Non Leica lens

Right now I have 3 non Leica lenses, with quick opinions, all are manual focus.

55 f1.4 7 Artisans, hits way above it's price range. Good for portrait and when you need a moderate telephoto.

35 f1.4 TTArtisan, a meh lens but it was $73, not terrible just meh.

40 Voigtlander f1.4 Nokton, I use this mostly with my M cameras but it is good on the CL, but it is an odd focal length on the CL. You need an M to L(T) adapter for this one.

Edited by tommonego@gmail.com

On 11/2/2021 at 1:18 PM, late9sound said:

I am just curious as to why non-Leica lens are used with Leica CL.  I am new with Leica and thought reasons to buy Leica is because of the lens.  Thank you for educating me on this subject.

Seems you entered Leica World through the CL door just like me, a year ago. Maybe for similar reasons, who knows. Which lens came with your CL?

On 11/2/2021 at 1:18 PM, late9sound said:

I am just curious as to why non-Leica lens are used with Leica CL.  I am new with Leica and thought reasons to buy Leica is because of the lens.  Thank you for educating me on this subject.

Reasons to buy a camera: quality, ergonomics and user interface. Reasons to use a lens: the image it projects onto the sensor. Neither is linked to a brand. User preference is the key factor. Price/result may enter the equation.

You have the two best lenses for CL; I have both and love them.

As for your initial question about non-Leica lenses; in my case, I still have several old manual Nikkor lenses from my film years that I am often using on my CL. It is always fun to use manual lenses for some shots when you feel patient, and the result is excellent.

On 11/5/2021 at 10:31 AM, Louis said:

You have the two best lenses for CL; I have both and love them.

As for your initial question about non-Leica lenses; in my case, I still have several old manual Nikkor lenses from my film years that I am often using on my CL. It is always fun to use manual lenses for some shots when you feel patient, and the result is excellent.

Thank you Louis.  Yes, I do love the 35/14 and 55-135mm indeed and probably will not bother with manual lenses.  After all, that's why I bought the CL to begin with.  I love the pictures you posted in the forum by the way.  Great stuff !!!

• Thanks 1

On 11/5/2021 at 1:52 PM, late9sound said:

Thank you all for your inputs.  I bought CL with 35mm/1.4 and recently got a 55-135mm.  Very happy with these two.  Now I understand there are much more nice lens out there that can be bought for much less....  Thanks again.

The 11-23 would finish off the hatrick in fine style :)

• Like 1

I was happy with my CL and TL set of lenses but found myself using ‘vintage’ and other full frame l mounts more often.

Sold the TL set to fund a Q2 which I adore.

Then dropped my CL in a river and decided an S5 was probably a better replacement for my ‘vintage’ and full frame l mounts given the eerie silence from Leica regarding CL2 and the cost of SL2-S.

I’ve got used to the size and controls of the S5 after initial shock and find the IBIS and weatherproofing with the Panny zooms a boon.

Might be heresy but I also find the results with my old manual glass better than or at very least comparable to the CL, almost certainly IBIS helping when over 90mm in my shaky hands.

• Like 1