Are there software correction options for High ISO Moire?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So the digital correction of the Q series cameras has an unfortunate effect on moire/high ISO grain/something ..

Is there a good way to remove it?

I note you cannot use moire tool in LR on Q2M images (bw)

and that the Lightroom preview does not show this moire pattern at normal viewing unless you zoom in - but jpg shows it at normal viewing..

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by dancook

4 minutes ago, frame-it said:

why cant you use the moire tool in the brush? it doesnt work?

It doesn't work for BW images, the moire is also not that visible at normal viewing of LR preview

I did just figure out though, outputting to 1600px or larger results in moire

This was at 1550px

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by dancook

20 minutes ago, FrozenInTime said:

How far can you get with Gaussian blur before downscaling ?

I don't understand how Gaussian blur would help

I opened a file in photoshop, the curved moire is immediately visible - applying any amount of gaussian blur globally doesn't suggest any solution - it gives me just blurry moire

I keep wanting to help here, but since I don't use either the Q2M or any CMOS Monochrom, not sure what that would be.

I would note that I have seen complaints about "strange high-ISO shadow moiré problems" with the M10-M as well (although not quite as curvy as your samples - as you say, the software distortion correction is unique to the Q series).

A common theme might be that the 40Mp-plus CMOS Monochrom files seem to be extra-twitchy about 1) resampling of any kind (included tilts or rotations, but also simple scaling for posting), and 2) significant attempts at shadow recovery. (And again, as you mention, the Q also automatically does some resampling (creating a new pattern of pixels from the old) to fix the lens distortion.)

And that may come from the basic independence of every Monchrom pixel, compared to color images from the same silicon. The color images have to be de-Bayerized - share data to get full colors rather than just R, G, B. Neighboring pixels are therefore blended slightly in the conversions from a .DNG.

The Monochroms avoid that (which is what gives them their extra resolution - no "fuzzed" data between pixels) but that very lack of blending/averaging may make manipulations as described above more troublesome.

I kinda want to suggest that you maybe ask the mods to move this to the "Digital Post-processing Forum," where it might catch the eye of M10-M or CaptureOne users, and an otherwise wider audience, for more help.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 hours ago, dancook said:

It doesn't work for BW images, the moire is also not that visible at normal viewing of LR preview

I did just figure out though, outputting to 1600px or larger results in moire

This was at 1550px

You don't think this one is a little bit back focussed, Dan? The bag looks sharper than her eyes. So what, in a way, except there's no good torturing yourself about focus/sharpness if it's not quite there

ps edit - now I'm not sure. What a thing sharpness is. We could have an entire forum devoted to it.

Edited by antigallican

3 hours ago, antigallican said:

You don't think this one is a little bit back focussed, Dan? The bag looks sharper than her eyes. So what, in a way, except there's no good torturing yourself about focus/sharpness if it's not quite there

ps edit - now I'm not sure. What a thing sharpness is. We could have an entire forum devoted to it.

I did not give it a second thought :) it's fine for what it is - the poor lighting, low contrast face versus high contrast bag could give this effect.

Edited by dancook
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

The Topaz plug-ins are the perfect solution for grain, that may reduce the moiré as well. 

I bought (instead) DXO Pure RAW as it can batch hundreds of photos a lot faster than Topaz for equally exceptional results - though it requires colour raws to work :) - works with my professional workflow with the A1's though.