OhOh, future of CL?

PDP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 minutes ago, Kim Dahl said:

Yes, but honestly. … If they only start thinking about it now.  When - if ever - do we see anything in the market?  My advice now - (I can not wait 5/7 years) there is ONLY Leica M and Q left if you are for a smaller camera.  For everything else, buy another brand that has more security for the developer on its products.  SORRY Leica I'm so negative - but right now I'm just SO disappointed

I don`t see that as negative . Its sound advice , unfortunate but sound.

6 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

So the question then is do they have a compact FF camera in the works that would fulfill the interests of the CL/TL owners? Presumably they stopped CL development after they launched the last TL lens, so one hopes that 4 years on that new camera is ready for launch. CL owners have already nicknamed it "FFS"...

I honestly do not think you should believe it.  Maybe if we have 5 years to wait. I don’t.  And then maybe - so still not.  It's simply too insecure.  
If there was something on the way it would be really smart with a serious rumor if there is something new on the way in that lane.  I doubt…

• Like 1

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Kim Dahl:

Yes, but honestly. … If they only start thinking about it now.  When - if ever - do we see anything in the market?  My advice now - (I can not wait 5/7 years) there is ONLY Leica M and Q left if you are for a smaller camera.  For everything else, buy another brand that has more security for the developer on its products.  SORRY Leica I'm so negative - but right now I'm just SO disappointed

I think they had plans for a CL2, Leica Rumors even published the specifications. But this does not mean it will ever be produced. Apart from that, Leica may be good for a surprise, but I don’t think it will be an APS- C camera.

5 minutes ago, mikepower said:

Ja, det er skuffende som bruger af en CL, men jeg vil fortsætte med at bruge det samme kamera med mine to TL-objektiver. Den vil fortsætte med at tage billeder, indtil den en dag går i stykker. 

You're absolutely right. I want to use mine too.  But when I know there will be no more development I want to think about what I will do in the future.  But really my TL is not worse today than it was yesterday.

20 minutes ago, mikepower said:

Yes , it’s disappointing as a user of a CL , but I will continue using the same camera with my two TL lenses . It will continue to make photos until one day it will break down . 

I`ll continue to use my CL and the four TL lenses but that`s me finished with L mount. 

I don`t plan to get any more kit , I have enough , but if I did I`d go back to either Sony or Canon .

Edited by Michael Markey

Advertisement (gone after registration)

We are still in hearsay territory it appears, but I cannot feel but more than a little duped by the $$$ sunk into the TL lenses (a $%#! ton all of them except 18-56 and 60).  My heart hangs a little heavy.  I am also still hopeful that Lumix or Sigma will save our collective tails with an updated, relatively portable, weather sealed, image stabilized camera that will accept and image the lenses at an acceptable MP count. 

Have to admit I would not have gone down this path had I know Leica's propensity to ditch systems. 

I love my Q2 but can't see myself staying loyal to the brand if they pull this (insert invective here).

3 minutes ago, Michael Markey said:

I`ll continue to use my CL and the four TL lenses but that`s me finished with L mount. 

I don`t plan to get any more kit , I have enough but it I did I`d go back to either Sony or Canon .

I know it's a Leica forum.  But try the Canon R3 if you are ok with a large camera. Great but you will be surprised it does not weigh more.  Sharpness and colors completely in line with Leica.  But they do not have a replacement for CL / M or Q. But for L Mount they have….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alexander-HH said:

Not sure if I understand this right (no native speaker)... the decision has not yet been made?

Does it matter? Let's imagine tomorrow they decide to continue the CL line with a successor. You have to add at least 2 if not 3 years of development time, given that there's a semiconductor shortage with no end in sight (maybe 2022-2023), an upcoming M11, then successors to the Q and SL2 should be next in line. 

By that time, the sales of TL lenses will be basically close to zero, and not worth the effort of releasing a new camera model. Nobody would buy into a system with a 7-8 years release cycle either.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SoCalLeicanator said:

We are still in hearsay territory it appears, but I cannot feel but more than a little duped by the $$$ sunk into the TL lenses (a $%#! ton all of them except 18-56 and 60).

Heh - wanna round it out and get my 60 off me? Nearly new and a spectacular lens 😕

1 minute ago, Kim Dahl said:

I know it's a Leica forum.  But try the Canon R3 if you are ok with a large camera. Great but you will be surprised it does not weigh more.  Sharpness and colors completely in line with Leica.  But they do not have a replacement for CL / M or Q. But for L Mount they have….

I use to shoot a 5D 3/4 for years along side my  film M`s and my daughter has just bought one of the new bodies (can`t remember which one ) ,felt very nice .

I do like the Leica colours but when I flick through my ,considerable , back files and stop at a frame I like I`ve invariably made it with a Canon body .

11 minutes ago, Michael Markey said:

I don`t plan to get any more kit , I have enough , but it I did I`d go back to either Sony or Canon .

Me neither , it’s finished for me ! I will not invest in a company like this . It was the only thing that really interested me in there line of products and the M but with my eyes sight I can’t no longer use it . 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, EUSe said:

I agree and this is also what I concluded from Daniel‘s talk - FF is the future and they understand our wish for a small and compact camera.

Do you guys remember the Q survey from last summer? 

Some of the questions were about a Q with interchangeable lenses, but slower. I think the idea was to have a Q with 2-3 interchangeable small lenses in the 2.8 ballpark to keep them small

3 minutes ago, Michael Markey said:

I use to shoot a 5D 3/4 for years along side my  film M`s and my daughter has just bought one of the new bodies (can`t remember which one ) ,felt very nice .

I do like the Leica colours but when I flick through my ,considerable , back files and stop at a frame I like I`ve invariably made it with a Canon body .

I think Canon makes some great colors.  Especially for portraits and skin colors.  I do not think you will be disappointed.  I tried the R3 even before it was officially announced.

I think that Leica made a mistake with the CL. They really didn't want it to compete with the M. This is their mistake, they need to make every camera in their range as good as they can. I remember Clarkson getting very annoyed with Porsche for doing the same thing with their product range it was clear that the Cayman with its low centre of gravity and mid-engine configuration could challenge the 911, but they never allowed the Cayman to do that, the result he said left him disappointed because he felt it was a cynical way of designing cars. Leica did the same with this camera which is stupid, people who can afford M's are not going to buy the CL. Some people will buy the CL for it's size.

I strongly suspect Leica is losing out to both Sony and Fuji in this size range not because of price but because they have sand-bagged and now it is thoroughly underwhelming. Fuju have had a 26mp APS-C sensor for some years now and a 32mb could well be on the cards. I hope that Leica do update the CL and the TL, the TL is lovely they don't have to re-engineer it they just need to update it's sensor. The CL has some minor usability problems (Highlighted by Thorsten) and an old sensor.

I don't believe the lack of sales are anything to do with price nor demand. I also do not believe that it would cost a lot to update these cameras to massively increase their appeal. I strongly believe that Leica do not have their heart in it, they don't want to make a APS-C that they perceive will damage the sales of the M.

Unless there is a change is heart the CL will wither.

Edited by Paul Reading
  • Like 3