What was the worst ?

Artin

6 hours ago, Artin said:

Let me start a new crazy topic. Tell us what was in your opinion the worst Leica lens you ever had. 

for me that had to be the 135 hector. It was nothing more then a paperweight.

If it does the job as a paperweight it is not so bad, a light M-28 Summaron would not manage as well😂

All bad sample lenses:  

35mm S lens borrowed from the S rep, the lens worked properly but imaging was far inferior to all other S lenses. 

35 Summicron ver? (early), a bad sample that could not render a single point anywhere in the frame clearly, from close up to infinity.  

The new 50/1.2 Noctilux, not a bad sample, however my Nikkor 50mm f1.2 was so close I returned the $8k lens. 

75/2 Apo, 2 lenses, one was horrible. A second copy is good but not as good  as it should be, despite that I like the rendering. It’s a 75 Apo Mandler. 

180/2.8 Apo R, another bad sample, my 180/2.8 R ver 2  otoh has IQ above what it should. 

To balance this out, Leica  lenses are generally stellar, and a good sample is a joy to use.  

I bought a 75mm Summilux from eBay which backfocused badly. I had to send it to service in Germany four times (!) before the issue was completely solved. It took a total of one year. Fortunately, I only had to pay for the first submission.

Too bad I had to sell the lens shortly after the focus finally was perfect. 😪

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I had a Noctilux F1, the one with the square hood. It was decentered. My dealer made no fuss about it, I think I changed it for a Summilux75. It was not so easy to detect it as a fault, because this lens is known for the fact that just outside the centre there is a loss of sharpness.

Edited by otto.f

3 minutes ago, evikne said:

I bought a 75mm Summilux from eBay which backfocused badly. I had to send it to service in Germany four times (!) before the issue was completely solved. It took a total of one year. Fortunately, I only had to pay for the first submission.

Too bad I had to sell the lens shortly after the focus finally was perfect. 😪

I guess that I'm lucky enough to avoid all those bad examples...😅

The thread seems to drift towards the worst lens copy rather than bad lens models. And I think that's fine, because there's already another thread about the worst Leica products.

Except from the focus issues, the 75mm Summilux is definitely one of the best Leica lenses I've ever owned.

Edited by evikne

The worst Leica M lens for me is the Summarit 50/1.5 in M mount - both wide open and closed down.

At f/1.5 it was pretty useless, bloomy with just a tiny sharp circle in the middle.
Stopped down it was perfect, sharp and all, but boring & totally lacking any life, pop and punch. No wonder, as it is NOT a "true"Leica lens (they were a Taylor, Taylor & Hobson/Cooke design, licensed to Schneider who sublicensed it to Leitz in 1935. In Wetzlar they called it Xenon and in 1949 started coating them & subsequently rebranding them to "Summarit". I have verified this story with Cooke recently).
Also a total nightmare to open for CLA without a diagram or knowledge.

Hard to say, as It took me decades to admit it.

As user, nothing to complain in my about hundred Leitz/Leica lenses I use(d).

Most of time, the lens in use is 'better' than me.

My worst only lens 'type' would be Tele-Elmarit 'thin' 2.8/90mm.

My first, 'new' I think, so long ago, had some severe flare in contre-jour, so I avoid this situation when I used the lens.

After many years of lightly use (having other heftier 90mm), I sold it 'cheap'.

Later, having bought another one, I don't know why ( maybe searching lighter 90mm ? ), same behavior, so second sold.

Histories repeated many times, untill now I keep one 'thin' TE 90 ( needless to say with the other 'thin' behavior ), and happy to do it this time,

knowing much better the 'thin' flaws to use when these flaws don't bother me.

Edited by a.noctilux

1 hour ago, Artin said:

The one you disliked for whatever reason. Image ? , handling? Character?  

I don't think that I have actively 'disliked' any Leica lens that I've owned. Some, like the 50/1 Noctilux, didn't really work well for me and others have gone because I have owned too many and have decided to only own what I use. In fact the only lens that I have genuinely 'disliked' was a Canon 24~105 which try as I might, I could not get on with, mostly due to its appalling distortions. Others like it well enough though. Other lenses have had flaws (such as zoom creep when facing downwards) but I rarely find that I 'dislike' such tools unless there is something fundamentally poor and unrectifiable about the way they work. Some lenses don't work as I want them too and they've gone but I can't remember actually 'disliking' any others.

Much the same - I've never had a lens I have been disappointed with, and I think you'd have to specify the criterion for defining worst. Judging by the speed and quantity of some owners' purchases, I'm not surprised they are disappointed. I try to understand the lens before I buy it and whether it will work for what I want it for, so I do not get disappointed. I guess I could define my worst lens at any one point as the one I have just sold or am about to sell. None at the moment. My least used lens at the moment is the 18-56TL, but I don't plan to sell it.  

3 hours ago, evikne said:

Except from the focus issues, the 75mm Summilux is definitely one of the best Leica lenses I've ever owned.

Don't get me wrong here. I really like the output and I've never had focus issues.

Thinking about it, the negative (for me) points I wrote above about this lens (too big, too heavy, too long focus throw) could just as easily be applied to another lens which is one of two of my most used in recent years.  :)

Worst i don't know but the lens i like the least of all my Leica M lenses is probably the Summaron 35/2.8 with goggles. Never found it sharp at f/2.8 and my copy is soft on edges and corners at almost all apertures below f/8. Flares a lot and is prone to CA with significant vignetting. Distortion is low though.