In the streets of Teheran

benqui

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had the opportunity to visit my favorite city again! And like always it was a joy to walk through the streets, talking to the extremely friendly Iranians, having fun and admiring the wonderful palaces and mosques. All photos were taken with the Q2

Be careful when you enter the metro, the first and the last wagon is always reserved for women

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

they were too fast for my AF:

• Like 15

Near the Tajrish metro station in the north of Teheran, there is a beautiful bazaar and also the Emamzadeh Saleh mosque is worth to see

• Like 11

You can create your own perfume

and like always and everywhere in Iran, you see women with the typical bandage after a nose operation. Iran is worldwide the country with the highest amount of nose operations.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

People sitting in front of the mosque, talk, or just make a selfie which is also very popular

• Like 9

• Like 17

For the first time I saw a female street musician

I hope you liked the short walk through the streets of Teheran. If you ever have the possibility to visit this country, go for it! You will not regret it!

• Like 16

3 hours ago, benqui said:

Also two contrasts, one the one hand the girl in very traditional clothes on the other hand a skater girl, where nobody would think that it is in Teheran.

Not just a skater. She's also wearing a t shirt from a black metal band, by far the most extreme and disturbing fringe of heavy metal music. That makes the contrast even stronger. 

• Thanks 1

Mark, your set is fascinating but very sad. I have been in Iran too and my best friends are Iranians. These shots show why so many Iranians live away from their country. They always talk of their birth place with tears in their eyes. For them, the Islamic revolution ended their dreams and joy. Many of them, can never go back and die in foreign countries.  Those women in your wonderful pictures tell us why. They can’t even choose their own dressing and should hide behind what my friends call the veil of shame. 
Liberties and freedom were killed for many, and this country with its wonderful people are so misunderstood and hopeless now.

BTW, as you may well know, what you are calling traditional clothes are not really traditional. They became “traditional “ under the rule of Mullahs. Iranian women were among the most fashionable and modern women in the world, and they always had an important part in their society and even history. The religious fascism and superstition made of them a lesser citizens at the present. 

Edited by Louis
  • Like 4

vor 12 Stunden schrieb stuny:

Thank you for the personal travel log, and a fine look at the people.  Do you have any idea why so many Iranian women get nose operations?

As far as I know it is just because of aesthetics. 

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Louis:

Mark, your set is fascinating but very sad. I have been in Iran too and my best friends are Iranians. These shots show why so many Iranians live away from their country. They always talk of their birth place with tears in their eyes. For them, the Islamic revolution ended their dreams and joy. Many of them, can never go back and die in foreign countries.  Those women in your wonderful pictures tell us why. They can’t even choose their own dressing and should hide behind what my friends call the veil of shame. 
Liberties and freedom were killed for many, and this country with its wonderful people are so misunderstood and hopeless now.

BTW, as you may well know, what you are calling traditional clothes are not really traditional. They became “traditional “ under the rule of Mullahs. Iranian women were among the most fashionable and modern women in the world, and they always had an important part in their society and even history. The religious fascism and superstition made of them a lesser citizens at the present. 

You are so right Louis! It is very sad for the people, I also know some Iranians who left the country after the revolution and as you said, they really talk about their beloved country with tears in their eyes. Just compare the ancient photos from the 60ties with now. You think you are in two totally different countries. I have talked to many students and I think 80% of them want to leave the country because of the current situation. On the one hand you have many people who really do not earn a lot of money one the other hand you see huge houses (palaces) which are owned by the Mullahs who sent their kids to Europe or the US where they can live without any restrictions. It is really very sad and the more I think about this situation the angrier I become.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for sharing these wonderful images, @benqui.  So these are B&W conversions from a color Q2, is that correct?

I have to wholly endorse the information and views presented above by @Louis - knowing the repression the people of Teheran - and the women in particular - are forced to live under is saddening.  In spite of all our issues/problems/controversies, we who live in the west have much to be grateful for.

Based on the information I have read, I am surprised that Teheran - and Iran in general - are safe for westerners to travel to.  Would you kindly relate your observations and experiences on that issue?

• Like 3

vor 4 Minuten schrieb Herr Barnack:

Thank you for sharing these wonderful images, @benqui.  So these are B&W conversions from a color Q2, is that correct?

I have to wholly endorse the information and views presented above by @Louis - knowing the repression the people of Teheran - and the women in particular - are forced to live under is saddening.  In spite of all our issues/problems/controversies, we who live in the west have much to be grateful for.

Based on the information I have read, I am surprised that Teheran - and Iran in general - are safe for westerners to travel to.  Would you kindly relate your observations and experiences on that issue?

Thanks a lot for your comments! Yes these are b/w conversions from a Q2 and I have to admit that although I really love my M10-D, the Q2 is the perfect travel companion. 

I was 4 times in Iran and I always felt very safe. I never had any problems to walk around, to talk to people or to take a photo. When I asked someone to take a photo, it was never a problem. On the contrary, it is very easy to come into contact with people. And many said to meplease tell the people in your country that we are no terrorists, that we want to live in peace like everybody. And you will never forget the incredible hospitality of these wonderful people. It was very funny I was invited for dinner at an Iranian family and they prepared so many different dishes that it was impossible for me to eat more. But the lady of the house said to me: eat, eat you have to try everything. I looked to her husband and he said to me: if you want to have an easy life, do it as I do it: just do what my wife is saying!

To me as a foreigner it is very difficult to fully understand the situation of the women in Iran. The country is too different and I think there are huge differences between the live of the women in a city like Teheran and the countryside. I found that the women in Teheran were very strong, self-confident and self-determined. Especially in the north of Tehran they did not care much about the veil and in the stores or cafes they did not wear the veil. But on the other hand on the streets they have to wear it. An Iranian friend of mine was caught driving her car without a veil and she was sentenced not to use her car for one week, crazy world.

• Like 5