Q2M owner wondering if he should rent a Q2 for trip to Italy

higa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/7/2021 at 8:44 AM, higa said:

Huh, I do have the RF 50 1.8 STM that I use for video only. Comparisons to the 28-70 vs. the 50mm 1.8 in still photos just don't stand up, but these are only vacation pics.  Maybe I'll carry this combo around a while and see how I like the weight. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, I'looked as the SL2 on and off for a couple of years now...

Hi Jeff, read your posts and looked at your website and am clueless as to why you traded a Q2 experience for a Q2M. In your place I'd sell that Q and get a Leica CL with the incredible TL11-23mm, for price-quality probably the best zoom lens anywhere bar none. Or just a TL 23mm f/2, really excellent and tiny, my own favorite. The CL allows you 1.7x cropping zoom at a button push- you'll not need more pixels, wildlife is scarce in Italian cities. Get it and don't look back...

BTW the light in Italy around this time is mostly fresh and crisp. Also BTW, your daughter being a poet she could be less excited by Milan, so assuming you'll be traveling Rome to Venice by high speed train, on the way back consider a stop in Bologna or Padua instead? More romantic, or if you can afford a small detour, Verona (Romeo! Juliet!) or Ravenna (insider's tip). Wish you a great journey!

• Like 3

On 11/7/2021 at 8:42 AM, Herr Barnack said:

I don't find one small to medium camera bag with 2 cameras and a total kit weight of 5-6 pounds to be cumbersome.  YMMV.

Another camera bag that will hold two Q2s is the Wotancraft Pilot 7 liter camera bag - https://www.wotancraft.tw/en/product/pilot-travel-camera-sling-bag-7L-khakibrownC

the 10 liter version is still light in weight and not huge, and gives you a little more room - https://www.wotancraft.tw/en/product/pilot-travel-camera-sling-bag-10L-khakibrownC

I have the 7 liter size and it is ideal for a Q2, spare battery and a few incidentals.  It will hold my Q2 and my M10 Mono with either my 28 Elmarit or my 50 Summarit attached. 

I have, and LOVE the 7L version of this bag. I find this to be a terrific solution for 1 or 2 small bodies. In fact, I recently had an extended trip with the Q2M and a SL with a Sigma 45mm attached in the bag. Also had needed memory cards, couple filters, batteries, etc. and still quite manageable. 

Color vs mono is such personal decision, I hate to assume what would be best for you. On this recent trip I was out for 17 days with the two bodies mentioned above. I've not done the accurate math but I'm thinking I have 4:1 of Q2M to SL.  I see mention of low-light capabilities, but the Q2M is SO much more than that. For me, it is shaping up to be the perfect solution. 

It will really come down to your personal style and preferences.  While the colors are amazing in Italy, I'd be super excited to have the Q2M in country. For the fall colors you would likely want to use some filters to enhance the results. For -me- I'd consider the capable iPhone 12 in RAW for color captures. Given the nature of most travel photos they reside on small digital screens and often not printed. 

• Like 2

Last time I was in Positano and Ravello I took my Q2 and my a7r iv with a 15mm 5.6, 24 1.4, 50 1.4 and 100 2.8 STF.  I used the Q2 for 95% of my photos.  The only thing I didn’t love about the Q2 was taking photos at night in dimly lit areas as I’ve always found anything over 3200 ISO with the Q2 to be noisy.  Not an issue if shooting anything without motion because of the IBIS, but if I had to do it again I would take my Q2M and a Q2 (which I sold for a SL2-S) and use the Q2M in dimly lit areas in certain conditions. Even on my last trip 75mm crops were useable.  So I would agree with the Chicken.  

Edited by Dr. G
  • Like 1

Here is a debatable and sideways response. 

Forget buying / renting  / carrying any other camera and buy yourself an Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max. It is only double the Q2 rental cost but you will also have a new 'phone! Use that for the colour shots and the Q2M for the B&W. Forget what the purists may say, the iPhone is much more than capable for top quality holiday photographs especially if you use an app such as Halide and shoot raw. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I purchased a Q2 just before my last trip to Europe, Wanting a small form factor.

i found the Q2 extremely satisfying. It’s lens and sensor are wonderful , it’s eqsy to carry and unobtrusive. And shooting a Leica is satisfying in every way. Extra battery and memory cards are a must!

Enjoy your journey with a Leica!

Edited by Bewithabob
  • Like 1

I have both and have been to Italy with just the Q2.  I can honestly say the one of my favorite aspects of those photos is the vibrant color.  I would definitely recommend a color camera for the trip.  I found the key to traveling with a camera there was limiting myself to what I could comfortably and securely have with me at all times.  You could probably just take the R5 with one lens and be fine.

• Like 1