Were Leica LTM cameras ever sold new in Australia?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone here know when Leica camera equipment became available in Australia? Specifically, were new Leica screw mount cameras ever sold down under? From my observation, second hand Leica screw mount camera equipment is quite rare in Australia (which makes it a bit of a challenge to find something interesting). Also, I have never seen a Leica screw mount camera with an engraving or logo of an Australian distributor or an Australian photographic dealer. Such engravings are often found on Leica LTM cameras exported to other countries and continents such as South America.

I copy the local experts @kangaroo2012 , @MarkP, and @romualdo (I certainly forgot to copy others, sorry). Thanks for any information.

Edited by Studienkamera
  • Thanks 1

This was the situation back in the 1930'...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have some interesting information regarding early Leicas in Australia

A few years ago I purchased the three volumes (original) of the Leica IIIa manual (IIRC it was on Gumtree from someone in Sydney) - see pic below of Part 3

They are dated June 1937 & the manuals are written in English

I noticed on the rear cover of Part 3, a stamp showing the seller ie "Ash, Bester & Co", Chemists and Photo. Dealers, 102 Elizabeth St. Hobart, Tasmania

I was then able to find more information about this pharmacy (doesn't exist anymore) & there's a wonderful background story (photographic), especially the postcards they produced for commercial use - I have a couple of them & can post them if you like

http://beecheyspostcardhistory.org.au/homes/publisher/6

So, it looks like they were selling Leica cameras in Tasmania in the 1930s or even earlier

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by romualdo
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sabears said:

This was the situation back in the 1930'...

need to add Ash, Bester & Co. Chemists & Photo Dealers, 102 Elizabeth St, Hobart, Tasmania (see my entry above)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Great info @romualdo! Thanks a lot. I am really surprised that one could buy a Leica in Tassie in the 30s. Would be great to find a camera sold by that pharmacy with original receipt. So far, we have evidence that at least the III was widely available down under and probably all models afterwards.

John Walshe of Hobart sold Wild (later Leica) Survey equipment to the Antarctic Division

After seeing it in Europe.

He became the Wild/ Leica agent in Tasmania, Walshe Optics and still operates.

Robert Walshe is the owner  and might have more information about cameras.

Cheers 

Philip 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1