Elmarit 28mm hood

FumihitoTF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello. I have the Elmarit 28mm f2.8 asph. But it is a 11606. I am embarrassed to say that I am a geek and prefer the 11677 hood. Some Leica users say that the 11606 is more compact and better, or that the 11677 has better image quality, but I don't know. I'm a nerd who chooses cameras based on looks, so the 11677 hood looks shiny to me, because the 11606 hood is plastic! Will there be a new metal hood for the 11606? If not, I'll have to get the 11677 after I give up the 11606. I know it seems a bit silly but LOL I'll wait for your reply.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FumihitoTF said:

...Will there be a new metal hood for the 11606?...

As that lens was replaced some six years ago I think it would be highly unlikely that Leica would introduce a new lenshood.

Would the later hood even fit on the earlier lens? The v1 has a clip-on fastening whereas the v2 has a screw-in hood.

Philip.

9 hours ago, pippy said:

As that lens was replaced some six years ago I think it would be highly unlikely that Leica would introduce a new lenshood.

Would the later hood even fit on the earlier lens? The v1 has a clip-on fastening whereas the v2 has a screw-in hood.

Philip.

Thanks for the reply. I had a vague idea, but it's sad to be confronted with the facts.
I think it's a good idea to put the 11606 up for sale and find a new 11677.

Sure you can use a metal hood on the Elmarit 28/2.8 asph v1 (11666), the superb 12504 below. It is less efficient than plastic 12524 & 12526 hoods but can be found in silver and "Hammertone" variants (below) with a bit of luck. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lct said:

Sure you can use a metal hood on the Elmarit 28/2.8 asph v1 (11666), the superb 12504 below. It is less efficient than plastic 12524 & 12526 hoods but can be found in silver and "Hammertone" variants (below) with a bit of luck. 

Thanks for the replies! I'm honestly not sure, selling Elmarit is only $1600 at best. The lowest price for a used 11677 is $1950. Is it worth paying the difference of $350 to roughly $500 or so? No, it's worth it, because the hood is cool. There is an alternative hood for the 11666 that you mentioned as another opinion, but it is $180 used. I'd be willing to pay the difference for some improved image quality and self-satisfaction. Thanks to both of you for answering my question!

2 hours ago, FumihitoTF said:

There is an alternative hood for the 11666 that you mentioned as another opinion, but it is $180 used

China made copies are available on e**y. I have one. Very nice really. I can even use its vented part to replace that of a genuine 12504. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, lct said:

That's an interesting combination - never thought of that (I have a V1 Elmarit 28 ASPH & 12504 hood, let me try it) though I thought there would have been a degree of vignetting using a 35mm hood on a 28mm lens - it actually looks great IMHO (see pic)

Edited by romualdo
  • Like 1

The hammertone finish hood (12548) was made for the Elmarit 28/2.8 asph v1:

On 11/2/2021 at 10:52 PM, lct said:

The hammertone finish hood (12548) was made for the Elmarit 28/2.8 asph v1:

On 11/2/2021 at 10:36 PM, romualdo said:

That's an interesting combination - never thought of that (I have a V1 Elmarit 28 ASPH & 12504 hood, let me try it) though I thought there would have been a degree of vignetting using a 35mm hood on a 28mm lens - it actually looks great IMHO (see pic)

Thank you for reply!

I think buy 12504 is better. Because I will get the new summicron 35mm asph. in near future , the hood is same with new Elmarit.

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 12:18 PM, lct said:

China made copies are available on e**y. I have one. Very nice really. I can even use its vented part to replace that of a genuine 12504. 

Interesting, lct!

Having knocked the 12526 hood off my 28 f2.8 v1 asph quite a few times I might well have a search for one of those. Does the clip-on segment work in just the same manner as the 12504 on that lens? I've just tried the Summilux' hood on the Elmarit and think it might be a good move to get something similar long-term to be more secure than is the 'right' hood.

Philip.

Edited by pippy

5 minutes ago, lct said:

Yes it does. I would not swear that the spring will last as long as the genuine one but the overall hood is more than decent. See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/154095242155?hash=item23e0cacbab:g:MyIAAOSwlWdfZr0K

Thanks for that, lct. Unfortunately (for me) written in red is 'Does not ship to United Kingdom' so I might have to do a bit of trawling to find something similar available in these post Brexit times. Either that or see if it can be ordered 'by my in-laws' and delivered to their address in France?...

Anyhow; food for thought!

Philip.

6 hours ago, lct said:

There are other ones but i have no experience with them...

Thanks for going that bit further; much appreciated.

If I do go down the '12504' route I will have to do my sums. Unfortunately once VAT and import duties are added it might be that I'd simply be better off buying a genuine 'user' hood on the s/h market here in the UK. Importing one of the hoods in the link would end up costing arouond $75 - $80 whereas one dealership currently has a choice of two (one fairly srcuffy / one VGC) for around $95 / $125......and I really don't mind scruffy!

Still; food for thought.

Thanks again!

Philip.

• Like 1

Interesting. Never thought of trying my 12585H on my Elmarit 28mm Mk1 but prompted by this thread (and an idle moment) I just tried it.  Fits ok so would be a useful standby should I ever lose the original hood.  Probably not quite as effective though, being intended for 35mm lens.

25 minutes ago, Keith (M) said:

Interesting. Never thought of trying my 12585H on my Elmarit 28mm Mk1 but prompted by this thread (and an idle moment) I just tried it.  Fits ok so would be a useful standby should I ever lose the original hood.  Probably not quite as effective though, being intended for 35mm lens...

FWIW, Keith, I have tried the 12585 with the same lens and there was vignetting. Can't remember if it was at all apertures though.  I'd suggest that you check your set up before you go out shooting properly.

Philip.

• Thanks 1

vor 44 Minuten schrieb Keith (M):

Probably not quite as effective though, being intended for 35mm lens.

?? If intended for a 35mm lens, it will actually be more effective than the dedicated hood, as a 35mm lens will have a smaller field of view than any 28mm lens (and so a 35mm lens hood is designed for a smaller viewing angle). You may want to check whether the 35mm hood, when used with your 28mm lens, causes vignetting (as it was designed for a smaller viewing angle).

Edited by wizard
addition of text