Options to replace the CL

1 hour ago, nicci78 said:

APO-SL 35 is way superior to TL 35. Less colour fringing, extreme sharpness, better contrast, etc...

'way superior'? My hyperbole sensor just hit overload, lights flashing, sirens wailing. I have both lenses and my CL photographs would have to be 'way superior' in quality for the SL 35 to be detectably better than the TL 35. The extra stop on the TL 35 is also of practical value.

• Like 1

I was always impressed with the CL with 35/1.4 indoors and 18-56 outdoor, but without a great fast mid-wide ( the 23/2 did not inspire ) the system feels incomplete. 

I gave in to technology yesterday and bought the Panasonic 50/1.8 and Sigma 35/2 L-mount lenses for use with the SL2-S when there is more unpredictable movement than I can not track with magnified view and M-lenses ( most frequently the superb 40/1.2 ). I am not looking for the ultimate quality and am still worried about the presence such a large camera will have in casual situations, so wanted to avoided the initial cost pain and possibility of soon selling off of a pair of SL Summicrons 

It's a bit annoying jumping between three camera sets : one casual use, walking and cycling (CL) ; one for low light with IBIS and action (SL2-S ) and one for classic photography (M). Perhaps the real unstated danger of the CL system is that with a little development it could do all tasks too well.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

'way superior'? My hyperbole sensor just hit overload, lights flashing, sirens wailing. I have both lenses and my CL photographs would have to be 'way superior' in quality for the SL 35 to be detectably better than the TL 35. The extra stop on the TL 35 is also of practical value.

Don't know what to say. It is noticeably superior, no argument. TL 35 is far from being a perfect lens. It is a lens with kind of character (because it is imperfect) 

So if someone wonder which one is the best. I can confidently say that APO-SL 35 is better in almost every regards than TL 35, except maximum aperture. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just to get  a bit back on topic..... The CL and for that matter the TL (I have that one), are special cameras that have a distinct following, obviously. I can't believe that Leica will just drop this mirrorless small camera line entirely and bank everything on a line that frankly, I don't really want since it is too big, out of my league price-wise etc.... But this still remains to be seen as there is still no definitive word out on the CL2, correct?

A question I have  though concerns the longevity of the TL / CL line. Now, all any of us have to do is to look at our phones and we know that they are designed to last only a few years until we are forced to get another. The TL / CL Leica's are not designed that poorly, so I would expect them to last 10 years or so. Thoughts on that? Perhaps more than 10 years?  But given the screens, how long will any camera with touchscreen and the works really last ? jim

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lmans said:

Just to get  a bit back on topic..... The CL and for that matter the TL (I have that one), are special cameras that have a distinct following, obviously. I can't believe that Leica will just drop this mirrorless small camera line entirely and bank everything on a line that frankly, I don't really want since it is too big, out of my league price-wise etc.... But this still remains to be seen as there is still no definitive word out on the CL2, correct?

A question I have  though concerns the longevity of the TL / CL line. Now, all any of us have to do is to look at our phones and we know that they are designed to last only a few years until we are forced to get another. The TL / CL Leica's are not designed that poorly, so I would expect them to last 10 years or so. Thoughts on that? Perhaps more than 10 years?  But given the screens, how long will any camera with touchscreen and the works really last ? jim

I can't answer that - I have never owned a digital camera for more than about 5 years! (I have owned film cameras for 20+ years: M2 and Pentax MX).
For just this reason I am less concerned about the longevity of the bodies than of the lenses.

13 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I can't answer that - I have never owned a digital camera for more than about 5 years! (I have owned film cameras for 20+ years: M2 and Pentax MX).
For just this reason I am less concerned about the longevity of the bodies than of the lenses.

I  too  have old cameras as my M3 is from 1962 and M6, but new cameras, and especially ones that rely more upon the screen....how long will they last and how much money do I pay for it! 🙂 jim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lmans said:

The question to ask is for how long it will be possible to have the camera serviced in case of problems.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, lmans said:

True, service is an issue and parts...but if the screen fails...it fails I imagine. But I haven't heard of that being a problem as of yet, so hopefully they last, jim

Leica has no more spare parts for M8 screens since 2012. 

Edited by lct

9 hours ago, Viv said:

I can't find a viable CL replacement. But I'm not worried.

I'll just keep my CL.

:D 

All this talk of replacing the CL, and I just had the whim the other day of buying a second CL body because it's such a useful camera. But then there's the Pixii 2 as well, if I want the optical rangefinder viewing system ... which is my primary motivation for wanting another M body.  Optical viewfinders are much easier to use in brightly lit circumstances, in my experience. 

I just might have to do that sometime next year... :)

G

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ramarren said:

:D 

All this talk of replacing the CL, and I just had the whim the other day of buying a second CL body because it's such a useful camera. But then there's the Pixii 2 as well, if I want the optical rangefinder viewing system ... which is my primary motivation for wanting another M body.  Optical viewfinders are much easier to use in brightly lit circumstances, in my experience. 

I just might have to do that sometime next year... :)

G

The Pixii.....Kind of forgot about that but thanks for the reminder.... I will have to do some thinking on this and look into it more. I have to admit, it has a unique idea but how long it will last....reliability etc.....still a but suspect I suppose. Anyone hear anything on this as of late? jim

1 hour ago, lmans said:

The Pixii.....Kind of forgot about that but thanks for the reminder.... I will have to do some thinking on this and look into it more. I have to admit, it has a unique idea but how long it will last....reliability etc.....still a but suspect I suppose. Anyone hear anything on this as of late? jim

There is an updated version (A1571) reviewed here (35mmmc.com).

I think Pixii is a company just waiting to be bought. A great idea and technology....but just not going anyplace. They need someone to come in and 'buy them out' and make them millionaires ....and then take the technology and apply it to their camera line. Give Pixii a huge name to tag onto and it will go someplace