In the streets of Teheran

benqui

If I think about it, just about all the Iranians I've met (none in Iran) have referred to themselves as "Persian," distancing themselves from what has been reported in the media here over the last four decades or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stuny said:

If I think about it, just about all the Iranians I've met (none in Iran) have referred to themselves as "Persian," distancing themselves from what has been reported in the media here over the last four decades or so.

Very true because they are very proud of their history and “real” culture, and what they have contributed to our civilization for thousands of years. But they greatly despise what is going on today in their country. One of my friends who is a history professor pointed out that even the Iranian flag under the present regime is the only flag in the world that has a “foreign “ word on it and design from a foreign graphic. He is also sure that if and when Iranians have the freedom, many would would convert to Zoroastrian, the old Persian religion.

Edited by Louis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stuny said:

A dear friend In India (and a member of the Leica forum) is Zoroastrian, and his ancestral roots are Persian.

Lots of Zoroastrians moved to India when the Arabs invaded Persia and forced Persians to convert to Islam to save their life.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 5.11.2021 um 01:23 schrieb benqui:

For the first time I saw a female street musician

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I hope you liked the short walk through the streets of Teheran. If you ever have the possibility to visit this country, go for it! You will not regret it!

Thanks for sharing your work from the streets of Teheran. I visited in 1975, and again a couple years ago (toured the whole country for weeks). Fascinating place, fascinating people...

• Like 1

Thank you for the wonderful and telling series of images from and about Iran.  I kept increasing my enjoyment with each frame as I scrolled down the page.

Your photos reinforce why I have been interested and pursued photography since the age of seven with my Kodak 307 (which I still have).  It is a way of sharing with myself and with others an experience.  Capturing a moment with a camera perhaps encourages a better noticing of the world, a better understanding and a better memory of an experience.

Btw, isn't the Leica Q series of cameras really great for travel?

Much appreciation for your submissions here allowing Forum members to learn from your travel experiences..

• Thanks 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb m410:

Thank you for the wonderful and telling series of images from and about Iran.  I kept increasing my enjoyment with each frame as I scrolled down the page.

Your photos reinforce why I have been interested and pursued photography since the age of seven with my Kodak 307 (which I still have).  It is a way of sharing with myself and with others an experience.  Capturing a moment with a camera perhaps encourages a better noticing of the world, a better understanding and a better memory of an experience.

Btw, isn't the Leica Q series of cameras really great for travel?

Much appreciation for your submissions here allowing Forum members to learn from your travel experiences..

Your kind words are much appreciated, thanks a lot! Photography is really the perfect tool to understand the world a bit more. After taking a photo there was always enough time to talk to the people, to hear something about their live.

Yes, the Q is really perfect for travel. Easy to handle, good working AF, great results with almost no need for postproduction,  not heavy, relatively small and without attracting attention.

• Thanks 1

I really enjoyed your series. My wife is Iranian, having left after the Revolution but she has a brother and sister still living in Tehran. I would love to go visit however she still doesn't feel it's safe for an American at this time.

Have you ever had any difficulty photographing people? 

Am 11.11.2021 um 23:20 schrieb Sailronin:

I really enjoyed your series. My wife is Iranian, having left after the Revolution but she has a brother and sister still living in Tehran. I would love to go visit however she still doesn't feel it's safe for an American at this time.

Have you ever had any difficulty photographing people? 

Glad that you like the photos! I felt very very safe and there was never a problem with „anti-American, - Europe or -German. On the contrary many Iranians said to me:“ tell your people at home that we are not against the West, that we are no fanatic terrorists.“

I also never had any problems to take photos from people. In most cases I asked before and estimated 9 out of ten did not have any issues and were very friendly. I think that I would have more problems to take street portraits in the Munich pedestrian zone😉

Am 12.11.2021 um 02:55 schrieb turner:

Yes, a wonderful set. Thank you for sharing. 

Thanks a lot!