OhOh, future of CL?

PDP

3 minutes ago, PDP said:

Today I was invited to participate in a survey on future interfaces, screens etc. for Leica. Upfront I was asked, which camera I use. And the CL was not on the list…

Me too, that was a bit daunting, especially the questions about the SL Successor.  Advantages of full frame aside, APS-C has a lot to contribute, size, weight, exciting new lenses.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Louis said:

I did mention CL in their survey, and my interest in APS-C system. It did pass and I hope many other CL users would do the same.

Yes Louis, me too.   I hope all CL users take the opportunity to list the CL in "others"  and comment accordingly.  Although, I'm pretty sure Leica have made their mind up by now where they are going with aps-c and there doesn't seem to be much light on the horizon sadly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, mikeLD said:

Me too, that was a bit daunting, especially the questions about the SL Successor.  Advantages of full frame aside, APS-C has a lot to contribute, size, weight, exciting new lenses.  

Simple. As long as they make a fully featured SL successor, but in the body of a CL, and with an APS-C sensor, then I would consider buying the new that body - I don't need my next Leica to be called "CL2".

I have other systems for when I want a bigger body (perhaps to go with a 600 mm lens) or for when I want a larger sensor.

I have my CL as a compact system that provides me with the controls I need, and without the features I don't need.

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Reports of the CL’s death are greatly exaggerated.” 

If you’re being positive you would say the design and production of the CL2 is already baked so there’s no point in asking about it.

The survey btw. Is incredibly badly written and organized. If you were the market researcher for an F.100 company and you presented this survey to management you would get fired for wasting everyone’s time.

Edited by Le Chef
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Le Chef said:

The Reports of the CL’s death are greatly exaggerated.” 

If you’re being positive you would say the design and production of the CL2 is already baked so there’s no point in asking about it.

Oh , how we will laugh when the CL II is unveiled next week 😬 rather than the M 11. ... remembering the pre-launch teaser campaign for the X-vario 'Mini-M' ; maybe not !

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, satijntje said:

Just to finish a few dreams: Leica has stated that there will be no CL2. 
APS-c market was very disappointing and this will not be further explored.
These were the words of Mr Daniel in October 2021 at a talk in Wetzlar.

And no one who attended that event has confirmed that he said that.

vor 23 Minuten schrieb Le Chef:

And no one who attended that event has confirmed that he said that.

If we are talking of the September (!] event at Wetzlar, both John and  I were there. I can confirm that Daniel said that no decision was made to continue the CL system and apologized. 

Edited by EUSe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, satijntje said:

Just to finish a few dreams: Leica has stated that there will be no CL2. 
APS-c market was very disappointing and this will not be further explored.
These were the words of Mr Daniel in October 2021 at a talk in Wetzlar.

Well, I for one have pulled out   I’ll keep my CL- great camera- but the rest of my L mount journey will be with Panasonic and Sigma. Somebody is forgetting that the CL has been adopted by many SL and M users as a Barnack-like carry-everywhere camera or even as primary system as addition to their other or previous Leica products Can they really afford to chase a fair proportion of their core customer base into other makers’ arms? Not to mention that I am convinced that the CL,if it had had decent marketing support, would have made much more of an impact outside the Leica world. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

vor 10 Minuten schrieb jaapv:

Well, I for one have pulled out   I’ll keep my CL- great camera- but the rest of my L mount journey will be with Panasonic and Sigma. Somebody is forgetting that the CL has been adopted by many SL and M users as a Barnack-like carry-everywhere camera or even as primary system as addition to their other or previous Leica products Can they really afford to chase a fair proportion of their core customer base into other makers’ arms? Not to mention that I am convinced that the CL,if it had had decent marketing support, would have made much more of an impact outside the Leica world. 

Leica are a small company and cannot do everything, so very often plans have (and had) to be abandoned in order to survive. There is a worldwide interest in full frame cameras, they know it and will calculate the cost. More and more Asia is playing a role and some camera models do not sell as well as we may be thinking. This does not mean that the CL is/was a bad camera.

• Like 1

vor 11 Minuten schrieb Alexander-HH:

Not sure if I understand this right (no native speaker)... the decision has not yet been made?

That is what he said, but everyone in the room understood that there was little or no hope for a CL2. The original CL is a few years old already, and even if there are or were plans for a successor hidden in a drawer, it would be pretty late for the development and production. 

Edited by EUSe
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, EUSe said:

Leica are a small company and cannot do everything, so very often plans have (and had) to be abandoned in order to survive. There is a worldwide interest in full frame cameras, they know it and will calculate the cost. More and more Asia is playing a role and some camera models do not sell as well as we may be thinking. This does not mean that the CL is/was a bad camera.

Yes-but the CL is in the core of their historical design philosophy: small camera, big images. It is even proportioned like a Barnack camera. It would be logical to replace it by a similar design and form in full frame in the case that you describe. The miniaturization of the last years should make that possible, even if it would mean some restrictions like no IBIS. Suddenly the SL would have a compact entry level cousin. Set the MP count high enough to offer >20MP TL lens compatibility. 

• Like 11

"No decision has been made to continue the CL system" is not the same as "The CL line of products has been cancelled."

If the latter is true then I guess I will sell my Leica equipment and decamp to Fuji who seem to believe there's future in APSC systems and is prepared to invest in it. Other than a Q2 I see nothing of relevance to me in the rest of the Leica line up. 

As Jaap says - the CL is Barnack to the core in form an philosophy but I guess that heritage doesn't matter anymore.

Edited by Le Chef
  • Like 9