M4-P owners help! Camera Lug failure today 😪

Quick update…spoke to the dealer who was equally surprised to see the broken lug. No questions asked and took it in for repairs. Quoted a month. 

saw a pretty mint looking Wetzlar M6 and seemed to be in good functional condition so topped up a little more and traded the M4P for it. Hope the M4P will bring some joy to the future owner and not cause him/her grief like it did to me! 

glad to be out and about shooting film again….albeit with the M6. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

Good decision! I added an M6 (Wetzlar) to my M4 in 1985, and have used both since then, but quickly found I used the M6 most. Later added a couple M3 and an M2 to see what I was missing - and never bonded with either. A few years ago I had the M6 VF upgraded, which is something you might consider if you find the occasional RF patch flare a problem. (But I used mine for decades with the original finder.) 

• Like 2

On 11/7/2021 at 9:58 AM, jayboy76 said:

Thanks there! Great tip on the black tape over the exposed lug area. I didn’t realise that it could leak light in.

Best way of making it light tight is to use a piece of aluminium foil taped over the hole. Plastic tape is not necessarily opaque, aluminium foil is.

5 hours ago, jayboy76 said:

Quick update…spoke to the dealer who was equally surprised to see the broken lug. No questions asked and took it in for repairs. Quoted a month. 

saw a pretty mint looking Wetzlar M6 and seemed to be in good functional condition so topped up a little more and traded the M4P for it. Hope the M4P will bring some joy to the future owner and not cause him/her grief like it did to me! 

Looks fantastic. Good decision, too. M6 is essentially an M4-P with a light meter. The practical convenience of an inbuilt meter cannot be overestimated. 

Enjoy!

5 hours ago, TomB_tx said:

Good decision! I added an M6 (Wetzlar) to my M4 in 1985, and have used both since then, but quickly found I used the M6 most. Later added a couple M3 and an M2 to see what I was missing - and never bonded with either. A few years ago I had the M6 VF upgraded, which is something you might consider if you find the occasional RF patch flare a problem. (But I used mine for decades with the original finder.) 

Indeed! I intend to use it as much as possible before any upgrades as it’s madness that I had to pay USD2800 for it in current 2021 prices. Sigh…

On 11/13/2021 at 7:31 AM, jayboy76 said:

That was their ploy all along - to get you to spend more money ;)

Don’t get me started on the current prices of M bodies. 3-4 years ago I sold my M4, M4-2, M5 and M6 for less than $4k if I recall correctly. But I’d rather not recall…