New work with my M10 Monochrom -any questions?

John Ricard

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Shot these images on my M10 Monochrom last night.  Just wondering if anyone out there might have a question or two about these shots....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nope.  Photoshop > Filters > Neural Filters > Colorize.

Done.

It's that quick.  Literally 60 seconds total.  The result is uneven and I have had some weird colors produced by the filter, but sometimes, like you see here, the result is close to perfect.  If you know how to select a color range and change the hue of that color, I think you could possibly create a color image that looks fine to the average eye.  Note, these filters are still in Beta mode.  Imagine how good this technology will be in 3 years.  Sort of pointless to do this to M10 Monochrom files when you bought the camera specifically to create black and white images, but it is fun to play with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

5 hours ago, overexposed said:

why did you focused on her lips/teeth?

It was intended to be a shot of her lips.  I have others where I focused on her eyes.  And for the 3 images I posted here, I didn't actually do a proper edit in terms of really picking the best shots.  I selected 3 shots from the thumbnails and then used the colorize feature in PS.  So these aren't necessarily the strongest images from the shoot.  

I had to try that myself. Pretty impressive. The filter allows you to adjust the colors, but the defaults are pretty good. M246 | ZM 35 C-Biogon

• Like 1

Yeah, I would never know that that was a Monochrom shot.  The odd thing is that PS seems to add a lot of purple where it doesn't belong.  I think if you were to create an adjustment layer and select the purple it wouldn't be difficult to change the hue of the purple to something else.  I've never actually done it, but I've seen it done in many tutorials and it looks pretty simple.  The other thing is, I think PS is intentionally trying to use a retro (their term) color palette.  The filter is designed to colorize old B&W photos.  I think if they were trying to colorize modern Monochrom shots, the results would be even better than they are today.  The filters are still in Beta mode. I have no doubt in 2 or 3 years, the filters will work consistently well.  Then the only thing will be our stupidity for buying a black and white camera only to turn around and cover the images to color ;)

The tool has sliders for color adjustments. I tried it on a few more complex images. They look a lot like hand-colored photos, with some colors way off, and generally oversaturated. But a decent starting point. 

I think it's amazing technology, From a collection of gray tones it can identify the subject and colors elements of it fairly accurately.

John  

• Thanks 1

"Forgive the simple (dumb) question - but how does it know what to do? Say for instance, the background - how does it pick a color for that?"

Its an AI program that picks the subject and backgrounds. The latest updates with Photoshop 2022 have several creative options and improved on previous selection methods. Luminar Ai software have had better outcomes than Photoshop for filters and selection methods but Photoshop have upped their game recently. Changing a sky is as easy as clicking a button these days.   

Thanks for posting this. I tried it on a few files and the results were so good, I almost didn't need to do any tweaking. In fact, in areas where the color was a little off, I felt that just contributed to the intentionally retro, colorized look. Pretty amazing. 

• Like 1