OhOh, future of CL?

PDP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 minutes ago, Enrique Santa said:

I think that you don't understand me. If Leica do what you say, this will be the end of Q and SL line for sure.

I did understand you actually, but I still think the Q and SL lines serve very different purposes.  My hypothetical FF L mount body would not be a good candidate for mounting the big SL zooms and neither will it be as good for cine; likewise, my hypothetical body plus a 28 Summilux-M or 28 Summicron SL will cost nearly twice as much as a Q.  At the margin, there may be some migration of customers between product lines but that is a net zero proposition for Leica.  

Better cannibalize your own product than waiting for someone else to cannibalize it for you is the adage.  If I were Leica's management, I'd think my biggest fear would be for Zeiss to begin selling an interchangeable mount version of their ZX camera capable of using their FF and APS-C AF lenses and (Z)M lenses via an adapter.   As I said before, such a camera is inevitable and I'd think Leica understands that.

6 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I think that the ZX is the last camera we will ever see from Zeiss...

The first iteration of the ZX is laughably bad so I might have picked a bad example, I see.  But I'm not sure if Zeiss will never get it right.  Leica managed to ship their first in-house digital camera getting the IR filtration wrong.  Everyone has to start from somewhere.  

Yes, but they gave up the film line, they gave up the development of an M digital competitor, their ZM  lens line never overtook Leica. I think they see the real future  of their photographic department with Zeiss lenses on Sony cameras. The ZX was an aberration or somebody's hobby-horse I think, not to waste the R&D they put into digital in the first decade of the century.

15 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Yes, but they gave up the film line, they gave up the development of an M digital competitor, their ZM  lens line never overtook Leica. I think they see the real future  of their photographic department with Zeiss lenses on Sony cameras. The ZX was an aberration or somebody's hobby-horse I think, not to waste the R&D they put into digital in the first decade of the century.

Interesting.  I don't know their more recent history even though I liked their products from the Contax/Kyocera days.  I have however noticed that the latest premium  lenses for Sony's mirrorless line have been their own G Master lenses as opposed to Zeiss offerings.  I'd have assumed Sony finally feels ready to be on their own.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Indeed a compact FF camera would not be as compact as the CL most probably, unless buyers accept an accessory EVF a la Sigma. Some good people here don't want that or even a bump as if FF did not take more room than APS. They could well get a baby monster a la Panasonic S5 instead... ;).

25 minutes ago, lct said:

Indeed a compact FF camera would not be as compact as the CL most probably, unless buyers accept an accessory EVF a la Sigma.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Its not too hard too imagine a FF CL in comparison to the already out sony 7c

https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/leica-cl-vs-sony-a7c

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IkarusJohn said:

No we don’t.

The Q camera has no mount and the shutter is built into the lens …

You're right the leaf shutter is no more and a focal plane shutter will need to be inserted.  But I think that's more to do with a slight increase in thickness.  Above I was more referring to the heat dissipation and extra image processing circuitry for FF with which the Q/Q2 has shown Leica is able to pack into a size much the same as the CL's. 

• Like 1

am sure more new cameras are coming ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

given that FF L mount lenses are larger than APS-C ICLs  ... How many Leica enthusiasts actually use their relatively very large FF L mount lenses on their CL and TL bodies?  

but the new Sigma lenses are all incredibly compact, and designed to be used on the FP. The ones I have are just a few mm bigger than the average M lens

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Enrique Santa said:

I think that you don't understand me. If Leica do what you say, this will be the end of Q and SL line for sure.

No, the SL line can continue in a smaller form factor, while the Q will always keep their loyal fanbase, because the body with an integrated lens will always be cheaper and have other advantages like the leaf shutter and probably a smaller footprint.

It's no secret that the Panasonic S serie got some traction only when the S5 was released, because people were not buying the bigger bodies. The S1R is already discontinued, for example.

I think Panasonic will release only S5 sized successors in the future, and if the SL3 will keep its current form factor, Leica will bleed even more customers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cboy said:

Its not too hard too imagine a FF CL in comparison to the already out sony 7c

https://www.apotelyt.com/compare-camera/leica-cl-vs-sony-a7c

Sure but Leica is not Sony. As far as TTL cameras are concerned, Leica has never been able to compete size wise w/o some Japanese help coming from companies like Minolta for R4 to R7 cameras. FF SLRs made by Leica alone (Leicaflex, R8, R9) have always been larger and current SL bodies make no exception. For now, the only help available would come from the L alliance i.e. Sigma or Panasonic i guess but as a Sony user myself i would not mind an A7C copy. I don't hold my breath though ;).

Edited by lct

26 minutes ago, frame-it said:

am sure more new cameras are coming ;)

Source?
What do the two middle columns mean - some with numbers, some with "Leica".
The dates look a bit random as days of the week? 16 October 2022 is a Sunday, so I guess they are not launch dates.

• Like 1

Yes just as in past when panasonic collaborated with leica to churn out compact aspc cameras, which were identical to each other except for cosmetic tweaks, they can do the same with a smaller FF  L mount camera comparable with others already in the market. However i wouldnt mind the cheaper panasonic version though 😉. Rebrands im ok with lol

Edited by cboy

10 minutes ago, cboy said:

Yes just as in past when panasonic collaborated with leica to churn out compact aspc cameras, which were identical to each other except for cosmetic tweaks, they can do the same with a smaller FF  L mount camera comparable with others already in the market. However i wouldnt mind the cheaper panasonic version though 😉. Rebrands im ok with lol

Problem is this compact FF L mount does not exist at Panasonic yet. Unless you consider the S5 as compact of course. Would you like it to replace your CL? Just curious as my Sony A7's have a similar size as the Pana S5 already so it is not my idea of compactness personally but YMMV.

41 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Source?
What do the two middle columns mean - some with numbers, some with "Leica".
The dates look a bit random as days of the week? 16 October 2022 is a Sunday, so I guess they are not launch dates.

the number is the model number of the camera i think 6376 is an M series...the dates are license/registration dates

similar sites like this one exist for most countries > https://fccid.io/N5A

https://fccid.io/N5A6376   >>> https://fccid.io/N5A6376/External-Photos/External-photos-4605459

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 2

Just spotted this. I think we all know the TL line is finished but it's the first time I've seen the 'flagship' Made in Germany lenses bundled into anything...

• Like 1