 800 €...  for a baaaaaad lens 😁 

(*) the "postkamera" version is of course another matter... and not a lens alone.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, luigi bertolotti said:

800 € ? That's a lot.... of the standard Summarons 3,5 (*)  there are just 3 variants that can approach that amount :

- The M2 version (relatively scarce)

But must be VERY nice &  clean to justify 800 €...

It did seem a lot to me too, Luigi, for what I would consider to be a 'normal' f3.5 Summaron. It was an early M2 version and it was very clean but even so; crazy price (IMO). But clearly someone thought otherwise.

I've no idea why these old lenses are fetching the sums they are; it seems like anything shorter than 50mm, old and clean gets hoovered up almost as soon as it comes on the market. It's been the same with things like good examples of the f1.5 Xenon / Summarit and suchlike as well. Certain accessories are in a similar position. I've been after a few things to use on some lenses - hoods and filters in the main - which used to come up fairly regularly but anytime I've seen any of them recently there has been 'Sold' written next to them pretty much as soon as they appear and the prices are rising rapidly all the time.

But some rare lenses longer than 50mm hang around for months and months even if they are priced at what I would consider 'reasonable'. Makes no sense to me.

Very strange times.

Philip.

Edited by pippy

38 minutes ago, pippy said:

It did seem a lot to me too, Luigi, for what I would consider to be a 'normal' f3.5 Summaron. It was an early M2 version and it was very clean but even so; crazy price (IMO). But clearly someone thought otherwise.

I've no idea why these old lenses are fetching the sums they are; it seems like anything shorter than 50mm, old and clean gets hoovered up almost as soon as it comes on the market. It's been the same with things like good examples of the f1.5 Xenon / Summarit and suchlike as well. Certain accessories are in a similar position. I've been after a few things to use on some lenses - hoods and filters in the main - which used to come up fairly regularly but anytime I've seen any of them recently there has been 'Sold' written next to them pretty much as soon as they appear and the prices are rising rapidly all the time.

But some rare lenses longer than 50mm hang around for months and months even if they are priced at what I would consider 'reasonable'. Makes no sense to me.

Very strange times.

Philip.

You are right... "wide is Luxury" seems a sort of mantra 😁 On the other-"long" side .. well, the "honest" Hektors 135 have been never overvalued.. and they continue this way... but I have the feel that even items like the Summarex, which once used to be the typical "precious one" in these times goes for reasonable amounts (*)

(*) So that I hope that even the Summilux 75 (a lens I always renounced to, for cost) will follow this odd trend..😎

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, luigi bertolotti said:

...(*) So that I hope that even the Summilux 75 (a lens I always renounced to, for cost) will follow this odd trend..😎

I was considering a particular 75 Summilux 12 months ago which was priced pretty well but, when I went in to see it, it wasn't quite as nice - condition-wise - as I had hoped. Nowadays the going rate for every one I've seen is 80+%  higher than was being asked back then. I sort of wish I had grabbed it when the grabbing was good!

Philip.

Edited by pippy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, pippy said:

Very strange times.

Philip.

Philip

There is an upward trend in the prices of second hand Leitz lenses in good condition. I have 5 Summarons of various types and all of them of them are excellent lenses and would sell today for more than I paid for them. I have linked the Collectiblend listings for each of them below. If you look at the brown panel on the top right you will see the current eBay listings for each type and you will see that in many cases much higher prices than the Collectiblend average are being sought. This has also been reflected in current auctions. Leitz lenses always hold their prices and most of the ones which I have (not just Summarons) would fetch a lot more than I paid for them.

https://collectiblend.com/Lenses/Leitz/35mm-f3.5-Summaron-(SM,-early).html

https://collectiblend.com/Lenses/Leitz/35mm-f3.5-Summaron-(BM,-early).html

https://collectiblend.com/Lenses/Leitz/35mm-f2.8-Summaron-(BM,-chrome,-w-eyes).html

https://collectiblend.com/Lenses/Leitz/35mm-f2.8-Summaron-(BM,-chrome).html

https://collectiblend.com/Lenses/Leitz/35mm-f2.8-Summaron-(SM).html

There is a hoary old piece of advice to 'never sell a Leica lens'. It now seems that was correct advice. I hope that Luigi gets his 'dream lens'. I would say that some of the longer ones have hit a ceiling, but if you follow auctions carefully one may come up at the 'right price'. 

William 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 11/11/2021 at 12:09 PM, stray cat said:

I have two 35mm f3.5 summarons. Both had some haze and I sent both to Youxin Ye across the other side of the world and they came back sparkling and absolutely clear. Cost of the CLA was $90 each (a couple of years ago) and they are spectacular lenses, well worth it in my opinion. 

But, yeah, before I forget. They are baaaaaad lenses. B)

It's $120 now! Still debating if it's worthy of a CLA, will need to ship it and it'll cost me an additional $60 (including insurance).

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2021 at 8:47 PM, willeica said:

Philip

There is an upward trend in the prices of second hand Leitz lenses in good condition. I have 5 Summarons of various types and all of them of them are excellent lenses and would sell today for more than I paid for them. I have linked the Collectiblend listings for each of them below. If you look at the brown panel on the top right you will see the current eBay listings for each type and you will see that in many cases much higher prices than the Collectiblend average are being sought. This has also been reflected in current auctions. Leitz lenses always hold their prices and most of the ones which I have (not just Summarons) would fetch a lot more than I paid for them.

https://collectiblend.com/Lenses/Leitz/35mm-f3.5-Summaron-(SM,-early).html

https://collectiblend.com/Lenses/Leitz/35mm-f3.5-Summaron-(BM,-early).html

https://collectiblend.com/Lenses/Leitz/35mm-f2.8-Summaron-(BM,-chrome,-w-eyes).html

https://collectiblend.com/Lenses/Leitz/35mm-f2.8-Summaron-(BM,-chrome).html

https://collectiblend.com/Lenses/Leitz/35mm-f2.8-Summaron-(SM).html

There is a hoary old piece of advice to 'never sell a Leica lens'. It now seems that was correct advice. I hope that Luigi gets his 'dream lens'. I would say that some of the longer ones have hit a ceiling, but if you follow auctions carefully one may come up at the 'right price'. 

William 

So hard to find a glass in good condition, always a gamble ordering online.

12 minutes ago, anitsirk said:

It's $120 now! Still debating if it's worthy of a CLA, will need to ship it and it'll cost me an additional $60 (including insurance).

If you are on "this" side of the pond, finding a European (or UK) tech shouldn't be that difficult. There is a sticky thread on top of this forum with lots of recommendations. Youxin Ye has many happy customers but he is not a magician, there are controversies related to his services as well.

On 11/11/2021 at 1:47 PM, willeica said:

There is a hoary old piece of advice to 'never sell a Leica lens'. 

There may be, but it should really read; "never sell a lens you like" - the "Leica" part is for most part irrelevant.

I understand that a collector does not necessarily use their lenses, but I can't, without great pain, count the times where I have sold a lens I liked in order to buy one I thought I would like better - only to find out that I miss the old lens enough to try to buy it back.
In none of these situations were I 100% satisfied with the substitute, and in the past 15 years I have not sold a single lens that I had the slightest affection for - and I believe I am a happier person because of that.

Interestingly - the lenses I liked and missed were all more expensive to re-buy. Thus never sell a lens you like!

On the other hand, when you get a dud of a lens - rid of it ASAP. It will only be a money pit.

Edited by nitroplait

50 minutes ago, nitroplait said:

If you are on "this" side of the pond, finding a European (or UK) tech shouldn't be that difficult. There is a sticky thread on top of this forum with lots of recommendations. Youxin Ye has many happy customers but he is not a magician, there are controversies related to his services as well.

I live in Asia, Kanto Camera quoted me JPY 45,000 for the overhaul + re-coating of the inner surface.

3 hours ago, nitroplait said:

There may be, but it should really read; "never sell a lens you like" - the "Leica" part is for most part irrelevant.

I understand that a collector does not necessarily use their lenses, but I can't, without great pain, count the times where I have sold a lens I liked in order to buy one I thought I would like better - only to find out that I miss the old lens enough to try to buy it back.
In none of these situations were I 100% satisfied with the substitute, and in the past 15 years I have not sold a single lens that I had the slightest affection for - and I believe I am a happier person because of that.

Interestingly - the lenses I liked and missed were all more expensive to re-buy. Thus never sell a lens you like!

On the other hand, when you get a dud of a lens - rid of it ASAP. It will only be a money pit.

I asked a renowned collector, when I was starting out, which cameras, lenses etc should I buy. His reply was 'buy the ones you like'. I still follow this advice.

I collect many different types of lenses, not just those made by Leica/Leitz, but the quote I gave was one which I heard in a Leica context.

I buy to collect and to use. I already have more than enough lenses to use at this stage, so most of what I might purchase now is for my collection.

I have had the experience of finding that a camera or lens not as good as one I had before, but I always check to see if my own photographic skills are not falling off as well.

At 72 I don't believe that I am as good a photographer as I was 10 or 15 years ago, but I still enjoy my photography and like the results. That is what counts the most.

William 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, willeica said:

I asked a renowned collector, when I was starting out, which cameras, lenses etc should I buy. His reply was 'buy the ones you like'. I still follow this advice.

I collect many different types of lenses, not just those made by Leica/Leitz, but the quote I gave was one which I heard in a Leica context.

I buy to collect and to use. I already have more than enough lenses to use at this stage, so most of what I might purchase now is for my collection.

I have had the experience of finding that a camera or lens not as good as one I had before, but I always check to see if my own photographic skills are not falling off as well.

At 72 I don't believe that I am as good a photographer as I was 10 or 15 years ago, but I still enjoy my photography and like the results. That is what counts the most.

William 

which body + lens combo you own has the most use? bought an m6 0.85 classic because I got it at a good-ish price and the value might hold up better vs an m3 (price difference then was only $500!). but i really want an m3 and everyone's advising me against the 'downgrade'. looking for tiny 35 and 50 lenses, i believe i'll use it more if it's compact.

17 minutes ago, anitsirk said:

which body + lens combo you own has the most use? bought an m6 0.85 classic because I got it at a good-ish price and the value might hold up better vs an m3 (price difference then was only $500!). but i really want an m3 and everyone's advising me against the 'downgrade'. looking for tiny 35 and 50 lenses, i believe i'll use it more if it's compact.

There are many things an M3 is, but downgrade it isn't. It's the daddy of the M range and stupendous for what it does, properly which is 50mm, and great for 90mm too. I used a goggled Summaron 35mm on mine and it was a joy. I bought an M6 at the same time and sold it soon after, much preferring the M3. 

Good luck with the lens, but I would return it, weeping oil is a dreadful thing to see.

2 hours ago, anitsirk said:

In Ms it is an M6 (0.72) with a 35 or 50 Summicron and in digital an M10 with a 35 Summicron or a 50 Summilux. I also like using the Summaron 35mm f2.8  with Goggles on the M3 where they convert the frame for 50mm to 35mm. I also have an M2 with button rewind which I like using. With LTMs my favourite user camera is a IIf Red Dial (1/1000th) with either a collapsible 50 Summicron or a Summaron 35mm f2.8 in LTM mount. I would often use an SBLOO finder on an LTM with 35mm.

I have a lot of cameras, particularly LTMs, but my favourite 35mm/digital user items are those listed above . They are cameras which handle nicely and work with my not so good eyesight. 

William 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, anitsirk said:

...but i really want an m3 and everyone's advising me against the 'downgrade'. looking for tiny 35 and 50 lenses, i believe i'll use it more if it's compact.

One of the golden rules of our world is that if  one likes to use a film Leica, ACQUIRE A GOOD M3 IS NEVER A MISTAKE 😃.  Downgrade ? that's straight clear : if you evaluate a lot TTL metering, it is a downgrade, and a marginal (and questionable) one if your preferred focal is 35.  The "right" 50 (Summicron) is not so compact... but you have the Elmar alternative if you don't care of need to extract the lens when shooting... 😉 A 35 with goggles (Summaron or Summicron ) when used regularly, with no frequent lens exchanging, is one of the best 35 framing+focusing that one can enjoy on a Leica.... it's even not too difficult to find the proper leather case for M3 with goggled 35.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2021 at 3:52 PM, Charles Morgan said:

There are many things an M3 is, but downgrade it isn't. It's the daddy of the M range and stupendous for what it does, properly which is 50mm, and great for 90mm too. I used a goggled Summaron 35mm on mine and it was a joy. I bought an M6 at the same time and sold it soon after, much preferring the M3. 

Good luck with the lens, but I would return it, weeping oil is a dreadful thing to see.

I'm still thinking about an M3 but right now the there is only a  $500 difference between a good condition M3 and my M6 Classic 0.85. 

On 11/14/2021 at 5:44 PM, willeica said:

In Ms it is an M6 (0.72) with a 35 or 50 Summicron and in digital an M10 with a 35 Summicron or a 50 Summilux. I also like using the Summaron 35mm f2.8  with Goggles on the M3 where they convert the frame for 50mm to 35mm. I also have an M2 with button rewind which I like using. With LTMs my favourite user camera is a IIf Red Dial (1/1000th) with either a collapsible 50 Summicron or a Summaron 35mm f2.8 in LTM mount. I would often use an SBLOO finder on an LTM with 35mm.

I have a lot of cameras, particularly LTMs, but my favourite 35mm/digital user items are those listed above . They are cameras which handle nicely and work with my not so good eyesight. 

William 

That's a nice collection! Can I use an SBOOI with the M6? Noob question but I bought one because I'm struggling to use the viewfinder but not sure with it's accuracy with the new-ish M cameras. It's also very very tight on the hotshoe.