My M8 is all out of whack...

Iron Flatline

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are plenty of Canon, Leica, Hasselblad, etc., systems bought for the same reasons. There are a lot of hobbyists who own $15,000 in Canon gear to take snapshots at the family get together who like to make themselves feel better by looking down on the 'posers' who buy Leica gear. After all they use a Canon PRO camera not an 'overpriced toy'. Ya right.

I'm starting to see alot more high end digital gear owned by hobbyists these days when I'm shooting. More than once I've seen nice white Canon fast zoom with the lens hood on backwards in the storage position. Cute....

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guy_mancuso

Anyone hear the saying there keeping up with the Jones's. I think many Canon and Nikon hobbyists fall into this category because of advertising in normal magazines not specialized ones like a photo mag. You will see canon ads in all kinds of magazines. Than pretty hard to miss the sea of white lenses at any sporting event. PR gets a lot of play and sales in this arena and Canon and Nikon do a lot of that. Sort of like car ads, you don't see Rolls Royce ad on TV, no but you see everything else

Guest tummydoc
Anyone hear the saying there keeping up with the Jones's.

Good point actually. Every time I hear some sour-grapes blatherer on a forum accuse Leica buyers of trying to impress their friends at the country club, I have to chuckle. My friends at the country club haven't the foggiest what a Leica is, are not only unimpressed but think me more than a little daft for paying what I did for a camera, especially one that doesn't auto-focus or have a pop-up flash, or make .mpg movies :D