Jump to content

Hypothetical Question ??????? this should stir the pot


Artin
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

andybarton

Mods have been busy moderating this afternoon. Posters (with multiple registrations and names, all from the same desk) and posts have been removed, and banned as appropriate. Unfortunately, it is not possible to block IP address ranges, as there could be legitimate members posting from the same area. This person will continue to be dealt with appropriately, as I am sure that they have nothing better to do than re register here and troll. They have been trolling the forum for a while, a

LocalHero1953

Sorry - it was a tired sarcastic remark arising from one glass of red wine too many. The "it can't be an M if it doesn't have a rangefinder" statement comes up time after time, as if it made a hoot of difference to what cameras sell or don't sell. I can just imagine the discussion among the gnomes of Wetzlar "Oh f###, we can't make that camera, even thought it looks like an M, takes M lenses, and even walks like an M, and would sell like hot cakes, because it doesn't have a f###ing Messsucher in

adan

Ennnh. I'm 67+, suffering from glaucoma, macular degeneration, emergent cataracts, and rapidly-shifting optical prescriptions (due to the meds required for the first). Nevertheless, I can still focus a 135 f/4 and a 75mm f/1.4 consistently and sharply with the Leica(M10) rangefinder. Without embarassment (except when *I* screw up - which isn't the fault of the camera ). A little incipent primary tremor is the least of my problems, since I don't photograph "dead, motionless" stuff, but

Posted Images

vor 7 Stunden schrieb Artin:

Made in Japan not Germany

It's been several decades since Japan had low labour costs or low manufacturing costs.

Besides that, a solid state camera has its uses, and so - why not, if the camera does something I need?

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Matlock said:

 The 'M' stands for Messsucher or rangefinder in German. However the M1 and the MD series seem not to obey that rule.

Sorry - it was a tired sarcastic remark arising from one glass of red wine too many. The "it can't be an M if it doesn't have a rangefinder" statement comes up time after time, as if it made a hoot of difference to what cameras sell or don't sell. I can just imagine the discussion among the gnomes of Wetzlar "Oh f###, we can't make that camera, even thought it looks like an M, takes M lenses, and even walks like an M, and would sell like hot cakes, because it doesn't have a f###ing Messsucher in it".

(That's another tired sarcastic remark after yet another glass of red wine.)

Edited by LocalHero1953
Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, if we take our heads out of our arses for a moment, and look at the cameras Leica provides - Sinar in large format; S in medium format; L mount in APS-C and 135 format; M in 135 format; and then fixed lens 135 Q (ignoring the PanaLeicas), why would Leica make an EVF based M?  The M mount is a bit of a nightmare etc etc etc

Steve says a bit further back, that’s the Nikon Z7 (which isn’t optimised for M lenses); at times others, Jono included, have said the L mount is the future (with a whole host of things that don’t work with M lenses) …

But, actually, it’s all about the M mount and its lenses.  That’s the point.  Anything which expands demand and use of M lenses has to be a good thing, surely.  It’s a variant which can be dropped at any time.  Leica makes full frame cameras in M mount, L mount and fixed lens - the only one with an optical rangefinder is the M, yet it has the most loyal following, the most lenses and it’s most precious and unique selling point.  I can’t see why adding a more cost effective EVF version would do anything but increase sales.

Because, as I said above, M means Muppet …

 

Edited by IkarusJohn
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

Okay, if we take our heads out of our arses for a moment, and look at the cameras Leica provides - Sinar in large format; S in medium format; L mount in APS-C and 135 format; M in 135 format; and then fixed lens 135 Q (ignoring the PanaLeicas), why would Leica make an EVF based M?  The M mount is a bit of a nightmare etc etc etc

Steve says a bit further back, that’s the Nikon Z7 (which isn’t optimised for M lenses); at times others, Jono included, have said the L mount is the future (with a whole host of things that don’t work with M lenses) …

But, actually, it’s all about the M mount and its lenses.  That’s the point.  Anything which expands demand and use of M lenses has to be a good thing, surely.  It’s a variant which can be dropped at any time.  Leica makes full frame cameras in M mount, L mount and fixed lens - the only one with an optical rangefinder is the M, yet it has the most loyal following, the most lenses and it’s most precious and unique selling point.  I can’t see why adding a more cost effective EVF version would do anything but increase sales.

Because, as I said above, M means Muppet …

 

My point exactly.. the heart and soul  of Leica is 70 years of M lenses. There should be a bunch of bodies using the M lens.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Sorry - it was a tired sarcastic remark arising from one glass of red wine too many. The "it can't be an M if it doesn't have a rangefinder" statement comes up time after time, as if it made a hoot of difference to what cameras sell or don't sell. I can just imagine the discussion among the gnomes of Wetzlar "Oh f###, we can't make that camera, even thought it looks like an M, takes M lenses, and even walks like an M, and would sell like hot cakes, because it doesn't have a f###ing Messsucher in it".

(That's another tired sarcastic remark after yet another glass of red wine.)

That's all very well, but why didn't I get offered a glass?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

Feel free to pick any outstanding letter of the alphabet to call a native M mount mirrorless camera with EVF produced by Leica. 
maybe Leica E?

M mount is M mount. The evf mirrorless cameras are Q, L, S. You need or want an evf that’s what you pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Artin said:

My point exactly.. the heart and soul  of Leica is 70 years of M lenses. There should be a bunch of bodies using the M lens.  

Hear, hear.  It blows my mind that many other camera makers have not figured that out. 

Apparently their minds are just too fixated on the SLR and/or mirrorless design and worldview.

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, jdlaing said:

M mount is M mount. The evf mirrorless cameras are Q, L, S. You need or want an evf that’s what you pick.

Yes and none of those are really made to take an M mount lens without an adaptor , which is something that I am not personally fond of, This fucking stupid romance that people have with ,, oh M stands for Messsuere  god forbid if you ever loose sight of that.  Let’s put the M letter in a museum retire it the the Photo hall of fame 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Artin said:

Now along side they release another camera for the M No range finder .. high Rez EVF.. Ibis .. 40-50MPX..electronic shutter, stacked sensor .. Video.. manual focus M mount ... Made in Japan not Germany.. But high quality standards.  Relatively same size and layout of the M ...at $3500.00 US. Would you Buy one ??  

Sure i would and for more money too provided it is an M-mount camera. I have plenty of rangefinders already and i don't see the point of buying expensive 60MP (?) RF cameras unable to focus some fast or close focus lenses sans accessory EVF. M lenses deserve better than that. BTW why would such an M-mount camera be made in Japan? To reassure RF users? ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...