Q2M owner wondering if he should rent a Q2 for trip to Italy

higa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I read all the Q2 vs. Q2 M threads, but am really no closer to a decision. In 2019, just before the pandemic, I bought a Q to take with me on my first trip to Italy. Loved it but sold it during the pandemic. MIssed the Leica experience, so I eventually bought a Q2M that I use for "home" or "street" photos (I use a Canon R5 for journalistic work) and consider my "art" camera.

I will be returning to Italy in late November for essentially a vacation for 9 days. I went to price out a Q2 rental, which was about $555 for those days. I don't really want to take both cameras with me, I hate to leave camera equipment in hotel/lodgings while I am not there. I can see the Q2M being a really good option for low light photos but I'm wondering if I will miss all that Italian colors or whatever. I could see saying to myself, "Damn, I wish I had a color sensor right now." My child will be with me but at 19, she is more interested in taking selfies and social media stuff. Probably will be doing a couple of days in Rome, some in Venice and Milan.

Anyone have a strong opinion or some thoughts? Maybe I should just carry around two Q2 cameras, anyone do that? (I saw a video by a Filipino photographer who did that and it seemed unsatisfactory to him.)

5 minutes ago, frame-it said:

or just carry the R5 and save money

Lol. I have the 28-70 f/2 on the R5 as my only lens. The combo is way too heavy for me to carry around for walking & travel. I put up with it for work but I don't really enjoy the camera.

Even in Italy, the November weather may be rainy/overcast/foggy, esp. in Venice or Milan. Unless you only want moody, atmospheric images - or are happy to work on contrast in post - you'll get more pop from color. And you can indeed always convert to b&w.

I'm an M user and don't have a Q2 or Q2M, and would probably take both my M10 and M10M for such a trip, but if I had to take only one, it would be the M10.

• Like 1

Assuming you're travelling from Honolulu, it's a long way to go and then find you have the wrong camera!  I have both the Q2 and Q2M, and they both fit easily in my Fogg b-laika bag.  I often travel with both and weight is definitely not an issue.  The only problem is when you have both, you will always want both.  No point in renting 🙂

• Like 1

not trying to be confrontational but just wondering - why did you get the Q2M if you have a desire (even if infrequent) to shoot color? My take (which has been criticized by some Q2M owners) is that if someone doesn't have money to buy both the Q2 and Q2M and has a desire to sometimes take color images, that person should not get the Q2M regardless how great its low light capabilities are. 

But back to your question: my vote is against carrying 2 cameras. Do you still have your Q? If so take it. If not, rent/borrow a Q or Q2. On the limited times that low light functionality is desirable, you can nonetheless deal with noise in post so long as focus is still spot on.

Edited by brickftl
mistaken typing
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, higa said:

Hi, I read all the Q2 vs. Q2 M threads, but am really no closer to a decision. In 2019, just before the pandemic, I bought a Q to take with me on my first trip to Italy. Loved it but sold it during the pandemic. MIssed the Leica experience, so I eventually bought a Q2M that I use for "home" or "street" photos (I use a Canon R5 for journalistic work) and consider my "art" camera.

I will be returning to Italy in late November for essentially a vacation for 9 days. I went to price out a Q2 rental, which was about $555 for those days. I don't really want to take both cameras with me, I hate to leave camera equipment in hotel/lodgings while I am not there. I can see the Q2M being a really good option for low light photos but I'm wondering if I will miss all that Italian colors or whatever. I could see saying to myself, "Damn, I wish I had a color sensor right now." My child will be with me but at 19, she is more interested in taking selfies and social media stuff. Probably will be doing a couple of days in Rome, some in Venice and Milan.

Anyone have a strong opinion or some thoughts? Maybe I should just carry around two Q2 cameras, anyone do that? (I saw a video by a Filipino photographer who did that and it seemed unsatisfactory to him.)

@higa   If I were in your situation, here is what I would do:  I would just buy the color Q2 rather than spend $555 renting one.  My guess is that if you rent it you will like it, want a color Q2 and will have spent $555 that could have gone toward buying a color Q2; that would be a kick in the teeth money wise.

I would get a Think Tank Photo Retrospective 7 V2.0 camera bag to carry both the Q2 Mono and the color Q2 in and take the bag and both cameras with me everywhere to avoid hotel room burglary and to avoid not missing photographs you will want to make.

This bag is not huge and bulky IMO and it is comfortable to carry around all the time.  The smaller Retrospective 5 V2.0  is just large enough to fit a pair of Q2 cameras (if sitting on their sides), which would save an additional .7 pounds.  If you leave the battery chargers for both cameras in your hotel room, the Q2, Q2 Mono and Retrospective 7 V2.0 have a combined weight of just 5.88 pounds (or 5.18 pounds with the Retrospective 5).  Carrying that amount of weight in a comfortable to carry camera bag shouldn't be a burden, I would think.

This way, you have the best of both worlds - color and B&W - in a pair of world class travel cameras. 

I would not put too much stock in the Filipino photographer's dissatisfaction with carrying two Q2 cameras.  JMHO.  It's one guy, one opinion in a world with hundreds of thousands of satisfied Q, Q2 and Q2 Mono users.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 3

I have a Q2, and borrowed a Q2M for a few months.  As much as I love shooting Q2M, color is a must for fall in Italy, with all the beautiful foliage.  However, instead to rent a Q2 for $555, I would just buy a 35/1.8 for you R5 (Q2 is small, but not that much smaller).  Personally, I will never carry two Q2s.  The wide angle, high MP, and relatively compact weight allows me to enjoy walking around with just Q2 on my neck, without a camera bag (don't even need filter or spare battery).  If I am carrying a camera bag, the second body would be a APS-C or M43 body with a long prime, not a color/non-color version of the same camera.  

• Like 1

Q2M with the R5 + RF 50 1.8 STM, which is even smaller than the RF 35 1.8. Now you have two very different focal lengths and two types of sensors.

Also if you're up for not much more money than the Q2, you could consider an SL2 or SL2-S + CV 35 or 50 APO (or any other sub-$1K M lens). They would share batteries, menu design, ergonomics, etc. and make for a more seamless shooting experience than Q2M + R5.

• Like 1

I would say that an ultra wide angle, something wider than 21 even - I would go 16 (being conservative lol) for mountains up-closer and old streets.

as you only have a 28-70, it sound that you are not a ultra-wide angle type - it's very likely you would need a fast uwa for the tight streets, inside buildings and sometimes landscapes as feet-zooming won't work that often.

If I was in you shoes, I would take the Q2M, the R5 with a 14-35 or 16-35f/4 with adapter (they going cheap used) but you still might want something a bit longer than 35mm...a 24-70mm f/4 used could fit, and both would be easy to sell afterwards at a loss smaller than the q2 renting cost.

but that's me - otoh indeed a  Q2  it's the best companion as it used same battery same UI, and both would fit on a small pack (don't carry obvious camera bags to Italy or for all matters travelling)

Edited by nwphil
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, hdmesa said:

Q2M with the R5 + RF 50 1.8 STM, which is even smaller than the RF 35 1.8. Now you have two very different focal lengths and two types of sensors.

Also if you're up for not much more money than the Q2, you could consider an SL2 or SL2-S + CV 35 or 50 APO (or any other sub-$1K M lens). They would share batteries, menu design, ergonomics, etc. and make for a more seamless shooting experience than Q2M + R5.

Huh, I do have the RF 50 1.8 STM that I use for video only. Comparisons to the 28-70 vs. the 50mm 1.8 in still photos just don't stand up, but these are only vacation pics.  Maybe I'll carry this combo around a while and see how I like the weight. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, I'looked as the SL2 on and off for a couple of years now...

I have a Q2M and find myself using it mostly for indoor friends/family and night street photography. I just took a trip and wished I had a Q2 instead before I left. That feeling passed and I wound up taking my Q2M and Ricoh GR3 with me. Would it have been easier to just have a Q2? Of course, but the Q2M just hits the spot for low light work.

• Like 1

Am 6.11.2021 um 07:25 schrieb higa:

I could see saying to myself, "Damn, I wish I had a color sensor right now."

That is the reason why I don't consider a BW camera, if i would want some BW photos I convert them with software.

Italy is a colorful country and I would take only my Q2 with me, just too much beautiful things to photograph in color.
If renting for about 10% for the cost of a new one makes sense is a personal decision, for me it would be a borderline decision.
Another Camera would give me some more options because of the interchangeable lenses, but I don't want to haul bulky gear around and continuously change lenses.
I did that before for a long time and im done with it and as you have experience with the fantastic 28mm you know the limits of this lens.

You may buy it and make some experience with converting color to bw and decide then to keep the Q2 and sell the Q2M?

Chris

• Like 1

18 hours ago, T25UFO said:

Eight replies and eight different solutions.  Probably doesn't help, but I think the Official Leica Chicken has nailed it.

Unless the OP doesn't want the weight/cumbersomeness of dragging around 2 cameras and bag.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, brickftl said:

Unless the OP doesn't want the weight/cumbersomeness of dragging around 2 cameras and bag.

I don't find one small to medium camera bag with 2 cameras and a total kit weight of 5-6 pounds to be cumbersome.  YMMV.

Another camera bag that will hold two Q2s is the Wotancraft Pilot 7 liter camera bag - https://www.wotancraft.tw/en/product/pilot-travel-camera-sling-bag-7L-khakibrownC

the 10 liter version is still light in weight and not huge, and gives you a little more room - https://www.wotancraft.tw/en/product/pilot-travel-camera-sling-bag-10L-khakibrownC

I have the 7 liter size and it is ideal for a Q2, spare battery and a few incidentals.  It will hold my Q2 and my M10 Mono with either my 28 Elmarit or my 50 Summarit attached. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, higa said:

Huh, I do have the RF 50 1.8 STM that I use for video only. Comparisons to the 28-70 vs. the 50mm 1.8 in still photos just don't stand up, but these are only vacation pics.  Maybe I'll carry this combo around a while and see how I like the weight. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yeah, I'looked as the SL2 on and off for a couple of years now...

Stopped down, the 50 1.8 is very sharp, even to the corners. It isn’t on the same level as the 50 1.2 (or the 28-70), but it may surprise you for stills. Picking up a cheap RP body for it makes the combo even smaller and lighter.