Survey Leica Product Development

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, NZDavid said:

Well, I think it's fantastic that Leica is asking for feedback! I enjoyed the survey and it didn't take very long. As I could only choose one product, my main camera is the M10 and I don't think its basic design needs changing at all! In fact, I would like to see other cameras following the same emphasis on compact size and simplicity of use, with traditional analog controls.

Today's cameras have gotten far too complicated -- so much so that I understand some people are put off photography altogether! 

It's not for nothing that the Q series is so popular.

I also think that  compact size is important and Leica has rather forgotten its Barnack roots: small camera, large picture.

This from The Leica's First 50 Years, by Bob Schwalberg, from November 1975, in The Best of Popular Photography: "There are two basically different approaches to technical instrument design. One starts by deciding all of the necessary functions, and then determines the size and shape required. The other begins by fixing a set of maximum dimensions, and then decides how many desirable functions can be contained. And this was Barnack's way." 

Edit: I should add that since then, it has become possible to cram a zillion functions into a tiny space with software -- however, that doesn't make a camera necessarily better or more usable. 

Or produce better photographs. The photographer still makes the difference.

William

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, willeica said:

This survey is aimed at a younger audience. For someone of my age and style of photography I found it difficult to make a useful comment...

Unfortunately I, too, found it impossible to offer anything constructive.

I started answering the form but almost from the outset the questions seemed to revolve (pun) around decisions about the design of a rear screen......and I use an M-D Typ-262 primarily because of its lack of rear screen and the implicaitions which goes with that ethos. There came a point when replying yet again 'I don't want a screen at all' seemed to have become just a bit pointless so I quit.

It's great to see that Leica is interested in feedback from the sort of people who will most likely be their typical target market but, personally, I had nothing meaningful to contribute. Saying 'Bring Back the sheer simplicity of the M-D with the M10 body-thickness' is hardly constructive yet it's exactly how I feel.

Philip.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The main problem with this survey is that it wasn't clear what the survey was about. Asking the public to respond to a wide ranging survey about preferences across all Leica camera models is a recipe for either fuzzy outcomes or over-emphasis on things a few people feel very strongly about. It makes sense to have a survey about specifics such as the rear screen and charging options, but it would have been helpful to know that beforehand. The people Leica need to hear from are (a) aficionados (here) who are likely to have an informed and, perhaps, pre-formed opinion and (b) the wider public who have never heard of LUF, may not have heard of Leica, but who might be nudged over the purchase line by specific features. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pippy said:

I use an M-D Typ-262 primarily because of its lack of rear screen and the implicaitions which goes with that ethos.

Have you considered that with a swivel screen you could turn the backscreen so the screen side will be on the inside? That way you would just need to apply some gaffer tape to seal it and have your custom D version. I actually know one person that does that with his Fuji mirrorless to keep himself from chimping.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

Have you considered that with a swivel screen you could turn the backscreen so the screen side will be on the inside? That way you would just need to apply some gaffer tape to seal it and have your custom D version. I actually know one person that does that with his Fuji mirrorless to keep himself from chimping.

Is it not possible to turn of auto-review on a Leica? I have my Sony cameras set this way to prevent chimping. My Leicas don’t have screens, I can’t see the image until I develop the film. 😁

8 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

Or perhaps I could simply snap it off entirely?........:lol:........

All kidding apart, Simone, I've actually had four digi-M bodies with a screen and believe me when I say I do understand that sometimes a screen can be a very useful tool to have at one's disposal. I still have an M Monochrom and do make good use the screen if needed and particularly when I'm shooting with the 21mm f4 Super-Angulon for two important reasons; firstly I don't have a 21mm finder (yet) and secondly because the TTL metering system can't work with this lens.

In fact for all my pro work I shoot tethered so I can inspect every frame I shoot in minute detail on my desktop screen - it's an absolute necessity and I couldn't work without that possibility.

But there is something very different about street-shooting with a Leica and using such a digi-body with absolutely no way of reviewing images before they are downloaded on to a computer and this is something which I just find works for me. I know it's not a typical nor very popular viewpoint and, of course, the sales figures bear that out. There were approximately 250,000 Leica M9 bodies sold. Sales of the M-D Typ-262? Approximately 1,500. So a mere 248,500 difference in sales terms.

But if we all liked the same thing?....

Philip.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mikemgb said:

...My Leicas don’t have screens, I can’t see the image until I develop the film. 😁...

You'd love the M-D Typ-262. It's exactly like using an M6 but with the convenience of digital work-load.

Philip.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, pippy said:

You'd love the M-D Typ-262. It's exactly like using an M6 but with the convenience of digital work-load.

Philip.

I’ve thought about it, but my favorite lens is a dual range summicron, when I finally buy a digital M it’ll have to be an M10. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 1:12 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

The main problem with this survey is that it wasn't clear what the survey was about. Asking the public to respond to a wide ranging survey about preferences across all Leica camera models is a recipe for either fuzzy outcomes or over-emphasis on things a few people feel very strongly about. It makes sense to have a survey about specifics such as the rear screen and charging options, but it would have been helpful to know that beforehand. The people Leica need to hear from are (a) aficionados (here) who are likely to have an informed and, perhaps, pre-formed opinion and (b) the wider public who have never heard of LUF, may not have heard of Leica, but who might be nudged over the purchase line by specific features. 

I agree about (b), but I have to assume that Leica is doing this through other surveys. I suspect that even if they were equipped with ‘flippy screens’ the decision of a newcomer to buy or not to buy a Leica would be based on other criteria as ‘flippy screens’ are now quite common.  Digital Ms could have ‘flippy screens’ as, apart from the D variants, they now have built in EVFs for the rear screen. I’m not a ‘flippy screen’ man myself, as, at 72, I like to do my photography from eye level standing up. 

William 

• Like 1

I don't think touchscreen controls are the best option for cameras. You've got a cell phone for that. It's far too easy to nudge the screen by mistake. The option of turning them off if not required would be welcome. 

Keep it compact, keep it simple!