Survey Leica Product Development

LUF Admin

My fab Leica cam is the CL so I use "other options". I hope the omission of this cam, does'nt mean apsc line is dead. Come on Leica give CL user a sing of live or some hope¡¡¡.

I only will buy an SL sucesor if it change to compact size , rangefinder style and much more lighter.

Edited by Enrique Santa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, willeica said:

This survey is aimed at a younger audience. For someone of my age and style of photography I found it difficult to make a useful comment.

William 

Thank you for calling me young. I certainly feel that way ;-).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ianman said:

Q: Which camera do you currently use most often?

A: MP

Q: How much influence did the graphical user interface on the display have on your purchase decision?

A: not relevant

So far, so good...

Q: What would you like to improve about the current graphical user interface on the display?*

A: eerrrrr

System: *"For this question, an answer is required."

Same experience here, as an M-A user who doesn't own any digital cameras.  Clearly the survey was not designed for users of Leica's film cameras.  After the third question in a row about displays I bailed out. 

The survey was oriented for investigating market response for a newer SL2. So question regarding M were not relevant.

• That implies a blind spot for those M-users that would like a E-body next to an M-body (these options don't have to be integrated, let them develop separately). Wanting two worlds served makes strange animals.
  • I would happily give the IBIS away of the S5 I have, for a small E-body with native M-lens handling. One might call it M-E. Note the hyphen - a world of difference between ME and M-E just like between MP and M-P, and between CL and CL, stop I am now getting confused , I mean CLE and CL...

Guest BlackBarn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, LUF Admin said:

Your participation and answers will help to better align future Leica products with customer needs.

It would be great if we could get as many Leica customers as possible to participate in order to give the Leica developers as good an idea as possible of what you want!

Next time you post something like this…make sure it is fit for purpose. 

Considering that the development of a leica takes 4 years this question are probably directed to a camera that should be the future of Leica.
This camera is probably an SL3. If that is the case the questions are all relevant.

Sadly all question where about interface and hardware. No mention of hobby project of FOTOS app, The lack of Flash support, or a proper costumer service.

Since the CL2 and M11 should come out soon, there is no change to be made for another few years.

8 hours ago, LUF Admin said:

Having TL2 or CL not on the list doesn't mean that your opinion is less important!

When making up a survey it's always a balance of usability and covering all possible options.

Please use the „Other Leica camera …“ option!

Andreas

With respect that wasn`t the question .

3 hours ago, Alberti said:

The survey was oriented for investigating market response for a newer SL2. So question regarding M were not relevant.

• That implies a blind spot for those M-users that would like a E-body next to an M-body (these options don't have to be integrated, let them develop separately). Wanting two worlds served makes strange animals.
  • I would happily give the IBIS away of the S5 I have, for a small E-body with native M-lens handling. One might call it M-E. Note the hyphen - a world of difference between ME and M-E just like between MP and M-P, and between CL and CL, stop I am now getting confused , I mean CLE and CL...

What is an E-body ??

3 hours ago, logan2z said:

Same experience here, as an M-A user who doesn't own any digital cameras.  Clearly the survey was not designed for users of Leica's film cameras.  After the third question in a row about displays I bailed out. 

I told them that menus are for restaurants.

William 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

In fairness, the survey is only for tilt display options and GUI improvements as far as I can see.  And that is fair enough, isn't it?

That said, I would like a survey at some point in time to state my preference for compact/ light weight / high quality optics as provided by the CL and hopefully successors.

This survey seems to be about product development, but only for the SL or its replacement?

So many more answers and customer input is needed to be heard from customers.  My wishes, (not covered by the survey)

would be for  a new SLxxx the size and weight of the M10 with an option to order either CCD or CMOS sensors in Monochrome.

Well, I think it's fantastic that Leica is asking for feedback! I enjoyed the survey and it didn't take very long. As I could only choose one product, my main camera is the M10 and I don't think its basic design needs changing at all! In fact, I would like to see other cameras following the same emphasis on compact size and simplicity of use, with traditional analog controls.

Today's cameras have gotten far too complicated -- so much so that I understand some people are put off photography altogether! 

It's not for nothing that the Q series is so popular.

I also think that  compact size is important and Leica has rather forgotten its Barnack roots: small camera, large picture.

This from The Leica's First 50 Years, by Bob Schwalberg, from November 1975, in The Best of Popular Photography: "There are two basically different approaches to technical instrument design. One starts by deciding all of the necessary functions, and then determines the size and shape required. The other begins by fixing a set of maximum dimensions, and then decides how many desirable functions can be contained. And this was Barnack's way." 

Edit: I should add that since then, it has become possible to cram a zillion functions into a tiny space with software -- however, that doesn't make a camera necessarily better or more usable. 

Edited by NZDavid
  • Like 3